What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL crushes ratings record!!!

MugaB

Coach
Funnily enough he knows everything about afl except the ugly racist side, dishonest participation stats, corruption cover ups and sexual harassment coverups. I wonder why?
Whoever thay bloke is, he isn't wearing a roosters jeresy there that time

Pneuma

First Grade
It is great tv numbers for such a bone lazy tight arsed comp.
I am at the Newcastle 500 today in NRL heartland.
Basketball has a promotional kids thing set up and so does AFL with kids kicking Eds around everywhere.
No Knights, No NRL...
So lazy.
I’m in Botswana and I’m surrounded by kids kicking Sharons so it must be real

Iamback

Coach
I have foxtel mainly for nrl

dunno what point your getting at

any streaming service is going to buy content they can afford

if they buy the league they will make millions from it

If you don't mind me asking, How much do you pay for Foxtel?
Most people aren't going to pay more than say $30 a month for it, They then will unsubscribe unless something keeps them there

Of course but it won't be exclusive. Nor will it have no ads or anything

Wb1234

Referee
C
Most people aren't going to pay more than say $30 a month for it, They then will unsubscribe unless something keeps them there

Can’t remember it was with my phone package as an add on

siv

First Grade
It’s not just the pace it’s also the size. On average they are just a lot bigger and a lot faster.
This is a direct result of the 10m rule

Making a simple adjustment back to 5m in attack & defence solves a lot of problems

Perth Red

Post Whore

Generally it’s anywhere between $30-110 a month depending on package you’ve got And how you access it.

Iamback

Coach
C

Can’t remember it was with my phone package as an add on

Well lets just say it is $100 a month, Foxtel has 1.5m subscribers. On top of what Kayo and Binge have, That gives them a stack of money behind them.

Something the streamers don't have

Wb1234

Referee
Well lets just say it is $100 a month, Foxtel has 1.5m subscribers. On top of what Kayo and Binge have, That gives them a stack of money behind them.

Something the streamers don't have
Kayo is a streaming service

stan is backed by channel nines balance sheet

Perth Red

Post Whore
Next deal it won’t be a streami service bidding on its own, more likely to be ch9/stan v ch10/paramount v fox/?fta
Hopefully!

Canard

Immortal
Netflix are now running a two tiered service, a cheap one with ads and lower res and a more expensive one with out ads and in 4k.

Makes sense that other platforms will likely start to lean this way

docbrown

Coach
About 10 years ago the average NRL fan was watching about 1.7 games per round. I doubt it has changed much in that time. So when a round rates 6 million like round 1 did, that’s about 3.5 million unique viewers approximately. More likely between 3 and 4 million depending on the teams and game quality.

However, not all of those are going to watch on subscription services because of costs but about half do now. So say conservatively you have about 1.5 million willing to pay for a quality NRL TV service. Let’s say conservatively again that those paying viewers will also only pay for 7 months of subscriptions. The question is what is the price point a subscription has to charge to recoup its direct costs? Well for a $200 million deal it’s about $19 a month. Round it to $20 and you’ve covered all production costs.

Now you might ask yourself: well where’s the profit? Remember these are conservative numbers. Subscription services will then make a third party advertiser deals. Sometimes you will be watching sports coverage and not even realise it’s a cash-for-comment scenario. Furthermore, a subscription service will make its money from bundling with other cheaper content and try to get sports consumers to continue their subscriptions outside of their sports seasons.

Now I say conservative because Australian consumers are now used to paying for subscription television services more than they were in the early 2000s. So in reality - again depending on price point - you could get 2 to 2.5 million primarily NRL subscribers signing up from February to October with the right scheduling. At which point when you charge $20 a month, you’re raking in $450 million just from NRL viewers. And again - that’s not including things like bundling and third party advertising.

wain

Juniors
About 10 years ago the average NRL fan was watching about 1.7 games per round. I doubt it has changed much in that time. So when a round rates 6 million like round 1 did, that’s about 3.5 million unique viewers approximately. More likely between 3 and 4 million depending on the teams and game quality.

However, not all of those are going to watch on subscription services because of costs but about half do now. So say conservatively you have about 1.5 million willing to pay for a quality NRL TV service. Let’s say conservatively again that those paying viewers will also only pay for 7 months of subscriptions. The question is what is the price point a subscription has to charge to recoup its direct costs? Well for a $200 million deal it’s about $19 a month. Round it to $20 and you’ve covered all production costs.

Now you might ask yourself: well where’s the profit? Remember these are conservative numbers. Subscription services will then make a third party advertiser deals. Sometimes you will be watching sports coverage and not even realise it’s a cash-for-comment scenario. Furthermore, a subscription service will make its money from bundling with other cheaper content and try to get sports consumers to continue their subscriptions outside of their sports seasons.

