What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL + concussion

Gronk

Staff member
PARRAMATTA co-captain Tim Mannah admits he's concerned the NRL's new concussion laws could be exploited by teams for the free interchange.
Mannah is pleased the game is prioritising player welfare but says the new rules should be treated more as a trial than the final solution.

The front rower was stunned for a moment and unable to get to his feet early in Sunday's clash with the Warriors, and was taken from the field for cognitive testing under the strict new guidelines.
After sitting the concussion test which takes 8-10 minutes, the club doctor cleared Mannah to return to the field inside the 15-minute allocated period, meaning his time off the field, with Darcy Lussick on in his place, didn't count for an interchange.
Mannah was one of only two players from round one matches who was passed to return, while the other six were ruled out and their interchanges counted when they couldn't come back within 15 minutes.

Although Parramatta could in no way be accused of manipulating the system, Mannah warned it could be something the NRL needs to look out for.
``Because you get free interchanges, I think down the track they've got to make sure with how they determine how bad the concussion is,'' Mannah said.
``If you get dazy do you get off? Concussed? You just have to look at the degrees of concussion.
``I think it's great they're considering the player welfare, it's awesome.

``What the best way of doing it is, I'm not sure. It's a bit of a trial to see how this goes because I think there's potential for it to not work out as good as they hoped, so you just have to wait and see I guess.''
Mannah isn't the only NRL player with some queries to come out of the opening week of action.
Cronulla star Wade Graham said after Monday night's clash with Gold Coast that he was puzzled as to why opposition winger David Mead wasn't taken off for assessment despite staying down long enough after a high shot for a penalty to be awarded.

`The bloke stayed down, they've had a check upstairs and they've found there was contact with the head,'' said five-eighth Graham.
``I don't know what the new five-point-plan is but obviously, staying down, there's got to be an indication he's hurt and if there's head contact, it's got to be something with the head.
``I was a bit confused by that.''
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...+dailytelegraphnrlndm+(Daily+Telegraph+|+NRL)

Sphagnum

Coach
The NRL needs to have a 'concussion' doctor at each game. Independent assessment is done, if the player isn't concussed, the interchange isn't free, if the player is concussed, the independent doctor decides, based on medical evidence, whether he is fit to take the field again.

Problem solved.

Eels Dude

Coach
The NRL needs to have a 'concussion' doctor at each game. Independent assessment is done, if the player isn't concussed, the interchange isn't free, if the player is concussed, the independent doctor decides, based on medical evidence, whether he is fit to take the field again.

Problem solved.

This was one thing that was confusing me, but who actually makes the decision to take a player off for a concussion test, is it the referees? or the coach or player? 8 in a whole round of football sounds a lot.

So what you're suggesting is if the player isn't concussed the interchange isn't free? That's the opposite of how it stands now isn't?

Daneel

Bench
This was one thing that was confusing me, but who actually makes the decision to take a player off for a concussion test, is it the referees? or the coach or player? 8 in a whole round of football sounds a lot.

So what you're suggesting is if the player isn't concussed the interchange isn't free? That's the opposite of how it stands now isn't?

From the sounds of it yes. If the player is concussed then you lose an interchange. If not he can go back on and no interchange is charged for either going off or coming back on.
It Makes more sense that way when you think about it. You need to encourage clubs to get players off and charging them an interchange for a player not being concussed will only do the opposite

Haynzy

First Grade
Except then you'll have guys staying on who have had knock like Tim's just in case they aren't concussed enough for the freebie.

That's what they're trying to avoid so that it doesn't come back to bite them on the bum in 20 years.

Gronk

Staff member
AFL approves medical substitute rule on eve of 2021 season

AFL players substituted off through injuries unrelated to concussions will not face a mandatory 12-day break under the league’s new medical substitute rule, which has been introduced just a day out from the 2021 season opener.

Clubs will have a 23rd man in their squad but that player will only be activated into the match if there is a game-ending injury, with a club medical officer to determine if a player is unfit to continue.

“A player who was substituted out of the game with concussion will be sidelined for a minimum of 12 days,” AFL football boss Steve Hocking said at the MCG on Wednesday.

“When a doctor substitutes a player out of the game with an injury, other than concussion, the doctor at the time would be deeming the injury to be one of a nature that would see a player sidelined for a minimum of 12 days.”

