What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and A-League TV Audiences

Chook Norris

First Grade
So one of my mates insists that the A-league has overtaken the NRL in terms of popularity and I pointed to television audiences telling a different story.

I can't seem to find the best succinct source that offers a fair comparison ( given fta v pay tv) but I assume nrl games only shown on foxtel would offer a more equal comparison.

Does anyone have a sound source or perhaps even a list of games to compare ?

Incentive is waking him up to the fact that he's been brainwashed my mainstream media and that the a league is far from being popular

Cheers

I think it's a load of horseshit.

I do like my football (sokkah,) but there's no way it outrates the NRL. The game attendance is worse and I can't imagine the viewing being better than the NRL when they have four games FTA and full coverage on PTV.

no name

Coach
Ask 5 people at the pub who won the last 2 A League GFs.
Then ask them who won the last 2 NRL GFs.

Teddyboy

First Grade
What is the obsession with Soccer pricks wanting to take over other games...tunnel visoned wankers.

bnie7349

Juniors
I'm a Sydney FC member and I've lost count with the amount of deluded Sydney FC fans I have shut down who think that the A league is taking over. They always ask me whats it like attending games with good crowds because they think Sydney FC crowds are so much better than Roosters crowd but when I show them the actual statistics that prove that Roosters and Sydney FC are on par with each other, they are gobsmacked.

They just buy into the media bullshit like you mate does. I hope Parramatta Eels become a powerhouse again because if they do, their crowds would dwarf the Western Sydney wanderers crowds.

In terms of television ratings, I remember Womens cricket outrated the A league at some stage.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-...-big-bash-league-outrate-the-a-league/7253846

It's like the Peter Fitz article today saying the next fairytale is the Bears or the Jets..

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...for-nrl-title-fairytales-20161005-grvind.html

I particularly cite Norths.

If you were starting up a new club from scratch, and you were able to place on the table that we have the most beautiful suburban oval in all of Australia, positioned in a central location right by massive public transport infrastructure, wouldn't you be off to a good start? Now add that the same field is right by hundreds of enormous skyscrapers filled with wealthy workers who would just love to build Friday nights around going to see the team play. Throw in that they are now also aligned with the fastest growing region in Australia, the Central Coast. And then add their history! Pretty good argument for re-admission, yes? Particularly, for an NRL trying to stop the AFL from turning into the juggernaut that ate NSW.

A League and AFL aint killing NRL. But everyone thinks they are.

bnie7349

Juniors
Didn't Para in their two spoon years actually have a higher crowd average than WSW?

Not quite but the 2014 crowd average pretty much puts the wanderers to shame.

WSW

2012-13 14749 (Runners up)
2013-14 15171 (Runners up)
2014-15 12520 (Second Last)
2015-16 14711 (Runners up)

Eels

2012 14157 (Last)
2013 10910 (Last)
2014 18788 (10th)
2015 14596 (12th)

insert.pause

First Grade
super rugby outrates a-league in a cripple fight, they aren't in the same stratosphere as the NRL. The NRL gets more broadcast revenue in a year than the a-league gets in 5 years, and that's the old NRL TV deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only place soccer is stronger is at grass roots level. In terms of the professional level I wouldn't be surprised if more people watch EPL than aleague on tv.

There are probably 2-3 clubs of comparable size to mid NRL clubs in crowds and probably another couple if they were doing well.

docbrown

Coach
Only place soccer is stronger is at grass roots level. In terms of the professional level I wouldn't be surprised if more people watch EPL than aleague on tv.

There's a large percentage of Australian EPL viewers -- snobs if you will -- who view the A-League to be the equivalent of park football.

It's interesting how kids can play soccer for 5 years+ then ditch it altogether for AFL & NRL but it's what frequently happens. There seems to be a disconnect between playing the game and becoming a local club supporter.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yes it is a strange phenomena, similar to USA where jnr soccer is massive, but at professional level supporter base is minimal in comparison. It is probably a bit chicken and egg, similar to NRl trying to grow profile in non NRl regions, unless kids are exposed regularly to the top level, star players are pin ups on the walls, kids want to grow up being like their heroes, attachment to a club etc then it doesn't translate into supporting the top tier.

Ive got mates who have played soccer since kids, still play it as adults but wouldn't dream of going to a Glory game barring the occasional excuse for a pub crawl.

docbrown

Coach
People come to embrace sports for different reasons but it's definitely a culture issue.

For my money you can't substitute propaganda for parenting. If you can get a parent to share a moment with their child - to either watch on TV or attend a game - and make the connection between their familial relationship and the product (i.e. the sport) and make it meaningful -- it's something advertising money can never buy.

Think about your own experiences with sports. Everyone's different but for many they'll pinpoint a memory where Dad, Mum or Granddad etc said come watch this...