What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion. Ideas and opinions.

Who would you admit as the next team into the NRL?

• Perth

Votes: 75 57.7%
  • PNG

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Wellington/2nd NZ team

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Darwin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fiji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Central Queensland/4th Queensland team

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Samoa

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please specify)/No Expansion

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters

mongoose

Coach
I'm not really a fan of relocating anybody, but relocating the Titans to Brisbane is a supremely bad idea.

Yep. Seriously if the NRL and Titans owners can't make them work where they are then there is no hope for any expansion clubs. The NRL may as well give up.

I've been to many Titans games and it's such a good day out when its an afternoon match. Would be handy if there was parking at the stadium but I usually just park at Burleigh and get some lunch, maybe go visit one of the craft breweries then catch the shuttle bus to the stadium, which is all fine.

T-Boon

Coach
I have serious doubts about a second Brisbane team happening in the next 10 years. That combined with my opinion that it would actually make the Titans better to at least partially relocate and rebrand to South Queensland is enough for me to think to hell with it it isn't perfect but it will do.

6 games Suncorp / 6 games GC. That would not be perfect, but it would be pretty good and a lot better than what we currently have.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I have serious doubts about a second Brisbane team happening in the next 10 years. That combined with my opinion that it would actually make the Titans better to at least partially relocate and rebrand to South Queensland is enough for me to think to hell with it it isn't perfect but it will do.

6 games Suncorp / 6 games GC. That would not be perfect, but it would be pretty good and a lot better than what we currently have.
The Titans brand is tainted and nobody in Brisbane wants the GC's sloppy seconds, and Titans fans on the GC won't follow the club if it moves up to Brisbane. So if you moved the Titans up to Brisbane you'd only be ostracising everybody.

On top of that if you relocate the Titans you'd be handing the AFL the greatest propaganda device they've ever had, and why would you relocate the Titans while there're 9 clubs in Sydney roughly half a dozen of which are in a worse position than the Titans.

Basically what you are suggesting would create way more problems then it would solve.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yep. Seriously if the NRL and Titans owners can't make them work where they are then there is no hope for any expansion clubs. The NRL may as well give up.

I've been to many Titans games and it's such a good day out when its an afternoon match. Would be handy if there was parking at the stadium but I usually just park at Burleigh and get some lunch, maybe go visit one of the craft breweries then catch the shuttle bus to the stadium, which is all fine.

Yeah, the only real reason that the GC clubs' have been failures is because of chronic mismanagement.

T-Boon

Coach
The Titans brand is tainted and nobody in Brisbane wants the GC's sloppy seconds, and Titans fans on the GC won't follow the club if it moves up to Brisbane. So if you moved the Titans up to Brisbane you'd only be ostracising everybody.

I am certain they would stick with the South Queensland Titans provided there was a game each month on the GC.

MugaB

Coach
I am certain they would stick with the South Queensland Titans provided there was a game each month on the GC.
Better to relocate more home games south of the border to tweed heads, kingscliff, byron bay, ballina instead, and 6-8 home games in GC, and gain the northern rivers crowd moreso, if Queenslanders aren't keen on supporting the titans, Why bother with suncorp.
better to call them "Twin City Titans" that is the nick name around the border right? Keep the presence there but reframe the focus away from being a "QLD team" and moreso a northern rivers team.
Lower grades already have "northen river titans" as a team

flippikat

Bench
Better to relocate more home games south of the border to tweed heads, kingscliff, byron bay, ballina instead, and 6-8 home games in GC, and gain the northern rivers crowd moreso, if Queenslanders aren't keen on supporting the titans, Why bother with suncorp.
better to call them "Twin City Titans" that is the nick name around the border right? Keep the presence there but reframe the focus away from being a "QLD team" and moreso a northern rivers team.

I think there's a spark of a good idea there.