The idea for a substitute originated around concussion, after the league in January tightened rules over medical head knocks, but coaches were unanimous in wanting a substitution for any serious injury.

If an AFL player is deemed to have a medically diagnosed concussion they will now automatically be sidelined for 12 days – but Hocking confirmed the same mandatory break did not apply to other injuries.

Therefore, if a player was substituted out of a match with a game-ending injury other than concussion, they could conceivably play the next week.

“In the case of a player potentially recovering sooner than expected during the week, then the club doctor can actually provide a medical certificate and further proof, if required,” Hocking said. “That is correct [there is not a mandated 12-day break for players with non-concussion injuries].”

Hocking confirmed there were sanctions in place in a bid to deter manipulation of the rule. “The safeguards are within the AFL rules – it’s conduct unbecoming,” he said. “We can actually apply that at any point we need to.”

The AFLPA had been critical of the move, declaring any change to playing numbers in a game-day squad should have happened much earlier, but Blues coach David Teague backed the change.

“I think they have added the sub to be make it fairer if you lose a player, so why limit it to concussion?,” he said.

The substitute will be confirmed 60 minutes prior to a game starting and can only be chosen from the listed emergency players. They can be activated at any time of the game, including if teams have completed their 75 interchanges.

The substitute will receive a full match payment – outside the cap – and would receive a premiership medal if they were a member of a winning grand final team, even if they did not take to the field.

Games as substitutes will count towards players’ career games tallies, even if they are not activated, while substitutes would also be eligible to play at state league level that week.

Between 2011 and 2015, the AFL cut the interchange from four players to three but a substitute was allowed into the game for any reason.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/16/afl-concussion-substitute-rule-call

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
If the NRL is even partially serious about looking after players' welfare, then Felise Kaufusi should be rubbed out of the game for a long, long time.

He's known for being a grub too. He's lucky he plays for melbourne where the rules don't apply. He'd be banned for life at any other club.

*EDIT* The NRL talk the talk but when it comes down to it they largely don't care. As long as it doesn't potentially hurt their bottom line they'll let it pass.

Gronk

Staff member
Agree with the proposal that any 18th man would be a development player for a HIA hit bench. Also that the clubs need to stand down players from the next week somehow. We need to prevent this being rorted.

84 Baby

Referee
Agree with the proposal that any 18th man would be a development player for a HIA hit bench. Also that the clubs need to stand down players from the next week somehow. We need to prevent this being rorted.
I don’t think it needs to be a development player. And just have NRL appointed people to do the HIAs like they should’ve been from the start. Even though safety should be paramount and I don’t believe it’s being overlooked regularly, there’s always been a competing interest for club medicos to have the player return. Then regular concussion protocols to be followed between games.

84 Baby

Referee
I’m not for an 18th man. There are enough systems in place to manage player welfare and it will inevitably be exploited by coaches.
I think just extending the bench makes more sense. Same amount of interchanges. It’s not kids weekend sport, not everyone needs to get a go

Gronk

Staff member
I’m not for an 18th man. There are enough systems in place to manage player welfare and it will inevitably be exploited by coaches.
Which is why if we are ever faced with a situation like the Sharks or Raiders again, that they can bring on a rookie. Like they often do with substitute fielders in test matches.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Which is why if we are ever faced with a situation like the Sharks or Raiders again, that they can bring on a rookie. Like they often do with substitute fielders in test matches.
Nah. F**k em. It’s part of the game and teams should just deal with it.

hindy111

Post Whore
I feel this should be rules..

To use an 18th man you must have lost 2/4 bench players by halftime or 3/4 bench players by the 60th minute.
After that bad luck.

Gronk

Staff member
I feel this should be rules..

To use an 18th man you must have lost 2/4 bench players by halftime or 3/4 bench players by the 60th minute.
After that bad luck.

Via concussion or broken fingernail ?

strider

Post Whore
I've always said ....

allow an 18th man to replace ANY player for the rest of the game - no reason required - at ANY stage of the game .... you can use it for a concussion if that happens .... or you can just get a fresh player at some stage if that works out.

this just eliminates any exploitation .... everyone can use it if it suits them

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
The thing is, an 18th man doesn't address the issues that are causing the concussions. What happens when the 18th man comes on and gets a head knock?

Latest posts