What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL + concussion

eels_fan

First Grade
No extra players.

If you want a concussion backup, plan to only use 16 and then you have your 17th player as a fallback..simples....

Gazzamatta

Coach
Back in the good old days when I started watching footy, once a player was replaced he could not return. Said replacement player would have already played reserve grade on the day. Furthermore no player could be replaced after half time. Do I remember this correctly @lingard and @parra pete ?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Looks like the NRL caved. 18th man from rd 5 and that player has to “emerging”. Not sure if that means a development player, but if so why wouldn’t they just say that?

Only in one game in recorded NRL history has a team lost 3 players to HIAs in the same game - cronulla last week.

So effectively a rule has been made that may never come to fruition in the next 15 years.
I believe the thinking is that teams are taking concussions more seriously now, and that the increased sleep could be playing a part. Well that's what those guys on nrl360 think. We'll see. My guess is maybe the game is too fast this year.

Eelogical

Referee
Looks like the NRL caved. 18th man from rd 5 and that player has to “emerging”. Not sure if that means a development player, but if so why wouldn’t they just say that?

Knee-jerk reaction for mine, maybe they shouldn't tackle as hard. Maybe they should look at the use of headgear more seriously. I'd assume there have been advancements made in that area as far as minimising concussion.

Wally21

Bench
Back in the good old days when I started watching footy, once a player was replaced he could not return. Said replacement player would have already played reserve grade on the day. Furthermore no player could be replaced after half time. Do I remember this correctly @lingard and @parra pete ?
I think you are spot on Gazz except for the no player can be replaced after half time. As I recall you could replace 2 players at any stage in the match up until about ‘84 I think and then 4 players for a number of years after that.

84 Baby

Referee
I think you are spot on Gazz except for the no player can be replaced after half time. As I recall you could replace 2 players at any stage in the match up until about ‘84 I think and then 4 players for a number of years after that.
Did you call?

strider

Post Whore
Only in one game in recorded NRL history has a team lost 3 players to HIAs in the same game - cronulla last week.

So effectively a rule has been made that may never come to fruition in the next 15 years.
until the storm miraculously get 3 head knocks with 15 minutes to go and they manage to find an international quality player waiting to go

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
True but the counter argument is that they were all 80kg midgets. The speed and force of collisions these days is in a different league (no pun intended).

I reckon the balance is right at the moment. Last round was unusual and isn’t the sign of any trend yet.

parra pete

Referee

Yep, true...and later the rule was a replacement player had to had at LEAST a half a game in Reserve Grade to be eligible to sit on the bench.
I remember playing in the Group 17 Grand Final for Hay against Goolgowi in 1966. We were undefeated all season. In the Grand Final on a wet and soggy Hay Park Oval - we lost our representative winger, and a classy centre with broken collarbones after half time, had to finish the last 15 minutes with just 11 players. Got beaten 5-3. It was the last year of unlimited football. Next season saw the introduction of the four tackle rule. We won the comp that year....!!! Great memories...

Gazzamatta

Coach
I'm talking mid 60s when Channel 9 (Ron Casey) did the Sunday match of the day in B&W. They only did one half but unsure which half was telecast.
I'm pretty sure im correct with the replacement rules of the day. Parra Pete and Lingard will know.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yep, true...and later the rule was a replacement player had to had at LEAST a half a game in Reserve Grade to be eligible to sit on the bench.
I remember playing in the Group 17 Grand Final for Hay against Goolgowi in 1966. We were undefeated all season. In the Grand Final on a wet and soggy Hay Park Oval - we lost our representative winger, and a classy centre with broken collarbones after half time, had to finish the last 15 minutes with just 11 players. Got beaten 5-3. It was the last year of unlimited football. Next season saw the introduction of the four tackle rule. We won the comp that year....!!! Great memories...
Yeah. Pack of soft c*cks nowadays.