What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL breaks Melbourne tradition by hosting Good Friday clash

OVP

Coach
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26465108-5018851,00.html

NRL breaks Melbourne tradition by hosting Good Friday clash

By Scott Gullan
December 10, 2009 The AFL is under attack from another code, with the NRL breaking Melbourne sporting tradition yesterday.
Rugby league will be played on Good Friday next year, with reigning champions Melbourne Storm to host the St George Dragons at Etihad Stadium from 3.35pm.
The NRL move comes amid a war between AFL and football over the use of its indoor stadium as part of Australia's World Cup bid.
AFL boss Andrew Demetriou has consistently knocked back proposals from clubs about playing on the Easter holiday.
North Melbourne chief executive Eugene Arocca warned the AFL had to be careful about giving the NRL a free hit in their own back yard.
"As time goes by and something like this gains momentum, other codes come in and take that day in our own heartland, it starts to make you wonder when and if the AFL should do something about it," he said.
Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said the club was respectful of the religious significance of the day and would work in linking the game with the Royal Children's Hospital Appeal.
"We fully respect the religious aspect of the day, however, we would like to give people the choice to come along and support the charity by attending the game," he said.
"If we can make a success of this I would like to think on an ongoing basis an NRL Good Friday game in Melbourne will become synonymous with the Good Friday Appeal."
Carlton and Hawthorn were the latest clubs this year to make a submission to the AFL about playing on Good Friday. Reigning premiers Geelong and powerhouse Collingwood had also previously showed interest.
While the NRL has played games in the northern states on the holiday for several years, the AFL prefers to play on the Thursday night, with Brisbane to host Carlton at the Gabba on April 2.
A Footy Fans Survey of 25,000 people in June found more than 63 per cent were in support of Good Friday football. But the AFL has remained steadfast in its determination to keep the day football-free, despite acknowledging the shift in public opinion.
AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said: "Obviously the NRL has played on Good Friday for a number of years and it works really well for them, but this is just a point of difference between the two competitions."
New Hawthorn chief executive Stuart Fox last night encouraged the AFL to explore the possibility.
"I think you'd be foolish not to have a look at it. I think if you can get a big game and be promoting the right causes on the day then it's something you could do in the future," Fox said.

Good stuff NRL ... get that up ya Melbourne :D

Vic Mackey

Referee
whats the bet we'll see a north melbourne or richmond or some other melbourne club get a game rescheduled for good friday now

LESStar58

Referee
Good on ya Brian!

How about Vlad trying to take the moral high ground and Arocca getting toey! Watch the AFL schedule a game on Good Friday now, I guarantee it!

Good on ya Brian!

How about Vlad trying to take the moral high ground and Arocca getting toey! Watch the AFL schedule a game on Good Friday now, I guarantee it!
If they can take time out of their WC paranoia frenzy..they might think about it.:lol:

TheDalek079

Bench
why are they copying Easts? We have an annual ANZAC Day match...the Mexicans decide to have one. Easts play on Good Friday...now the Mexicans are too. Do they want to play Souffs in Round One too??

why are they copying Easts? We have an annual ANZAC Day match...the Mexicans decide to have one. Easts play on Good Friday...now the Mexicans are too. Do they want to play Souffs in Round One too??

You do know they have been playing TWO games on a Friday for a while now,so what excatly is your problem?

innsaneink

Referee

:lol:

Your av is hilarious, did you happen to miss this season just gone?

Good stuff putting the heat on AFL

E.T.D

Juniors
I could have sworn I was at Eithad Stadium in 2001 on Good Friday when the Storm belted the Northern Eagles.

It's not like a News Ltd journalist not to do their homework.

MsStorm

Bench
lol at Arocca saying another code is getting a free kick in afl heartland....bit hypocritical I think.

Anyway good stuff by the nrl and the storm, its just a shame the new stadium won't be ready for this game.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Ironically, theres a advertisement just above where im writing this with Collingwood all over it. They have infiltrated LU.

Also, is it all sports that stop in Melbourne on Good Friday or just AFL?

Paullyboy

Coach
3.35 is an odd time, most catholics go to church at 3pm on Good Friday, I'd much rather it was at 4 or 4.30

Bulldog Force

Referee
3.35 is an odd time, most catholics go to church at 3pm on Good Friday, I'd much rather it was at 4 or 4.30
I agree. It's a rather odd time to start a Good Friday match. Perhaps it's a one-off to see if the two games on Good Friday are better spaced apart (for ratings sake).

Waldron confirmed that Ch 9 won't be televising this game into Melbourne in primetime as it will compete with the Good Friday Appeal on Ch 7.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Waldron confirmed that Ch 9 won't be televising this game into Melbourne in primetime as it will compete with the Good Friday Appeal on Ch 7.
It's on at 3:30pm, why not just televise it live?

And what do they think will rate better? F**king Gilmore Girls? F**k off :x
Primetime as in 6pm-10pm or when it's on at 3:30?
I was asking myself the same question, either way they should give it a shot.

Latest posts