What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion Priorities

Benny

First Grade
I've followed this thread closely as I am a fan of growing the game domestically and internationally. These are my thoughts on expansion and the different bids out there and future growth of the game:

Sydney Market:

I believe Sydney is all but covered with the exception of North Sydney (see Central Coast below). The only team I can see that might not have a place is Cronulla who have gone broke several times in the past, is currently going through the ASADA dramas with full fallout unknown and has traditionally performed poorly on and off the field.

Though if Cronulla go it leaves a massive gap in Southern Sydney unless St.George Illawarra play all home games in the St.George and Illawarra regions and cover the area that was St.George's pre 1967.

I think all other clubs are well spread and ideally if the Oasis Development hadn't of fallen over and Canterbury had of been based out of Liverpool it would have been perfect. I also think the Wests Tigers need to be based and play majority of games towards the Campbelltown region as Sydney spreads and major developments in and around Campbelltown/Camden - not to mention areas like Oran Park.

I do believe that Sydney teams playing 12 home games each in Sydney isn't the answer either. I think clubs need to seriously look at deals to take a number of games (minimum 2 each) to country areas (like Parramatta have done with Mudgee and Penrith will be doing with Bathurst) or potential expansion sites (like several clubs have done with Perth, Central Coast etc) and even new markets. Though to have an impact these need to be not one offs but longer term deals and a good commitment of games eg The Sharks take 4 home games a year to Adelaide.

Potential Expansion Sites:

NSW:

NSW only has one area left for expansion and that is the Central Coast. Sydney only has one area left to cover and that is North Sydney. A Central Coast Bears with a model of giving the Central Coast its own team (playing 10 games per year at Gosford) but also having the historical link to the Bears (playing 2 games per year in North Sydney) will shore up both areas and bring back former Bears supporters and right one of the few remaining wrongs of the Super League War.

Northern Eagles failed because Manly made it fail so they would kill off the Northern Eagles, North Sydney Bears and revert back to the Manly Warringah Sea-Eagles. Any suggestion a name change or giving the North Sydney area to Manly while great in theory will never work in reality - it is as simple as that.

Commercially and geographically I think the Central Coast Bears would be successful but whether they should come in ahead of other potential franchises is debateable.

QLD:

Queensland has a few potential areas like Brisbane and surrounds, Central Queensland (Rockhampton based) and in the future potentially places like Mackay and Cairns. Only viable options at present are Brisbane and surrounds and Central Queensland.

We've tried and failed with a second Brisbane team and it would be hard to try and unseat the Broncos as a fully fledged Brisbane team. I don't know the merits of the different bid teams (Bombers who I have heard of due to having a fairly good media presence and Brothers who I have heard of as a club/organisation but not in regards to any bids apart from this thread) but I believe irrelevant for point of discussion.

I think a team based close to Brisbane might be the answer. Ipswich, Redcliffe, Toowoomba and Sunshine Coast are the potential sites for teams to be based from (potentially a number of different sites for different clubs in the future). I think moving out of Brisbane City but being close to Brisbane gives a good point of difference for commercial and fan engagement similar to Sydney FC and Wester Sydney Wanderers in the A League.

I don't believe a second Brisbane team would be as a successful as a team based from one of the above mentioned South East Queensland locations. I've recently moved to Brisbane having grown up in Sydney and while not great on the geography, history and economics I just believe it would be more successful than a team in Brisbane City like the Broncos.

Central Queensland is the other area that can work now and looks to have the necessary corporate support to be a success. Provided the stadium is built the only other question would be if they have the fan base to be successful (no idea of numbers but I was there for first time earlier this year and didn't seem to be a big population).

I think a team needs to be based here in the future but am unsure of the fan base to make it a success at this point in time.

Cairns and Mackay are future sites (in the far future for mind) but need to be continually addressed now and I think the Cowboys could look to take home games here and Sydney based clubs to look to play home games here as Cowboys traditionally don't draw good crowds in Sydney.

Western Australia:

A Perth based team is a must and should be/will almost certainly be the first team selected if expansion goes ahead. The Western/Perth Reds weren't unsuccessful first time around but were a victim of the Super League War. With the growth in the Western Australia economy and population (particularly people relocating from NZ and Eastern Australia) over the last 15 years, a purpose Rugby League Stadium, proven interest through several sold out games and the added bonus of time zone enabling games toad another live game into market it is a no brainer.

