What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion. Ideas and opinions.

Who would you admit as the next team into the NRL?

• Perth

Votes: 75 57.7%
  • PNG

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Wellington/2nd NZ team

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Darwin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fiji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Central Queensland/4th Queensland team

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Samoa

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please specify)/No Expansion

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters

blue bags

First Grade
where is the centre of the earth for rugby league ?, Brisbane , am i right ?. and guess what,, there is A club with a paper licence there , a make believe plastic club LOOL MFA this is NRL in 2021 ,,, go and wake up people

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
as GC showed a shiny stadium means little. A well run well financed club is far more important. Perth’s stadium will be spot on if they sort the west stand out and get it to around 27k. After spending $125mill on it the WA govt isn’t going to spend a further $300-400mill building a new one.

But as Melbourne and Parra show, a shiney new stadium really does help

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think the biggest and best possible shift available for the ARLC would be, not to expand the NRL but actually reduce it.....

Sure, go to 18 or 20 teams, but bring the number of rounds down massively. No one needs that dead period between rounds 10 and 20. The season is such a marathon that half the games are missable.

Cut down the NRL season and fill in the space with rep fixtures, tournaments, ect. THAT is where the real grow this!!!

We have seen how big Origin can be, so do it again with an annual 3-match series between the Roos-Kiwis (and turn the All Stars match into a 3 gamer too). Give the Pacific nations regular tests and get their fans out to the grounds (more atmosphere at a Tonga game than a round 15 Souths-Titans match).

flippikat

Bench
The way things have been evolving we could end up with 2 extra Brisbane teams

So, maybe Redcliffe (some games on Sunshine Coast) AND either Western Corridor or Easts Tigers?

Could work. It *is* a lot for Brisbane to take on, all at once.. but it there's a North-Central-South or North-Central-West split, the clubs will find their own markets.

There better be a set plan for Perth, NZ2, Adelaide, and Central Coast though.. y'know, expansion rather than consolidation of an existing NRL city.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Poll of club CEO's and chairmen

9. Do you believe the NRL should add a new team/teams in the next broadcast cycle?
Yes: 55%
No: 45%
20 respondents

10. Do you believe there is enough depth in talent to support more than 16 NRL clubs in the next broadcast cycle?
Yes: 40%
No: 60%
20 respondents

11. Do you believe there are too many NRL clubs in Sydney?
Yes: 65%
No: 35%
20 respondents

12. If the NRL chooses to expand, would you like to see a current team relocated?
20 respondents

13. If expansion was to occur, which location should be the NRL's primary target?
1. Brisbane: 65%
2. Redcliffe: 15%
3. Perth: 10%
4. Ipswich: 10%
20 respondents

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl-cl...f-greenberg-poll-reveals-20200307-p547vu.html

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

9. Do you believe the NRL should add a new team/teams in the next broadcast cycle?
20 respondents

10. Do you believe there is enough depth in talent to support more than 16 NRL clubs in the next broadcast cycle?
20 respondents

20 respondents

12. If the NRL chooses to expand, would you like to see a current team relocated?
20 respondents

13. If expansion was to occur, which location should be the NRL's primary target?
20 respondents

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl-cl...f-greenberg-poll-reveals-20200307-p547vu.html
I had a read and a lot of those questions are very targeted and manipulative/bias. The fact that they only have 20 out of 31 people providing any response means there is more that 1/3 of the game's leaders who haven't provided an opinion... and with quite a few of those polls being reasonably marginal, the extra third could swing some of those results a different way.

For example, Q.13 provides 3 possible answers for a Brisbane based team but only 1 for another club outside that area. No option for NZ or Adelaide which could impact the vote... again, it is missing 1/3 of the leaders though. Assuming the imagery in the article accompanied the questions in the actual survey then the images the SMH has provided can also sway a different response. Appears to be nothing more that SMH agenda spinning.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Id look to add one on 2023 and one in 2024/5 so you can at least get some revenue from the ninth game content.

Take baby steps and protect Titans: Legends on expansion debate
Baby steps should be taken with expansion, with one team added for 2023 and a second in 2028.
Do not foist a relocated team onto Brisbane or Perth, but they are the two cities where the next rugby league franchises should be planted.
Three former Test players who lived through the expansion and contraction that came around the Super League era – Mark Geyer (Western Reds), Ryan Girdler (Penrith Panthers) and Wendell Sailor (Brisbane Broncos) - felt there was enough player depth to sustain another one or two NRL teams.
All three want the Gold Coast Titans to stay and not be squeezed out to create a second Brisbane team.
Geyer said: "I'm a fan of expansion. But I want to see a team in Perth. I want to see another team somewhere else.
"I actually want us to get to 20 teams and play just one round each season – you could probably do that with 18 teams as well, maybe two conferences.
"It will never happen but we're getting more like NFL every day. The game is slowing down like NFL and they only play 17 weeks a year and every game is an event.
"We don't have to do it all in this broadcast deal for 2023. We'll have another deal in just eight years time.
"We need to go to WA (Western Australia) because if we really want to be a national competition – and we say we are – then let's be national, because we're not at the moment.
"We should be called the Eastern Seaboard League – ESL not NRL."
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/08/dont-touch-titans-legends-weigh-in-on-an-expansion/

blue bags

First Grade
im thinking 2 teams in Perth , rivalry , really shake the NRL up and an Adelaide team as well, all 3 teams way into the future

flippikat

Bench
Meanwhile as the NRL procrastinates the AFL chatter about a 19th and 20th team has already begun. Its more likely we will see a third AFL team in Perth before we see an NRL one!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...l/news-story/e68ec72b8103f3443b5b22059cd0dbe5

I think it's pretty much a done deal that the next 2 AFL clubs will be in WA and Tasmania.

WA will generate shedloads of money, and Tasmania will release Hawthorne and North Melbourne from their Tassy obligations.. allowing them (and other Melbourne clubs) to connect with OTHER markets without top tier teams.

I still suspect head-office secretly want 1 or 2 Melbourne clubs to relocate.. and they may get them to move to NT, Canberra, or North Queensland after the next expansion (in the late 2020s), keeping the competition at 20 teams.

mongoose

Coach

20 respondents

20 respondents

20 respondents

20 respondents

20 respondents

The questions about relocation is interesting. Didn't Greenberg say relocation was on the table early last year?

I still think a relocation to Perth/Adelaide/NZ should be considered. I don't think Brisbane would accept a relocated Sydney club - too much familiar history.

Latest posts