What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Coming To NZ Schools

mikeob

Juniors

NRL to pour millions into NZ schools program​

Leaked documents reveal the strategic plan that will break rugby union’s grasp on New Zealand’s sporting landscape and it starts at the school level. Behind a paywall

NRL to pour millions into NZ schools program​

Leaked documents reveal the strategic plan that will break rugby union’s grasp on New Zealand’s sporting landscape and it starts at the school level. Behind a paywall
Bugger re: paywall, hopefully story gets picked up on a local site.

T to the T

Juniors
Bugger re: paywall, hopefully story gets picked up on a local site.

Leaked document reveals NRL and Warriors unprecedented mission to take on rugby union in NZ​

Leaked documents reveal the strategic plan that will break rugby union’s grasp on New Zealand’s sporting landscape, and change rugby league on both sides of the Tasman forever.
https://archive.is/CgxgV#share-tools

NRL: With starring performances early in the weekend, there is STILL debate as to who should be selected for State of Origin Game 1.
The NRL is poised to embark on the code’s most advanced infiltration of New Zealand rugby union with an investment plan that will be targeted at schools and culminate with a second team across the Tasman.
The battle plan to break rugby union’s stranglehold at a grassroots and professional level in New Zealand has been formed during a period of record crowds and TV ratings for the Warriors.
Warriors fever has gripped New Zealand, with Sunday’s match against the Dolphins in Auckland the club’s ninth consecutive sold-out home game.
The NRL has a range of reasons to take advantage of this opportunity, including:
* The push to include a second New Zealand NRL team via expansion;
* The tactics of New Zealand rugby schools to discourage students from taking up opportunities with the Warriors; and
* The threat of a civil war at the highest level in New Zealand rugby union.
The Sunday Telegraph has obtained the strategic plan which was designed by Warriors CEO Cameron George and presented to NRL CEO Andrew Abdo last week.

371b8037ed1867dd5841fcb44e61dd37d93aba0c.jpg

228bd4d48204a99f1177bf99ec7784a1df0084c7.jpg

It outlines the game’s focus to become the ‘premier sport’ by making New Zealand a breeding ground for NRL talent for the next 50 years.
It also details an action, strategy and investment plan that George believes will change the entire landscape of rugby league in New Zealand, and benefit all 17 clubs.
“We’re doing our job to fly the flag for the NRL and all the other clubs,’’ George said of the Warriors’ bid to embed rugby league into New Zealand.
“So it’s time. That’s why I went over to see Andrew Abdo.
“It’s just so unique that the ARL Commission and Peter V’landys can use our brand and our vehicle to grow the overall game for its future.
“I believe every other club would genuinely support the plan because it’s not like we (Warriors) can take every player.
“But what we can do is encourage every young kid and every potential coach to play rugby league.”

SCHOOL WORK

As it stands, the NRL doesn’t have a single schoolboy or girl competition, program or even an ambassador that runs junior boys and girls clinics in New Zealand.
The Warriors and the NZRL have largely been in charge of the game’s growth to this point.
Under the new plan, the NRL would invest like never before in grassroots and the school systems.
“This is about growing the entire NRL foundation in New Zealand over the next five, 10, 15 to 20 years,” George said.
“The more kids we can have playing rugby league in New Zealand, the more kids that will eventually be playing in the NRL.
“The schoolboy competition that I’m vigorously chasing, through funding domestically and also the NRL, is that any number of schools will participate in it, so that when a Pacific Island expansion strategy is put in place, the investment in the school systems and programs in New Zealand will be a very big answer to what they’re trying to achieve.”
Abdo confirmed the ARL Commission’s intent.
“We want to see more boys and girls in New Zealand aspiring to be NRL and NRLW players, and the Commission is working with the Warriors and all stakeholders to create an aggressive investment plan for New Zealand grassroots,” Abdo said.

CASE STUDY

George said that Melbourne Storm backrower Eliesa Katoa was the perfect example of an NRL player who could have been lost to rugby union because rugby league doesn’t have a presence at a schoolboy level.
“Eli Katoa is currently playing for Melbourne and originally comes from Tonga, but goes to Auckland for school, where he has to go to a rugby union college,” George said.
“But if we change tack, a player like Eli can come here (Auckland) and play rugby league at the elite level in the schoolboy system.
“Most of the kids, if not all of the kids (from the Pacific Islands) are coming here to play rugby union and then we’re taking them from rugby union, and then we’ve got to put them back into a rugby league system which takes them a few years to get going.
“If we’ve got 10 to 15 schools participating in a program dedicated to rugby league, we’re getting those teenagers from Samoa and Tonga straight into the system.
“Then what happens, because they’re in the system, they stay in their most comfortable lifestyle for longer, and stay in the game for longer, rather than getting taken to Australia at such a young age and then spat out because they had to leave home to join a dedicated rugby league program.”

