What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL + concussion

Gronk

Staff member
For the torts law fan bois. Talks about the James McManus case.

King-Gutho94

Coach
The question I have is players who play today have enough education to know they are risking a lot playing such a physical demanding sport.

Surely in the terms and conditions of contracts moving forward any player who signs an NRL contract is aware of the risks involved in playing the sport that could happen to life long concussion injuries. And waivers and agreements has to be signed that no legal action can be done moving forward.

Is it any different to waivers you have to sign when doing any adventure and adrenaline like skydiving, bungy jumping activities these days. All organisations make sure you sign before doing it that your agreeing to do it and they wont be liable for any injury or damages occurred.

Gronk

Staff member
So Peter Fitzsimmons wrote an opinion piece, cos that's what he gets paid to do I guess. It was aimed at Tedesco, but really was a commentary on what we know now about CTE and asks the question - are sports people being sensible about their own careers right now ?

Yes PF is a polarising figure, we all know that, but that doesn't mean that the question he raised wasn't valid.

James Graham has taken a swing in his podcast (good publicity no doubt) and basically said that PF is a merkin for writing it and how calling for a player to retire would upset people close to Teddy. I would have thought that there are plenty of journos in the past who have suggested the same thing to other NRL players ?

Sometimes I think that JG loses his temper about things and forgets the topic at hand. He just has a rant. (Andrew Davey ?)

Missed opportunity, rather than just saying "mind your own business" cos he's an outsider or he doesn't like him. IIRC JG has had a bit of a journey himself with concussion, he was on 360 early on as a player saying that he (paraphrasing) didn't care if he ended up a vegetable. Then after actually meeting with real doctors, he realized that these knocks caused irreversible damage. A silent slow burning injury to the brain that will/may come back to haunt you in your later years. He then changed his tune. So not sure why he simply chose to get angry and shut down the conversation.

Anyway it's good that concussion is being talked about in the public space.

1712815251142.png

King-Gutho94

Coach
Graham is right fitzy is a parasite just like his wife Wilkinson.

Why doesn't Fitzy talk about union for once the sport he actually played.

That's right it's as popular and interesting as a septic tank full of sewer.

I guess fitzy should be thankful of RL existence after all its keeping him in a job.

Suitman

Post Whore
So Peter Fitzsimmons wrote an opinion piece, cos that's what he gets paid to do I guess. It was aimed at Tedesco, but really was a commentary on what we know now about CTE and asks the question - are sports people being sensible about their own careers right now ?

Yes PF is a polarising figure, we all know that, but that doesn't mean that the question he raised wasn't valid.

James Graham has taken a swing in his podcast (good publicity no doubt) and basically said that PF is a merkin for writing it and how calling for a player to retire would upset people close to Teddy. I would have thought that there are plenty of journos in the past who have suggested the same thing to other NRL players ?

Sometimes I think that JG loses his temper about things and forgets the topic at hand. He just has a rant. (Andrew Davey ?)

Missed opportunity, rather than just saying "mind your own business" cos he's an outsider or he doesn't like him. IIRC JG has had a bit of a journey himself with concussion, he was on 360 early on as a player saying that he (paraphrasing) didn't care if he ended up a vegetable. Then after actually meeting with real doctors, he realized that these knocks caused irreversible damage. A silent slow burning injury to the brain that will/may come back to haunt you in your later years. He then changed his tune. So not sure why he simply chose to get angry and shut down the conversation.

Anyway it's good that concussion is being talked about in the public space.

View attachment 86433

I like James Graham. Why? Because he has changed his opinion on this very subject.
I despise PF because he is ALWAYS taking cheap pot shots at League so he has zero credibility IMO.
And furthermore, James Graham has history with Fitz.
He once tried to make a peace offering with him at a fund raiser they both attended and was completely snobbed by the bandana wearing twat.
You never see Fitz saying the same thing about RU players. He hates RL and will say anything to tear the game down. Forever.
Whether his opinion makes sense in this this situation is completely irrelevant. The guy is a complete tool.

the phantom menace

First Grade
I watched that movie Any Given Sunday last night on SBS or similar, and even 20 years ago that had a sub-plot of one player going against medical advice that his next head knock could badly damage or even kill him, just to play another year/playoff series/game for the team. If they did a sequel now that fictional player would probably be badly CTE effected.

On the topic of concussion - not having read PF's article - it is good it's being talked about and considered. PF is likely on his high horse against league because of some rule change in rugby union somewhere (northern hemisphere?) where I think tackling contact above the sternum is now a penalty...

Either way, we are facing a generation of former league players that a lot of us grew up watching now at large risk of developing CTE or similar brain injury repercussions suffered during a career in professional contact sport to entertain us.

Gronk

Staff member
I watched that movie Any Given Sunday last night on SBS or similar, and even 20 years ago that had a sub-plot of one player going against medical advice that his next head knock could badly damage or even kill him, just to play another year/playoff series/game for the team. If they did a sequel now that fictional player would probably be badly CTE effected.

On the topic of concussion - not having read PF's article - it is good it's being talked about and considered. PF is likely on his high horse against league because of some rule change in rugby union somewhere (northern hemisphere?) where I think tackling contact above the sternum is now a penalty...

Either way, we are facing a generation of former league players that a lot of us grew up watching now at large risk of developing CTE or similar brain injury repercussions suffered during a career in professional contact sport to entertain us.
Agree that it should be talked about.

I know that PF fires shots over the bow of NRL often, but at the end of the day he was an elite sportsman from a contact sport. Other polarising figures like Anthony Mundine say a lot of stuff - and his opinion often gets immediately dismissed as well - but should we listen when it comes to serious topics like CTE ? It would be foolish not to.