What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL chief executive declares GWS has two years to avoid failure

High Flyers

Juniors
I just noticed this article detailing Gallop's opinion on expansion. It’s interesting that lately he has been speaking out a lot more in regards to this and also the forthcoming afl expansion in to western Sydney. Are we seeing a new David Gallop? I for one have been critical of him in the past because he doesn’t represent the game enough in the media but this seems to be changing. More of this please gallop!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...to-avoid-failure/story-e6frf9jf-1225889566659

NRL chief executive David Gallop has warned the AFL's new Sydney club will wither unless it has rapid success.
Gallop is adamant the league does not have the luxury of time to win the hearts and minds of the community.
"In the fair-dinkum department in sport in this country, expansion needs to be pretty successful pretty quickly," Gallop said. "You need to be seeing some runs on the board quickly in the first couple of years.
"Clearly, you're going to say it might take some time if you're in their (the AFL's) shoes.
"But this is a tough market.
"The west of Sydney is genuinely our heartland.
"I don't think you can afford to be saying we'll just wait and wait for this investment to work."
The AFL has regularly stated the push into Sydney's west is a "generational decision".

But Gallop said the NRL had past experience of expansion clubs suffering a quick death.
In an extensive interview with the Herald Sun, Gallop said it would take more than Israel Folau's signature to win the battle.
"The key to it is, you can buy a headline with money, but you can't necessarily supply generational support and people genuinely being rusted on to their team," Gallop said.
"That's what we've got in western Sydney. That's what they (AFL) are trying to get.
"It's the most competitive football market in the world and the west of Sydney is probably the epicentre of competitiveness among the codes."
Gallop questioned the validity of the AFL's participation statistics, saying at times they were taken with a "grain of salt".
The most powerful man in NRL said he was not completely surprised when Karmichael Hunt defected to Gold Coast and then Folau followed.
"The rumours had been around for a long time," Gallop said.
"On a personal level, you never want to see young guys do badly so in my personal interest, I hope they're successful.
"From a business point of view, I hope their success is moderate."
Gallop is not concerned about losing another player to the AFL.
"Forking out that kind of money and using a marketing budget to do it, I don't think there will be a whole lot more of that until they see how those guys go."
Gallop said the AFL had to be careful not to upset the competitive balance of its competition by throwing cash at NRL stars.
"It's a massive punt to see if it bears fruit. It's also a massive punt in terms of the competitive balance of your competition - the draft, the salary cap," Gallop said.
"You need to be really careful with that stuff.
"The quality of your competition, which means fans of every team think they're a chance every weekend, is absolutely paramount.
"Dealing with each club consistently and evenly is paramount.
"Our quality of our comp, the competitiveness of our teams is fantastic at the moment - that's what makes broadcasters and sponsors interested in your product."

Brutus

Referee
But Gallop said the NRL had past experience of expansion clubs suffering a quick death.

Super League didn't help did it David.

Please tell us what you know about the death of the Western Reds and the Crushers David. We are all ears.

maybe hes been untethered

he is telling it like it is in this.

dont cop him out for that. other issues are in the past, and are really irrelevant now. they are buried, leave them there.

Brutus

Referee

dont cop him out for that. other issues are in the past, and are really irrelevant now. they are buried, leave them there.

Yes, it's refreshing that after 9 or so years in the job he's talking the way a CEO should talk. 9 long years....

It's still just reacting to what the AFL is doing. How about some action instead of reaction for once. Where is our expansion? What is our plan for the next generation?

Brutus

Referee
It's still just reacting to what the AFL is doing. How about some action instead of reaction for once. Where is our expansion? What is our plan for the next generation?

Apparently hinting at expansion in the media is as good as a concrete plan.

eagles4eva

First Grade
I just noticed this article detailing Gallop's opinion on expansion. It’s interesting that lately he has been speaking out a lot more in regards to this and also the forthcoming afl expansion in to western Sydney. Are we seeing a new David Gallop? I for one have been critical of him in the past because he doesn’t represent the game enough in the media but this seems to be changing. More of this please gallop!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...to-avoid-failure/story-e6frf9jf-1225889566659

NRL chief executive David Gallop has warned the AFL's new Sydney club will wither unless it has rapid success.
Gallop is adamant the league does not have the luxury of time to win the hearts and minds of the community.
"In the fair-dinkum department in sport in this country, expansion needs to be pretty successful pretty quickly," Gallop said. "You need to be seeing some runs on the board quickly in the first couple of years.
"Clearly, you're going to say it might take some time if you're in their (the AFL's) shoes.
"But this is a tough market.
"The west of Sydney is genuinely our heartland.
"I don't think you can afford to be saying we'll just wait and wait for this investment to work."
The AFL has regularly stated the push into Sydney's west is a "generational decision".

