What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Coach Options

Bullseye

Juniors
Potter did a great job for us at Bradford in really difficult circumstances in 2012. The club nearly went out of business and he got fired as part of cost cutting. Despite that he stayed on for no pay and saw us do better than we had for quite a few years. The bloke is a legend over here.

He took on a side in 2011 that was rapidly going backwards and got us on the right path. He'll hopefully do the same for the Tigers.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Were Potter and Simmons both sacked from St.Helens, or was it just Royce?

Perth Tiger

Bench
Just Simmons

Potter was at Bradford who went into administration and had to sack all the coaching staff since they couldn't pay them. Potter stayed on for no pay and would of got them into the finals if not for the 6 point deduction for entering adminstration. Before that he was at Catalans

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I'll take Potter, but would rather have a dose of hot sauce down the Jap eye then have Royce back at the club, get rid of Georgallis as well. We need a complete restructure of the coaching staff.

hutch

First Grade
Potter is good. As long as it ain't k Walters or parish, but Simmons should be nowhere near the joint.

Potter is your best option, but whoever gets the gig will have to be a miricale worker to even get you near the 8 next season. You guys are in for a few lean seasons, despite what little optimism must be left in the Tigers joint.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
A complete change in perspective will be a breath of fresh air.

I'd still rather folkes though.

hutch

First Grade
Potter is your best option, but whoever gets the gig will have to be a miricale worker to even get you near the 8 next season. You guys are in for a few lean seasons, despite what little optimism must be left in the Tigers joint.

We will be better next year than we were this year.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think so as well but we have lost Ellis who has been our best forward. I think this year though was Ellis's worse season.

No doubting Ellis is a huge loss however I looked at his record this year and from the 11 games he played this year we won 3 and then won 8 of the 13 he didn't play. These might not be exact ad I'm going of memory however it was around that figure.

No doubting Ellis is a huge loss however I looked at his record this year and from the 11 games he played this year we won 3 and then won 8 of the 13 he didn't play. These might not be exact ad I'm going of memory however it was around that figure.
A ridiculous way to judge the impact/performance/value of a non-play making second rower. A half/hooker/five eight maybe can be judged in this manner but not a second rower.

Vic Mackey

Referee

I can see why you would think that howerver I disagree. I've always been very critical when it comes to the tigers, in 2008/09 I tipped them to finish bottom 4. 2013 is the first year where I really have ZERO confidene of predicting where we will finish. Things could very likely completely implode and we finish last, or a new coach could bring eveyone together and grab a top 4 spot. A team of:

1. Tedesco
2. Tuqiri/nofoaluma
3. Ayshford/simona
4. Lawrence
5. Korobiete
6. Marshall
7. Miller
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Fulton
12. Anasta
13. Blair
14. Pettybourne
15. Murdoch-Masila
16. Bell
17. Sironen
18. Utai
19. Fotuika
20. Humble
21. Moltzen
22. Sue
23. Santi
24. Thompson
25. Groat
26. Iosefa

Is still a very strong side on paper. Last year with an absolutely horrible injury run, idiotic positional selections, player and coach unharmony we still finished only 1 win out of the 8.

In 2013 we will hopefully have a coach with a winning record that doesn't play favorites and will actually pick players in their proper positions. Our reserve grade finished runners up, our 20s won the grand final by 40 points despite missing 3 junior kangaroos and we have the best young halfback and fullback in the 20s with a bit of luck ready to make the first grade spots their own.

Apart from Ellis we haven't lost anybody of note. I've wanted heighington gone for 2 years and whilst Ryan is solid, korobiete is already more dangerous then him and in 12-18 months nofoaluma should be too.

We will have no pressure and no expectations. I am quietly confident that if the players respond to potter (or whoever) we will make the 8 will little trouble. The club needed a breath of fresh air and it appears we are finally getting that.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Just Simmons

Potter was at Bradford who went into administration and had to sack all the coaching staff since they couldn't pay them. Potter stayed on for no pay and would of got them into the finals if not for the 6 point deduction for entering adminstration. Before that he was at Catalans
No, Potter was St Helens coach in 2009 and 2010. He wasn't very popular though, he was the first St Helens coach not to win a trophy since Super League began and they made no effort to keep him once his initial contract expired. Simmons succeeded him as Saints coach and was sacked after just over a year in charge.

Latest posts