What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL crushes ratings record!!!

The_Wookie

Bench
Agreed. OzTAM feeling a bit precious methinks

You dont know the half of it. The rules around publishing the data that they make PUBLICLY available, mean I am not permitted to display the data in any kind of table format whatsoever without a subscription to oztam. That was quoted at $21,000 a year.

Would there be enough interest to cover it though?

I watch a lot of NHL and they even take feeds from the relevant TV stations, NBA TV is the same.

I think NRL could produce it but it would need to be onsold to be viable
I think that’s probably why they haven’t done it yet. There’s Less risk with the status quo. If the next TV deal falls horribly short of expectations, then it’s a risk worth taking

The_Wookie

Bench
Sounds like OzTam trying to stay relevant

Kayo has 1.5m subs, Foxtel would know exactly how many watched the games.

As @The_Wookie said they keep the figure internal.

If we have the exact figures, Not sharing them makes no sense

The internal stuff would be streaming related - Kayo and Foxtel Now. My understanding is Fox Go is covered by Oztam. In which case we'd all like to know how Kayo is measured, we dont know if its sampling as Oztam or hard viewing numbers. Kayo was theoretically supposed to be on the oztam system last march, but hasnt happened for some reason.

Valheru

Coach
The NRL going alone and streaming its own content is a bit of a pipe dream to me. The bread and butter of the most popular sporting leagues in the world (NFL, NBA, EPL etc.) is still traditional TV broadcast rights.

Further, both the A-League and super rugby have become non entities by going away from foxtel and to FTA streaming services. Neither was anywhere near the NRL or AFL but both had their place in the market.

What the NRL needs to do is negotiate its worth without selling its soul.

MugaB

Coach
The NRL going alone and streaming its own content is a bit of a pipe dream to me. The bread and butter of the most popular sporting leagues in the world (NFL, NBA, EPL etc.) is still traditional TV broadcast rights.

Further, both the A-League and super rugby have become non entities by going away from foxtel and to FTA streaming services. Neither was anywhere near the NRL or AFL but both had their place in the market.

What the NRL needs to do is negotiate its worth without selling its soul.
Politis just came out with his 20 club competition by 2032, we've already sold our soul champ

Wb1234

Referee
Politis just came out with his 20 club competition by 2032, we've already sold our soul champ
20 team comp could get our soul back

it’s going to be hugely popular with fans and broadcasters

95 simply the best blah blah blah

Iamback

Coach
The internal stuff would be streaming related - Kayo and Foxtel Now. My understanding is Fox Go is covered by Oztam. In which case we'd all like to know how Kayo is measured, we dont know if its sampling as Oztam or hard viewing numbers. Kayo was theoretically supposed to be on the oztam system last march, but hasnt happened for some reason.

Streaming including 7Plus, 9Now etc should be exempt. It is a way to get true figures as opposed to the guess work

Iamback

Coach
I think that’s probably why they haven’t done it yet. There’s Less risk with the status quo. If the next TV deal falls horribly short of expectations, then it’s a risk worth taking

We can debate whether the current rights are undersold or not. Fact is there is $2b coming in across the next 5 years as a result

docbrown

Coach
You dont know the half of it. The rules around publishing the data that they make PUBLICLY available, mean I am not permitted to display the data in any kind of table format whatsoever without a subscription to oztam. That was quoted at $21,000 a year.
Because it costs money to get their data in their first place and because it’s for such a small subset of potential customers they charge more for it. They didn’t really have obsessive footy fans in mind when developing the model.

docbrown

Coach
If the NRL went it alone, News would have more money to give to the AFL to promote that game harder so a free ride for the AFL but I agree, we should go it alone at some point. There are freelance production companies that can do a lot of the work for the NRL in the beginning at least. I’ve heard the general cost of televising a game is around 100k or thereabouts.

The cost of running a 30sec TV spot for a regular round match Is 39k according to this.

According to The Australian both Channel Nine (NRL) and Channel Seven (AFL) are set to introduce a price rise of about 30 per cent, taking the average cost of a 30 second ad during AFL or NRL match up to $39,000, from $30,000.

There’s probably half a dozen ads pre and post halftime chat and possibly ten or more ads in between games so there’s more than enough income generated to cover the costs. There will be a massive first up investment required of course. The current situation is easy money for doing nothing so it depends how brave the NRL are.
Well like I said there’s a lot of value with being associated with a large media brand. It’s in their interests to have your sport mentioned as much as possible.