In an extensive interview with the Herald Sun, Gallop said it would take more than Israel Folau's signature to win the battle.
"The key to it is, you can buy a headline with money, but you can't necessarily supply generational support and people genuinely being rusted on to their team," Gallop said.
"That's what we've got in western Sydney. That's what they (AFL) are trying to get.
"It's the most competitive football market in the world and the west of Sydney is probably the epicentre of competitiveness among the codes."
Gallop questioned the validity of the AFL's participation statistics, saying at times they were taken with a "grain of salt".
The most powerful man in NRL said he was not completely surprised when Karmichael Hunt defected to Gold Coast and then Folau followed.
"The rumours had been around for a long time," Gallop said.
"On a personal level, you never want to see young guys do badly so in my personal interest, I hope they're successful.
"From a business point of view, I hope their success is moderate."
Gallop is not concerned about losing another player to the AFL.
"Forking out that kind of money and using a marketing budget to do it, I don't think there will be a whole lot more of that until they see how those guys go."
Gallop said the AFL had to be careful not to upset the competitive balance of its competition by throwing cash at NRL stars.
"It's a massive punt to see if it bears fruit. It's also a massive punt in terms of the competitive balance of your competition - the draft, the salary cap," Gallop said.
"You need to be really careful with that stuff.
"The quality of your competition, which means fans of every team think they're a chance every weekend, is absolutely paramount.
"Dealing with each club consistently and evenly is paramount.
"Our quality of our comp, the competitiveness of our teams is fantastic at the moment - that's what makes broadcasters and sponsors interested in your product."

That is a good point,

kmav23

Juniors
It all comes down to Money .eg Sydney swans was subsidised for a while

apparently they are willing to put in alot of money

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The AFL are asking for alot of pain.

Gallop also seems sto be really trying to get the point home that the AFL competition isnt a fair competition.

DC_fan

Coach
I don't often say this about David Gallop but what he said here was pure garbage.

Like AFL or not, but one thing you can say about them is that they don't give up on a expansion team. You can't say the same thing about the NRL.

The AFL are in this for the long haul. There aim is to dominate every state in the country and that includes NSW.

For me its just wishfull thinking on Gallops part. I am not an AFL fan, but I have no doubt that GWS will be here a lot longer then Gallop hopes it will.

RL1908

Bench
The AFL are asking for alot of pain.

Gallop also seems sto be really trying to get the point home that the AFL competition isnt a fair competition.

I was interviewed on Melb & Adelaide radio the day after the Storm penalty - I made the point that the Storm had in earlier seasons asked the NRL for concessions etc to ensure their competitiveness in a non-RL region, but it had been rejected each time as the NRL competition was based on equality (for better or worse).

I then said that if the NRL gave advantages to the Storm and Warriors that the AFL gave to its NSW and QLD clubs, there would be marching in streets of Sydney.

I then said I couldn't believe that fans of AFL clubs in Melbourne were so passive in their response to the AFL and its actions which ensured their club was further away from a Grand Final. I couldn't believe there was just silence from the interviewer for a good few seconds....as if they couldn't process the thought.

I've asked AFL fans about it, and most just shrug their shoulders and offer up something about "for the greater good of the game."

That's a very noble sentiment for fans & officials of these Melbourne AFL clubs to hold, but jeez, for all their apparent rabid support of their clubs, and for a code that has at its very core a draft and cap, it's an amazing (lack of) response.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

Pubes

You are so full of sh*t.

Remember News Limited - the guys who killed off clubs purely to further their Pay TV interests and line their pockets. Well, where did Gallop come from to be CEO of the NRL?
1. Experience in managing a code? No.
2. Intensive selection and vetting process? No.

He was and is a News Limited boy. That is his interest.

