What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL blames under-achievers

Parra Guru

Coach
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/story/0,20797,19759627-10389,00.html

THE NRL has blamed "under-performing" teams such as the Sydney Roosters and Parramatta for an almost 10 per cent drop in crowds this year.

Average crowds have dipped 1544 a game from last year's record 16,469 to 14,925 over the first 18 rounds of the competition, leaving most clubs behind budget. The worst slides have been at the Warriors (down 34.67 per cent), Panthers (-23.06) and Roosters (-22.7) although the Warriors and Panthers have legitimate excuses for a drop-off in support.
There was a significant grassroots protest in Auckland when the NRL penalised the Warriors four premiership points before the season started for salary cap breaches.
Penrith was forced to play its first seven games on the road because its stadium was being redeveloped.
"Other than those two, the biggest falls have been at clubs which have not performed to their fans' expectations," NRL CEO David Gallop said last night.
"It's hard for fans to get excited when their sides are not winning and I think that has had a real effect at the Roosters and Parramatta.
"Apart from that, we have had a terrible run with wet weather for our so-called blockbuster games in Sydney. Last year we literally didn't have a wet weekend, this year we've had some shockers.
"We are still on track to have our second-best season on record for average crowds and our television ratings are still exceptional. A constant battle for rugby league is that it is such a good game on TV, people sometimes prefer to stay at home."
Gallop said the NRL still had several "blockbusters" to come before the finals, including Friday night's Dragons-Bulldogs showdown at Jubilee Stadium, to boost averages.
"We're not in a panic about crowd figures.We actually predicted the averages might be down a little this year after three record years in a row," he said.

The Colonel

Immortal
Not hard when our home ground average has dropped over 2900 people this year compared to last year.

Parra Guru

Coach
I think the headline is a little mis-leading, although there is a blatant lie in there:

Last year we literally didn't have a wet weekend, this year we've had some shockers.

Bull sh*t, I went to Parra vs Easts at the SFS on a Friday night followed by Tigers vs Saints on the Saturday and they left us drenched.

Do you think maybe it's the poor referees that are keeping some away?
I don't watch as many games as last year coz I'm sick of teams like souths getting the raw end of the stick with refs.
3 games every week seem to be decided on referee mistakes.

eel4life

Juniors
With the team struggling only the die hards will go, the parra vs storm game felt like it was only about 5000 at the ground even though the weather was pretty bad.

Parra vs Manly and Parra vs Dragons should be a big crowd, and if parra were doing better our average crowds would be higher.

When your team is winning and even if you get the rough end of the deal the fans will still turn up, its when your loosing they get fed up, stay home and watch it on tv.

eelz47

Coach
i think it has more to do with the general cost of living these games, look at the price of fuel:fist:. and most families cant afford to go to the games all the time

GAMEFIRST

Juniors
Gronk said:
Since when do the Roosters get good crowds anyway ?

For a 100 year club & an excellent 4-6 year era, they have dreadful crowds-whether the type of people they have as fans don't attend regularly or not, they are being overtaken/steamrolled by Swans in that type "yuppy" market-
i am starting to wonder whether they should go to Gosford as they have had their chance in their own traditional area and still are failing junior & CROWD development.

They get a good crowd for only blockbusters however in between time they have half the Storm crowd! (Even with their crowd over-quoting!!)

Am i too harsh or being honest??

Angry_eel

First Grade
we have done allright considering where we are atm. We didn't have a hope of makin the finals so the crowds stayed away.

GAMEFIRST

Juniors
Angry_eel said:
we have done allright considering where we are atm. We didn't have a hope of makin the finals so the crowds stayed away.

Totally agree- we have a consistent 10k plus even when we play the Cows OR Storm- but the roosters, i can't imagine what their real crowd is like when they play these teams?????? 3,500?

thedux

Juniors
I fail to see how the NRL can pinpoint certain sides for falling crowds. Last year the Dogs and Sharks were ordinary, so wouldn't you imagine that their success would offset ours and the Roosters decline... good diversion Gallop, you imbecile!!!

My Friend at the Dogs says that they are down about 10,000 a game because the are not having night games at Telstra, So I think you are right Dux, good diversion.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I read this today

I only get to see the games onTV

one thng is notice is that there are a lot of empty seats at Parra Stadium this year compared to last year

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'll make the call now..if we win our next 2 games the Moanly game at home will be sell out..Mark my words.

damo72

Juniors
Maybe they should look at the draw they gave the Eels before criticising them

Cowboys - don't bring any supporters with them
Panthers - spent all their money on flannies and ug boots
Tigers - not much drawing power really
Raiders - same as Cowboys
Roosters - don't have any supporters when they are losing
Storm - same as Raiders and Cowboys
Rabbitohs - thousands go to the rally but only hundreds to the games
Knights - maybe the only decent home match supporter wise that we have had

at least the last 3 games do have a bit of drawing power

Manly - everyone loves to hate Manly - even more so now
Dragons - alot of supporters will make the trip
Broncos - do have drawing power, as everyone wants to beat them

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
eelavation said:
I'll make the call now..if we win our next 2 games the Moanly game at home will be sell out..Mark my words.

tickets pronto Suity :arrow:

the last game I attended was the bronco's last year, that was worth the trip to Sydney

Freak2

Juniors
I honestly believe it is a combination of many different attributes that is to blame. One in particular that has not got a run is The World Cup!

Thousands of Sports fans are OS at the moment. Weather can take some responsibility, Melbourne at the top of the table is the biggest contributor. If it was the Eels, Warriors, Roosters or Tigers on top of the table i'm sure those sides would be getting close to capacity crowds Vs Melbourne's >10K.

A poor pre-season campaign is also to blame on comparison to years gone by.
The only real quality advertisement is on FOX.

Warriors losing 4 points before the comp started was a massive blow in a market that lives yawnion.

I hope our crowds rally towards the end of the season (and I'm sure they will) we have been poor IMO since our 2001 season.

Now with the BS no longer with us, some solid form and an exciting chalenge to make the 8. If we don't get crowds their over the next month maybe it should be us heading up the F3??