What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL breaks Melbourne tradition by hosting Good Friday clash

Well Waldron confirmed it wouldn't be on Ch 9 and the only way to see it at a reasonable time would be to get to the game. I'm guessing it will be in the usual midnight slot for friday night football.

Perth Red

Post Whore
wtf how can they get away with this.

look no further than the ceo we are stuck with for the next 5 yeasr!

3124269883.jpg

Big R

Juniors
Good on the NRL. The AFL are stuck in old mindset that this day is sacred... blah... blah ... blah.... when most of are us not even religious. So many people want an AFL match on Good Friday but its just the AFL heavy weights like Andrew Demetriou, Eddie McGuire and Caroline Wilson who think they speak for all of us. Will defintely be going along to this. If they get a big crowd then this will def eventually push the AFL in following. Then I can put on a Good Friday Multi :D

LESStar58

Referee
Good on the NRL. The AFL are stuck in old mindset that this day is sacred... blah... blah ... blah.... when most of are us not even religious. So many people want an AFL match on Good Friday but its just the AFL heavy weights like Andrew Demetriou, Eddie McGuire and Caroline Wilson who think they speak for all of us. Will defintely be going along to this. If they get a big crowd then this will def eventually push the AFL in following. Then I can put on a Good Friday Multi :D

Her? A heavyweight!? Don't make me laugh.... :lol:

whoops too late ;-)

She'll probably write an article on this closer to the time criticising us for which she'll hopefully be taken to task over by R. Masters on Offsiders. Bitter and twisted hag of a woman.

LESStar58

Referee
Well Waldron confirmed it wouldn't be on Ch 9 and the only way to see it at a reasonable time would be to get to the game. I'm guessing it will be in the usual midnight slot for friday night football.

Yeah and we all said it wouldn't rate and/or draw a crowd when the Storm played their prelim against the Broncos the night of the AFL GF. Look what happened. Reasonable crowd and unexpected ratings. I reckon they'll reassess it later on but TBH Waldron, in his role as CEO, should be making all sorts of noise to get this on tele.

And just for the record when and where did Brian say this? On SEN?

Last edited:

King Tigerman

Juniors
nrls been playing on good friday for nearly 20 years now , im surprised the AFL havent tried it themselves (day or night)
prob with the nrl good friday is it should be at olympic park get a good crowd of people who have been at the show all day (and good friday if its a nice day there would be 150000+ at the show) thats why they started good friday rugby league in the 1st place

Yeah and we all said it wouldn't rate and/or draw a crowd when the Storm played their prelim against the Broncos the night of the AFL GF. Look what happened. Reasonable crowd and unexpected ratings. I reckon they'll reassess it later on but TBH Waldron, in his role as CEO, should be making all sorts of noise to get this on tele.

And just for the record when and where did Brian say this? On SEN?

He said it during his hour on SEN. He said it was something the Storm discussed with Ch 9 because the Storm didn't want to compete with Ch 7s Good Friday Appeal. He said Jeff Browne from 9 agreed even though they have every right to show it.

MsStorm

Bench
He said it during his hour on SEN. He said it was something the Storm discussed with Ch 9 because the Storm didn't want to compete with Ch 7s Good Friday Appeal. He said Jeff Browne from 9 agreed even though they have every right to show it.

Didn't hear Brian on SEN, but I am guessing the GF Appeal on Ch.7 has a variety show on about 7pm and the Storm didn't want to impose on that.

Evenflow

Bench
Exactly. For once it's not the knobs at channel 9 who are the mastermind behind keeping the Storm off tv it's the Storm themselves this time. The RC hospital Good Friday appeal in an institution in Victoria that's been going 80 odd years which raises millions for the kids and Waldron said right from the start he didn't want in any way to work against that and only wanted to work with it.