You could even put them into a maroon & blue strip, to strengthen their "border team" angle. A local rugby union club in the Wellington competition (Avalon Wolves) wears this

images

MugaB

Coach
Sorry its "Twin Towns" around that area, but realistically a rename would get away from the "Gold Coast" moniker that seems to pretend its a city, but acts more as a tourist attraction, moving the titans "Regional"
Will engage more people who are working class and you know live in the area, not the tourist or passers by of GC.
Colors should stay, Two Blues and Gold are fine

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah because basing the team out of Tweed Heads and targeting Northern NSW instead of the much bigger and more densely populated market just north on the GC has worked out great in the past, I mean the Giants and Seagulls were great successes right!

Instead of cockamamie ideas about relocating or trying to appeal to people that you are never going to appeal to, how about the Titans work on fixing their marketing, advertising, and community engagement, and build a half decent team that aren't perennial cellar dwellers.
That'd go a lot further to fixing some of their problems than wasting time and energy trying to convince people to support a team that both has the stink of failure on them and they aren't culturally inclined to support anyway.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah, the only real reason that the GC clubs' have been failures is because of chronic mismanagement.

apparently in recent years since buy back from the nrl they have reduced over spending so as not to get in the mess they were in previously. Like a lot of companies in their position they are stuck, they don’t have the capital to spend to grow revenue but have had to cut even further to stay afloat. RL fans in the GC area need to decide if they want an nrl club or not and if they do they need to get behind the club with memberships in bigger numbers.

mongoose

Coach
RL fans in the GC area need to decide if they want an nrl club or not and if they do they need to get behind the club with memberships in bigger numbers.

so do fans of sydney clubs, warriors and even my club Raiders. I don't know why some people have this double standard with the Titans. Any team that has prolonged period in the bottom half of the ladder is going to see supporter numbers dwindle except maybe the Knights.

The Great Dane

First Grade
so do fans of sydney clubs, warriors and even my club Raiders. I don't know why some people have this double standard with the Titans. Any team that has prolonged period in the bottom half of the ladder is going to see supporter numbers dwindle except maybe the Knights.

Sure every bodies attendance drops when they're going through a rough patch, but the only reason that it should drop so much that it's bankrupting your business is if you've f**ked up.

Perth Red

Post Whore

mainly as Titans memberships are woeful and as a club without much cash from pokies or rich owners the fans need to get behind the club in big numbers to give them a chance of growing and being successful. The club could be doing a lot more to foster that relationship and reconnect the missing fans from first five years. This is where I’d like to see the nrl help out and take back control of memberships. Take $1mill off each club and invest that in fan engagement, attendance and membership strategies. The revenue the clubs get back could be much much higher in a few years than the $1mill they miss out on now.

I do agree though that the same can be said for many clubs. Fans are quick to jump up and down when the mention of merger or relocation comes along but do nothing to actually invest in their club.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
After living on the GC for the good part of the last 2 year, I'm starting to see more and more Victorians moving up to the GC chasing that warmer weather. Having spoken to quite a few of them, a lot are more than happy getting a GC Suns membership just to go and see regular games of AFL despite being fans of other teams. On the flipside, I rarely hear of NRL fans taking this option, instead preferring to sign up as a member of their own club and potentially only see one game a year for the price of their interstate membership.

Maybe the GC Titans need to market their memberships to those NSW expats and fans of other teams living on the GC as incentive to watch regular rugby league, including when their own team comes into town to play. I know that this doesn't help those other clubs with their memberships but I'm sure the few members they miss out on or relinquish to the Titans is better for them in the long run with maintaining a 16 team comp and all the broadcast money that comes with it.

mongoose

Coach
if thats the case, why are the Suns crowds even worse than the Titans? (not that they are even that bad)

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
It can still happen by way of relocation which is arguably the best way forward anyway as there are too many Sydney teams.

Brisbane Titans
Western Tigers or Western Panthers
Southern Sharks
Wellington Sea Eagles

You’re taking the piss here aren’t you :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors

There’s no team between Newcastle and the GC.
A focus further south is a great idea