ALL BLACKS

The NRL’s action plan is never more timely. According to reports last week, rugby in New Zealand is on the brink of civil war over a dispute between the country’s leading players and the NZR.
Despite the increasing tension at the highest level of rugby in New Zealand, George said this wasn’t about trying to usurp the might and power of the All Blacks in a country that treats the national rugby union team like a religion.
“The All Blacks and the Kiwis are the pinnacle of our two sports in New Zealand,” George said.
“We should always hold them in high regard because they represent our country. We do respect the All Blacks.
“But in a day-to-day retail market, where we’re playing week in and week out against rugby union, then well, we (NRL) should want to be the best choice for participation, engagement and attendance.”

SECOND NZ TEAM

The NRL is in the process of deciding whether to support a government-backed scheme to expand the competition into Papua New Guinea.
Many fans and media commentators, on the back of the Warriors’ success, believes New Zealand should be afforded a second team.
However, George said it would be premature to add another team across the Tasman without the NRL taking up a long-term strategy and investing in the grassroots and school system.
“You would not survive with a second New Zealand team right now,” George said.
“But in 10 years’ time you’re going to have more kids playing rugby league in New Zealand which is going to provide more rugby league talent to the game, which clearly answers the game’s expansion questions.”
The battle in on to win young fans over to rugby league. Picture: NRL Photos

The battle in on to win young fans over to rugby league. Picture: NRL Photos

YES, PRIME MINISTER

The Warriors pathways system is being blocked by the tactics of rugby schools in New Zealand, which have been known to discourage students from taking up opportunities with the Warriors.
George said he is willing to go all the way to the Prime Minister to put an end to powerful rugby union schools attempting to deter youngsters from playing league.
“I spoke to the education minister the other day and the sports minister in New Zealand has reached out,” George said.
“We’re having a discussion in the very near future about it.
“I’m not letting go of finding a solution because it’s completely unfair on kids and it shouldn’t be in our school system.
“If need be, we’ll be speaking to the Prime Minister’s office because I’m sure it’s not what he wants happening in his school system.’’

THE MUSCLE

With the powerful support of ARL chair V’landys, Abdo made his position clear on the code’s plan to invest in and support more kids to choose rugby league over rugby union in New Zealand.
“Whether it’s kids playing at grassroots, elite talent entering NRL pathways or families watching at the ground or on TV, we know New Zealanders are moving from rugby union to rugby league in droves and we want to encourage that trend,”Abdo said.
“If you want to see strength, speed and skill the choice has always been rugby league.
“The aim is for the NRL to cement its position as the premier live sport in New Zealand.
“The data shows that the Warriors have become New Zealand’s favourite team and a national icon.
“Covid kept the Warriors out of New Zealand, and yet despite that disruption on every key indicator rugby league is booming, including TV viewership which is up 36 per cent in New Zealand.
“Rugby league is the biggest sport community in the Pacific, and we want it to be the language that brings our entire region together, including in New Zealand.
“We’re thrilled to see the growth of the game in New Zealand, but the truth is we are only just getting started.”

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I think mid 90s was more pure league fans in its popularity, these days it’s sucking in all the outside floaters

One thing I’m certain of is that rugby has never been lower than it currently is in the perception of fans

Matua

Bench
I think mid 90s was more pure league fans in its popularity, these days it’s sucking in all the outside floaters

One thing I’m certain of is that rugby has never been lower than it currently is in the perception of fans
Yeah, I think mid 90s and early 2000s it was as big but without the social media hype train as it exists today. Even my die hard old school rugby uncle watched back then, he's not watching now because he's sick of the hype. BUt that's partly on him listening to talkback and Devlin.

Ironically, despite rugby being a mess off the field this year it's actually been cracking on the field.

@T to the T thanks for posting the article. I'm not sure of George has read the room (NZ) properly. Going hard at rugby in the media is only fine if the Warriors stay successful. If they resort to type the bandwagoners will go and it will be like the last decade again.

Also, threatening of going to the PM is just stupid.

I'm sick of the schools bullshit though. If a kid wants to play league, either go to a league school or don't sign up for the rugby team if you go to a rugby school if there's going to be crossover of training, trips and matches. Part of growing up is learning to make commitments and keeping them. Going to the best rugby school in NZ and thinking you can part time in the sport is just silly.

