What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL breaks Melbourne tradition by hosting Good Friday clash

parano1a

Juniors
They showed a re-run of the 1953 Clark Gable film Mogambo or some sh*t like that in Melbourne instead of the Dragons vs Eels finals week 1 game live. Considering Melbourne is the 'arts capital' of Sydney, the people down there would prefer a 56 year old film featuring a long dead man than a live nrl game with the nrls stars such as billy slater, cameron smith and greg inglis going head to head with jamie soward, brett morris and ben creagh. bloody mexicans they have terrible tastes.

Not only that, Nine showed the exact same movie three weeks later instead of showing the Storm play in the Toyota Under 20 Grand Final!

Don't blame the people of Victoria, we have no control over Nine's programming schedule. Blame David Gyngell, Len Downs, Michael Healy, et al. It's especially disgraceful now that they have a whole other channel (GO!) to run 50 year old movies, Gilmore Girls and whatever other crap people apparently like to watch on Sunday afternoons on.

Loudstrat

Coach
Shows that Waldron really has Melbourne on FTA in a reasonable hour on top of his priorities - NOT. Telethon - ffs. Pass the hat around at the game - and get it live.

No wonder the NRL is loath to push C9 on the issue if Waldron is so limp wristed.

jpaciocco91

Juniors
Not only that, Nine showed the exact same movie three weeks later instead of showing the Storm play in the Toyota Under 20 Grand Final!.

Wow. Feel sorry for you guys. I could imagine if I were deprived of watching Saints at any level play in a GF by having to watch the dead/nearly dead in a film about an African safari.

Don't blame the people of Victoria, we have no control over Nine's programming schedule. Blame David Gyngell, Len Downs, Michael Healy, et al. It's especially disgraceful now that they have a whole other channel (GO!) to run 50 year old movies, Gilmore Girls and whatever other crap people apparently like to watch on Sunday afternoons on.

Oh well, some people do like that rubbish. If thats the case then why run an old film instead of a live sports game on 9?

Fraser

fantastic news, should really promote the storm as the no.1 team in town and kill off any threat from the yawnion team

LESStar58

Referee
Yes it would be. The telephon starts about 7am and goes until midnight.

I hate with a passion channel 9 as much as the next bloke but wake up to yourself on this occasion and look at the bigger picture and whats more important on that particular DAY. Its got f**k all to do with being soft, your own CEO has made it more than clear that he doesn't want to detract from the GF appeal in any way and if that means the game isn't shown live then so be it.

Of course he wants a great crowd at the game (which i have no doubt at all they'll get) but he doesn't want to take anything away from the telephon which certainly would if it was shown live. I'll say once more i hate 9 with a passion but get over yourself for this one special day and look at the big picture which are the kids. Your CEO can so surely you can as well.

It WON'T take away from the broadcast of the telethon at all. That's the point. Nothing on any of the other Channels will make a dint in the GFA broadcast so why not just show it anyway? Again, I'll be there but FFS a game of football on Good Friday isn't going to upset the natural balance of things.

LESStar58

Referee
Way to miss the point. Channel scum obviously have to show something but i'll repeat it's Brian Waldron and the Storm who have said right from the start they don't in any way want to take anything away from the GF appeal and if that means losing viewers for this game then so be it. I'd love to see the Storm on FTA as much as anybody but on this day at least there's something more important than tv ratings. Shock horror for some to fathom i know.

The'd more be hoping for a bumper crowd and working with the appeal to help raise money for it and i'm sure the Storm will do all they can to make that happen and to build this up into an annual event. With the right promotion i reckon they'll have no trouble at all drawing over 25K and IMO will be closer to 30K. Time will tell.

OK then... so I guess there won't be a collectors going around shaking the cans, or a percentage of the gate going to to the appeal or any mention of the GFA being made over the public address before, during and after the clash? Perish the thought. They'll be pushing people to open up their hearts and their wallets and it'll be a considerable sum that gets donated on the day.

It's not being disrepectful to hold the game on the day so why would it be disrespectful to show it on TV?

As for the crowd. I'm going for 28K.