I think the 2 could really compliment each other. I'm sure the Storm will announce fund raisers for the game and maybe donating a percentage of the takings from the gate to the hospital and if i'm not mistaken the actual appeal is broadcast from Etihad stadium these days so there'll be plenty of people around that vicinity who are all potential spectators.

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee

Just because they have evry right to show it doesn't men they would. Whatever they put on (Gilmore Girls re-run for instance) would get outrated by the GFA anyway. I reckon 9 are just being soft.

Thanks for the heads up. Doesn't affect me personally cos I will be there with bells on but I would have thought this was a top opportunity to showcase the reigning premiers on tele and give people something else to watch. I'm sure it will be heavily tied in with the day and people in Melbourne can see the effort going in rugby league's efforts in the community rather than just hearing about all the negative things.

Everyone concerned with getting the Storm on the box needs to grow a pair!

Evenflow

Bench
Why not show it from 4-6pm(1/2 hr delay ) & it would not be up against the telethon.

Yes it would be. The telephon starts about 7am and goes until midnight.

Just because they have evry right to show it doesn't men they would. Whatever they put on (Gilmore Girls re-run for instance) would get outrated by the GFA anyway. I reckon 9 are just being soft.

Everyone concerned with getting the Storm on the box needs to grow a pair!

I hate with a passion channel 9 as much as the next bloke but wake up to yourself on this occasion and look at the bigger picture and whats more important on that particular DAY. Its got f**k all to do with being soft, your own CEO has made it more than clear that he doesn't want to detract from the GF appeal in any way and if that means the game isn't shown live then so be it.

Of course he wants a great crowd at the game (which i have no doubt at all they'll get) but he doesn't want to take anything away from the telephon which certainly would if it was shown live. I'll say once more i hate 9 with a passion but get over yourself for this one special day and look at the big picture which are the kids. Your CEO can so surely you can as well.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Yes it would be. The telephon starts about 7am and goes until midnight.

I hate with a passion channel 9 as much as the next bloke but wake up to yourself on this occasion and look at the bigger picture and whats more important on that particular DAY. Its got f**k all to do with being soft, your own CEO has made it more than clear that he doesn't want to detract from the GF appeal in any way and if that means the game isn't shown live then so be it.

Of course he wants a great crowd at the game (which i have no doubt at all they'll get) but he doesn't want to take anything away from the telephon which certainly would if it was shown live. I'll say once more i hate 9 with a passion but get over yourself for this one special day and look at the big picture which are the kids. Your CEO can so surely you can as well.

So whats more disrespectful, showing the footy during the GF appeal, or the Gilmore Girls?

Evenflow

Bench
So whats more disrespectful, showing the footy during the GF appeal, or the Gilmore Girls?

Way to miss the point. Channel scum obviously have to show something but i'll repeat it's Brian Waldron and the Storm who have said right from the start they don't in any way want to take anything away from the GF appeal and if that means losing viewers for this game then so be it. I'd love to see the Storm on FTA as much as anybody but on this day at least there's something more important than tv ratings. Shock horror for some to fathom i know.

The'd more be hoping for a bumper crowd and working with the appeal to help raise money for it and i'm sure the Storm will do all they can to make that happen and to build this up into an annual event. With the right promotion i reckon they'll have no trouble at all drawing over 25K and IMO will be closer to 30K. Time will tell.

jpaciocco91

Juniors
It's on at 3:30pm, why not just televise it live?

And what do they think will rate better? F**king Gilmore Girls? F**k off :x

I was asking myself the same question, either way they should give it a shot.

They showed a re-run of the 1953 Clark Gable film Mogambo or some sh*t like that in Melbourne instead of the Dragons vs Eels finals week 1 game live. Considering Melbourne is the 'arts capital' of Sydney, the people down there would prefer a 56 year old film featuring a long dead man than a live nrl game with the nrls stars such as billy slater, cameron smith and greg inglis going head to head with jamie soward, brett morris and ben creagh. bloody mexicans they have terrible tastes.

Latest posts