“Covid kept the Warriors out of New Zealand, and yet despite that disruption on every key indicator rugby league is booming, including TV viewership which is up 36 per cent in New Zealand.
In all honesty I think part of the hype was due to Covid. They got massive crowds on returning to NZ (something they hadn't been doing for years) and kept them when by accident of circumstances they landed Webster and some results.

But it's about time the NRL actually put their money where their mouth is and invested in the domestic game, because it's been left to rot over the years. If the NRL really wants league to dethrone rugby in NZ it's got to get more young kids playing and it's not an inviting game for them outside of maybe Auckland and Chch.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
"When was the game most popular in NZ" is an interesting question. SKY coming in and showing more NRL games definitely led to a boom in interest in the Winfield Cup in the early-90s which flowed into massive hype when the Warriors joined the comp.

In terms of the mainstream media presence of the local game I would say the peak was the 80s. There was a brief period of time where the local game was televised on FTA, the Kiwis were beating the Kangaroos, and most of those well-known Kiwis players were playing club footy in NZ. This was in a time where most sport was consumed on FTA TV and the public had fewer options for sport to consume.

Of course, it was the burgeoning popularity of the game in the 80s, which led to the increased interest in the Aussie game in the 90s, which led to the Warriors, the removal of transfer restrictions for players, and inexorably to the destruction of the local game once it became financially irrelevant to top players.

Matua

Bench
There was that sweet spot in the early to mid 90s when the Winfield Cup was televised on Sky and we got all games (at the time my cousins in Oz didn't get all games) and my mates and I would watch them all.

Then when Super Rugby started it was perfect as the rugby games were usually at 7:30pm, then the league at 9:30pm, which was perfect for watching and then heading out to the pub/clubs (I was a student at the time).

I do think social media is overhyping this current era. When on my most recent trip back to NZ I thought it would be constant Warriors but it wasn't really. There's some loud voices in the media/social media, and obviously the crowds are awesome but I think the early 2000s period was more of a boom time, even some of my diehard old rugby uncles got into the game during that era.

@T to the T thanks for posting the article. I'm not sure of George has read the room (NZ) properly. Going hard at rugby in the media is only fine if the Warriors stay successful. If they resort to type the bandwagoners will go and it will be like the last decade again.

Also, threatening of going to the PM is just stupid.

I'm sick of the schools bullshit though. If a kid wants to play league, either go to a league school or don't sign up for the rugby team if you go to a rugby school if there's going to be crossover of training, trips and matches. Part of growing up is learning to make commitments and keeping them. Going to the best rugby school in NZ and thinking you can part time in the sport is just silly.
100% agree. What really annoyed me also is how the media, and George himself to some extent, implied it was some kind of national conspiracy by all schools against RL, when in fact many schools quite happily support kids playing both codes.

De La Salle, St Pauls, and Kelston all field teams in both the Auckland 1st XV 1A comp, and the Auckland schools premier grade league competition. George will know this intimately given the relationship the club has with Kelston, so choosing to stay silent on that while joining the media pile-on that vilified Hamilton BHS was pretty poor IMO.

And as for playing the morality card about ‘letting kids be kids’, that’s a slippery slope to be preaching from when your sport is contracting kids as young as 15. That’s one NRL practice I’ve never been entirely comfortable with, especially when it involves relocating entire families across the ditch. The expectation that puts on young kids who are more likely to not make it than do, is a helluva burden.

This has been nothing but chatter and dick measuring among the rugby codes for as long as I can remember. The NRL are the catalyst for shit rugby league growth in NZ and the world. State of Origin being the obvious elephant in the room. It has put the growth of international rugby league on the back burner in a time where the Kiwis actually are strong and competitive than previous years. The NRL have had opportunities to strengthen the Warriors over the years and have mostly looked the other way. Those arseholes still owe the Warriors are lot with their services and Covid sacrifices.

Matua

Bench
This has been nothing but chatter and dick measuring among the rugby codes for as long as I can remember. The NRL are the catalyst for shit rugby league growth in NZ and the world. State of Origin being the obvious elephant in the room. It has put the growth of international rugby league on the back burner in a time where the Kiwis actually are strong and competitive than previous years. The NRL have had opportunities to strengthen the Warriors over the years and have mostly looked the other way. Those arseholes still owe the Warriors are lot with their services and Covid sacrifices.
Where do you live/come from? The two codes have coexisted peacefully in the Bay for the entirety of my life. My high school was hardcore rugby but had no issues with us playing league as long as we honoured our commitment to the teams. My Sunday league team was made up almost entirely of dual code players.

Agree with you re: NRL and Origin being shit for the game outside of Oz.

