What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL chief executive declares GWS has two years to avoid failure

parano1a

Juniors
Gallop should spend less time sledging AFL and more time worrying about his own League. Getting NRL games live on TV in more than 2 states would be a good start.

I don't think it will be wildly popular but you can bet the AFL will throw every last cent at it to keep it affloat even if it is a total failure. They'll keep it alive any way they can bcause they see milage in having a team in western Sydney. Meanwhile the NRL don't even want to talk expansion, never mind back it. As cocky and deluded as the AFL is, it'd be nice to see the NRL show some of their initiative and follow-through.

Green Machine

First Grade
I was interviewed on Melb & Adelaide radio the day after the Storm penalty - I made the point that the Storm had in earlier seasons asked the NRL for concessions etc to ensure their competitiveness in a non-RL region, but it had been rejected each time as the NRL competition was based on equality (for better or worse).

I then said that if the NRL gave advantages to the Storm and Warriors that the AFL gave to its NSW and QLD clubs, there would be marching in streets of Sydney.

I then said I couldn't believe that fans of AFL clubs in Melbourne were so passive in their response to the AFL and its actions which ensured their club was further away from a Grand Final. I couldn't believe there was just silence from the interviewer for a good few seconds....as if they couldn't process the thought.

I've asked AFL fans about it, and most just shrug their shoulders and offer up something about "for the greater good of the game."

That's a very noble sentiment for fans & officials of these Melbourne AFL clubs to hold, but jeez, for all their apparent rabid support of their clubs, and for a code that has at its very core a draft and cap, it's an amazing (lack of) response.

That’s the difference between the AFL and Rugby League, the AFL has leadership and Rugby League has none. Imagine the reaction from the AFL if people in AFL media started criticising them for supporting the Lions, Swans, Gold Coast or GWS like certain sections of the Rugby League media criticise the Storm? Ray Hadley has called for the closing down of the Warriors and Storm. The Israel Folau selection in State of Origin just goes to show we have no control over the game. Andrew Demetriou leads the AFL media and fans along, similar to the way Ken Arthurson did in the 80’s and early 90’s. Andrew Demetriou has carte Blanche to do what the AFL Commission wants. David Gallop is like a politician with limit powers, leading his group (the NRL Clubs) on failed consensus policies.
David’s changing tone sounds like he is campaigning for the CEO’s position for the Independent Commission if it gets up and running,

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not arguing with that - but there is incongurity in the fans of Melbourne AFL clubs claiming to be the most passionate in the country (at times the world), yet they passively watch on while their club's chances of winning the premiership are handicapped.

Maybe they are altruistic and love the game more than the club? Or maybe they realise that a strong national comp has massive positive spin offs for their club. or maybe they realise that starting an expansion team in non heartland areas requires support?

Doomednow

Bench
A team should be able to support itself on its own merits. If it can't sustain itself in a region, then maybe that team doesn't deserve to be in the NRL competition. I would be one of those people marching in the streets if the Storm and Warriors were given extra advantages to ensure they make the finals most years.

kmav23

Juniors
Western Sydney AFL Team - Destined for failure. :cool:

AFL RECORD ON INTERSTATE EXPANSION

success
-Sydney
- Adelade
- Port Adelaide
- Freemenatle
-west coast
- Brisbane

I think their record in states speaks

we should not underestimate rival codes...

rule 1 always respect your enemy

kmav23

Juniors
A team should be able to support itself on its own merits. If it can't sustain itself in a region, then maybe that team doesn't deserve to be in the NRL competition. I would be one of those people marching in the streets if the Storm and Warriors were given extra advantages to ensure they make the finals most years.

some NRL clubs have been living off pokie machines / people losing money on gambling misery to survive

Cronulla should not be in the comp....

If you are a business person you know all new business often make losses and are subsidised in the first few years !!! for long term good of the game...

NRL needs Melbourne.... commercialy...

why do you think New LTD spent all that money

Why do you think Swans were subsidised by AFL

you need teams in the top 2 markets in aust

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

success
-Sydney
- Adelade
- Port Adelaide
- Freemenatle
-west coast
- Brisbane

Adelaide = heartland of the code my fijian unionista troll

Western Aus = Heartland.

Sydney had many different owners over the years from pink helicopter fans to mr Willesy (sp) himself, they only came decent during the SL war.

North Melbourne called Sydney home in the early 2000's and lasted half a season if that.

North Melbourne used Canberra till they got a better deal.

North Melbourne the Prostitutes used the Gold Coast until they were all used up.

The Brisbane bears had plenty of crowds around the 2,500 mark on the Gold Coast, they ended up merging with a Victorian club and relocating to survive, came good not long after the SL war.

Read all the fluffy pieces you like faffa, the facts are, the VFL has struggled as much as any other code in Australia when it comes to expansion.

otori

Juniors
Maybe they are altruistic and love the game more than the club? Or maybe they realise that a strong national comp has massive positive spin offs for their club. or maybe they realise that starting an expansion team in non heartland areas requires support?

While you're clearly pushing an agenda here, I do believe there is way more support for a national game coming from Melbourne AFL fans than there is from Sydney league fans. You only have to see some of the posters on this forum to realise that.

beave

Coach

success
-Sydney
- Adelade
- Port Adelaide
- Freemenatle
-west coast
- Brisbane

you really are an A+ genius.

Freemenatle?????

I can't even be bothered ripping your pathetic post to shreds, f**king spastic.

DC_fan

Coach
While you're clearly pushing an agenda here, I do believe there is way more support for a national game coming from Melbourne AFL fans than there is from Sydney league fans. You only have to see some of the posters on this forum to realise that.

Sooner or later, probably much sooner then some would like, both codes (NRL & AFL) will have to make the decision to cut teams from Sydney and Melbourne.

Canard

Immortal
"The quality of your competition, which means fans of every team think they're a chance every weekend, is absolutely paramount.

I haven't felt this way about my team for three seasons now.

some NRL clubs have been living off pokie machines / people losing money on gambling misery to survive

You are dumber than a bag of horse sh*t.
http://www.scopical.com.au/articles/...pokie-machines

Highlights of this one:

- Victorian AFL clubs had netted about $110 Million off strategically placed pokie machines across the state

- Monash University reports found that their was massive rorting by clubs, including skipping community obligations for the return of revenue, and the use of "team maintenance" reasons for the extraction of additional revenue through tax exemption schemes.

-Collingwood Football Club topping the list with about $30 Million

http://www.crikey.com.au/Media-Arts-...t-undoing.html

Take note AFL: pokies have undone the NRL

The timing of today’s story in The Age -- claiming AFL clubs are increasingly relying on gaming machine revenue, and maybe even rorting the community benefit scheme – could not come at a more inconvenient time.

Over to you brains.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21662008-2862,00.html

kmav23

Juniors
have you seen their club membership numbers... 45,000 each for collingwood and hawthorn...massive amounts of money from fans

they dont rely on pokies to survive wheres clubs like sharks do...