Picture this. If News Limited received research suggesting they would sell more papers if rugby league was dead, then News Limited would kill off rugby league in a second.

Why does anyone pretend that Gallop (on $400,000 per annum) is anything other than a News Limited lackey?

m0nty

Juniors
I seem to recall the Storm had success in its first two years, but that hadn't helped them grow their crowds before this year when they moved to Swan St. So much of the fast growth on an expansion franchise is reliant on good stadium deals which encourage families to come in droves for a decent viewing and crowd experience, which I think the AFL has got in place early doors. Plus they have much deeper pockets than the NRL, they can afford to eat losses for 20 years like they did with the Swans.

I do have concerns over how GWS is the poorer cousin of GC17, though. It seems to me that GC17 is almost a no-brainer, the crop of kids they will get this year will be fantastic, there's far more built-in AFL support on the Gold Coast, etc etc. In the case of the GWS, they haven't even thought up an actual name, mascot or colours for the club yet. It all looks like an afterthought to me. I don't know what is holding them up, they look to me like they're lagging in several key areas in getting contracts in place and fundamental parts of the club installed. Maybe Blacktown is a black hole like that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Our quality of our comp, the competitiveness of our teams is fantastic at the moment - that's what makes broadcasters and sponsors interested in your product."

yeh its worked real well in this regard so far!

I look forward to Gallop announcing significant development funds available to ensure the 2 expansion teams are succesful over the first couple of years of their lives.

kmav23

Juniors
I was interviewed on Melb & Adelaide radio the day after the Storm penalty - I made the point that the Storm had in earlier seasons asked the NRL for concessions etc to ensure their competitiveness in a non-RL region, but it had been rejected each time as the NRL competition was based on equality (for better or worse).

I then said that if the NRL gave advantages to the Storm and Warriors that the AFL gave to its NSW and QLD clubs, there would be marching in streets of Sydney.

I then said I couldn't believe that fans of AFL clubs in Melbourne were so passive in their response to the AFL and its actions which ensured their club was further away from a Grand Final. I couldn't believe there was just silence from the interviewer for a good few seconds....as if they couldn't process the thought.

I've asked AFL fans about it, and most just shrug their shoulders and offer up something about "for the greater good of the game."

That's a very noble sentiment for fans & officials of these Melbourne AFL clubs to hold, but jeez, for all their apparent rabid support of their clubs, and for a code that has at its very core a draft and cap, it's an amazing (lack of) response.

well its made the AFL more succesful by giving them concessions, all clubs and the game benefits overall in the long run.

thats better then then keeping crap clubs/prisons on lifes support like cronulla..

applesauce

Bench

But that is what RL is based upon, whoever is in power or has an influence it has always been "what's in it for me?" not "for the greater good".

First it was RL v RU.
Then NSWRL v QRL.
Then News v ARL
Then NRL v Clubs
Now Clubs v QRL
Now NRL v AFL, except the NRL hasn't unified before reacting to the AFL's attack, thus making it a one sided fight...

The sooner we collectively get on the same page the faster and further we will go.

RL1908

Bench
well its made the AFL more succesful by giving them concessions, all clubs and the game benefits overall in the long run.

Not arguing with that - but there is incongurity in the fans of Melbourne AFL clubs claiming to be the most passionate in the country (at times the world), yet they passively watch on while their club's chances of winning the premiership are handicapped.

RL1908

Bench
But that is what RL is based upon, whoever is in power or has an influence it has always been "what's in it for me?" not "for the greater good".

The sooner we collectively get on the same page the faster and further we will go.

All true - but when that has happened in RL there have been mumblings and complaints from those clubs missing out (or perceived to be missing out). I'm just intrigued as to why fans/officials of Melb AFL clubs are so passive in regard to their competitors being given a head start each season.

The concept of "the greater good" makes sense, and is ultimately the best path forward, but that sentiment surely doesn't extend to the blind faith of a club supporter who is seeing their club's chances being nobbled - if the NRL gave the Storm and Warriors the advantages that the AFL will give its two new expansion teams, fans/officials of Sydney RL clubs would be yelling long and loud against it.

Maybe the dissatisfaction in Melb AFL does exist and we just can't hear it up here - but it doesn't seem to be the case after looking around the web for evidence of it.