Where do you live/come from? The two codes have coexisted peacefully in the Bay for the entirety of my life. My high school was hardcore rugby but had no issues with us playing league as long as we honoured our commitment to the teams. My Sunday league team was made up almost entirely of dual code players.

Agree with you re: NRL and Origin being shit for the game outside of Oz.
I'm in Wellington. Porirua to be precise. Whilst our region was not too affected by the union vs league dick measuring contest other regions were certainly affected. There has been systematic influences and powers in schools to play union over league for a very long time, cases of bullying to the point where families feel pressured in making a decision for their child to play union over league. It was always seen as the bashing sport with no intelligence among the non working class folk influencing schools to take questionable tactics on retaining children to play union.

Did this not happen in your area? It's been known for a while but getting more light on it these days because of the Hamilton School fiasco. This is just one example that has attention there are many more to come out.

Matua

Bench
I'm in Wellington. Porirua to be precise. Whilst our region was not too affected by the union vs league dick measuring contest other regions were certainly affected. There has been systematic influences and powers in schools to play union over league for a very long time, cases of bullying to the point where families feel pressured in making a decision for their child to play union over league. It was always seen as the bashing sport with no intelligence among the non working class folk influencing schools to take questionable tactics on retaining children to play union.

Did this not happen in your area? It's been known for a while but getting more light on it these days because of the Hamilton School fiasco. This is just one example that has attention there are many more to come out.
No it didn't, thought I just explained that in my post above.

No it didn't, thought I just explained that in my post above.
My point it happens and is still happening. Sometimes when people are in their own fish bowl they don't realize the powers outside their fish bowl are damaging the game we all love. It may not be happeing in your perfect place in NZ but the rest have been battlaing uphill for decades.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Remember back at Intermediate we were finally allowed to have a league team. Got 1 game in, but a couple of brown eyes looking out the back window of the bus made that a 1 and done scenario

League was firing enough in the mid 90s, that we felt strong enough to start the Lion Red Cup. Concept was great but fell over after 3 seasons. A couple of iterations of the Bartercard Cup were great too

My point it happens and is still happening. Sometimes when people are in their own fish bowl they don't realize the powers outside their fish bowl are damaging the game we all love. It may not be happeing in your perfect place in NZ but the rest have been battlaing uphill for decades.
The reverse would apply too though right? If your community has been battling the bias for a long time, its easy to feel like its more widespread than perhaps it actually is.

From what I can tell in Auckland, its nowhere near as prevalent as it used to be. I mentioned earlier schools that play both 1A 1stXV and premier grade 1st XIII (I actually forgot MAGS as well) but all the other premier grade schools also play 1stXV 1B. They show how old prejudices have shifted.

As far as Hamilton BHS, its probably worth remembering they're arguably the most successful rugby school in the country and charge nearly 20k pa in tuition. Parents who pay that sort of money, or have accepted a scholarship, know exactly what they're committing their aspiring footy kids to. Complaining about the school's expectations after the fact is a bit rich from them IMO.

Matua

Bench
The reverse would apply too though right? If your community has been battling the bias for a long time, its easy to feel like its more widespread than perhaps it actually is.

From what I can tell in Auckland, its nowhere near as prevalent as it used to be. I mentioned earlier schools that play both 1A 1stXV and premier grade 1st XIII (I actually forgot MAGS as well) but all the other premier grade schools also play 1stXV 1B. They show how old prejudices have shifted.

As far as Hamilton BHS, its probably worth remembering they're arguably the most successful rugby school in the country and charge nearly 20k pa in tuition. Parents who pay that sort of money, or have accepted a scholarship, know exactly what they're committing their aspiring footy kids to. Complaining about the school's expectations after the fact is a bit rich from them IMO.
Some corrections on Hamilton Boys - it's a state school, it's free. The 20k is for international students and they have a boarding hostel which is about 13k a year.

But your point stands, it's a top rugby school and if you choose to send your school there, and want your kid to play rugby than you're exactly right, it's rich to complain when the school wants them to commit to the team and not miss matches, trainings and meetings to go to Warriors camps.

@Wheeled Warrior No need for the sarcastic "perfect place", sucks that it happened in your area, but it doesn't happen everywhere. This is how stupid the media beat up has been, in one article (opinion piece) they bemoan that kids are being banned from league, in another one a few days later they're going on about how many Warriors juniors go to rugby schools, while pretending it hasn't been that way for years.

@Beavers Headgear I loved the Lion Red Cup, had a few mates in the HB Unicorns and my Mum's mate was their treasurer so I went to all their home games and a few away ones when I was at uni.