Now I say conservative because Australian consumers are now used to paying for subscription television services more than they were in the early 2000s. So in reality - again depending on price point - you could get 2 to 2.5 million primarily NRL subscribers signing up from February to October with the right scheduling. At which point when you charge $20 a month, you’re raking in $450 million just from NRL viewers. And again - that’s not including things like bundling and third party advertising.
What do you think the lower threshold of viewers would be in order for nrl to offer streaming in-house, and only sell 3-4 FTA games per week?

docbrown

Coach
What do you think the lower threshold of viewers would be in order for nrl to offer streaming in-house, and only sell 3-4 FTA games per week?
Honestly, production costs aren’t that much per game. You’re probably looking at $20 to $25 million for the season. It’s more about having the infrastructure to provide high quality streaming without transmission errors that requires upfront costs. And because Australia’s media organisations are very incestual, very few are going to rent out their infrastructure to let the NRL set up a rival media organisation. Furthermore, as soon as the NRL did that, they’d be under attack incessantly by News Corp etc. But honestly at some point you have to cut the leash. I think the NRL could sell a $12 to $15 a month 5 games exclusive package and after production and infrastructure costs after 3 or so years they’d be making more than what they’d get from Foxtel now. But again - you’d incur Murdoch’s wrath. There’s a degree of protection that comes with lining yourself with a global giant like Paramount etc though.

Iamback

Coach
Sounds like an argument over semantics

Sounds like OzTam trying to stay relevant

Kayo has 1.5m subs, Foxtel would know exactly how many watched the games.

As @The_Wookie said they keep the figure internal.

If we have the exact figures, Not sharing them makes no sense

Pneuma

First Grade
Sounds like OzTam trying to stay relevant

Kayo has 1.5m subs, Foxtel would know exactly how many watched the games.

As @The_Wookie said they keep the figure internal.

If we have the exact figures, Not sharing them makes no sense
Agreed. OzTAM feeling a bit precious methinks

Honestly, production costs aren’t that much per game. You’re probably looking at $20 to $25 million for the season. It’s more about having the infrastructure to provide high quality streaming without transmission errors that requires upfront costs. And because Australia’s media organisations are very incestual, very few are going to rent out their infrastructure to let the NRL set up a rival media organisation. Furthermore, as soon as the NRL did that, they’d be under attack incessantly by News Corp etc. But honestly at some point you have to cut the leash. I think the NRL could sell a $12 to $15 a month 5 games exclusive package and after production and infrastructure costs after 3 or so years they’d be making more than what they’d get from Foxtel now. But again - you’d incur Murdoch’s wrath. There’s a degree of protection that comes with lining yourself with a global giant like Paramount etc though.
If the NRL went it alone, News would have more money to give to the AFL to promote that game harder so a free ride for the AFL but I agree, we should go it alone at some point. There are freelance production companies that can do a lot of the work for the NRL in the beginning at least. I’ve heard the general cost of televising a game is around 100k or thereabouts.

The cost of running a 30sec TV spot for a regular round match Is 39k according to this.

According to The Australian both Channel Nine (NRL) and Channel Seven (AFL) are set to introduce a price rise of about 30 per cent, taking the average cost of a 30 second ad during AFL or NRL match up to $39,000, from $30,000.

There’s probably half a dozen ads pre and post halftime chat and possibly ten or more ads in between games so there’s more than enough income generated to cover the costs. There will be a massive first up investment required of course. The current situation is easy money for doing nothing so it depends how brave the NRL are.

Iamback

Coach
If the NRL went it alone, News would have more money to give to the AFL to promote that game harder so a free ride for the AFL but I agree, we should go it alone at some point. There are freelance production companies that can do a lot of the work for the NRL in the beginning at least. I’ve heard the general cost of televising a game is around 100k or thereabouts.

The cost of running a 30sec TV spot for a regular round match Is 39k according to this.

According to The Australian both Channel Nine (NRL) and Channel Seven (AFL) are set to introduce a price rise of about 30 per cent, taking the average cost of a 30 second ad during AFL or NRL match up to $39,000, from $30,000.

There’s probably half a dozen ads pre and post halftime chat and possibly ten or more ads in between games so there’s more than enough income generated to cover the costs. There will be a massive first up investment required of course. The current situation is easy money for doing nothing so it depends how brave the NRL are.

Would there be enough interest to cover it though?

I watch a lot of NHL and they even take feeds from the relevant TV stations, NBA TV is the same.

I think NRL could produce it but it would need to be onsold to be viable