Would be my first selection if expansion was to occur.

New Zealand:

New Zealand requires a second team and potentially a third in the future. The only two sites are Wellington and Christchurch. I would favour Wellington over Christchurch from a purely football interest point of view but Christchurch from a geographical point of view and having the North vs South Island aspect (though Wellington plans to represent the South Island and potentially play games in Christchurch and Dunedin).

I think a second New Zealand team is required (wit ha third in the future) but whether Christchurch or Wellington, with Wellington the more likely choice with a clear preference for that team to have a strong presence in the South Island.

South Australia:

From a National point of view, having a team based in Adelaide makes sense but while the Adelaide Rams weren't unsuccessful (also a victim of the Super League War) it hasn't seen anywhere near the growth of Perth/Western Australia.

Not in the immediate future but one day we need to re-visit Adelaide/South Australia and while it may be 20 years away, the future and planning needs to start now. Having a team playing regularly each year a few teams could/should be the short term solution.

Papua New Guinea:

At some point in the future the NRL needs to have a team in the NRL. The timeframe will depend on the success of the PNG Hunters in the Qld Cup but if they were granted a licence tomorrow they would have the required corporate support and fan base to be successful. Infrastructure is an issue (being rectified at present) but at the same time the Government would build them whatever they needed. Security is a smaller concern than most people think and while attracting players could be difficult (I manage a program up in PNG and regularly travel there and there are lots of ex-pats up there because in the end money talks and I also don't believe that big a problem).

The good a team could do for PNG as a nation would make it worth it in any case. It will happen/has to happen and is high on my priority list to occur but PNG Rugby League needs to be stronger for it to occur and learn lessons from being in QLD Cup first.

Victoria:

In the future maybe a second Victorian team could be considered but only once the Storm are very stable and this could take several more years and demand for a second team exists (if it ever does). I wouldn't advocate for a second Melbourne team but potentially in an area like Geelong would be only option, though very far flung idea.

Fiji:

Similar to PNG could be an option in the far future and make truly International competition. Would first need to go down the Qld Cup path and it is several years away from that at present in any case.

Northern Territory:

Not sure if will ever be big enough to have a team full-time but having a team playing a number of regular games over a number of years may be the best option in the short and medium term and even long term without sufficient growth in Darwin/Northern Territory.

Tasmania:

Will never likely be big enough for home team but like suggested for Adelaide and Darwin - having a club playing a number of games over a long period could be the answer...like Hawthorn does in Tasmania.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Roosters support has been entirely stagnant (with the obvious exception of GF wins and basic post-SL growth). There has been no growth in support for the roosters that happened because, or even coincided with, their name change.

Eastern Suburbs was obviously a dated name, but they could have moved to a name like East Sydney or Bondi Roosters with the same success.

I disagree with that but there isn't really any way to prove or disprove it, so there's no point in going around in circles.
The success you (all) are looking for doesnt come from a meaningless title. Its about fan engagement; making them want to be a part of your team, a team with culture that makes them worth following. Not a generic entity that will through away their whole history and entirely rebrand for every potential fan that walks past.

Edit:
When i say "meaningless title", im referring to the connotations and emotions attached to words. "Easts" (like "Manly") is an entirely average that, in the context of Rugby League, can suddenly induce powerful emotions and memories of the clubs history.
Take away that title and replace it with broader, more inclusive and less emotive brand, and you lose all of those powerful connotations (and all of the attached marketing power).

And you do all of this for arguably no gain.

And a large part of that engagement is actually representing the people you claim to represent in actions and not just in word!

That's the difference between a GWS-Canberra arrangement and a proper joint representation, taking actions to represent both your areas, not flying in and out and pretending that you represent a group in the hopes of a big paycheck.

Take another example (though addmitadly not as significant as a name change) from my team the Raiders and how during the whole of the 2000's (apart from their early attempts to help people forget about SL and our periodic returns to the old armbands design) they have steadily been increasing the amount of blue and gold (or strategically placing it in areas that our culture deems as significant) on the jersey in a reaction to the increasing pride that people from the ACT take in their home town, having the jersey covered in as much lime green as possible no longer makes any sense for the clubs brand as a clubs brand revolves almost completely around the identity of the areas that it choose's to represent in the ACT and it's surrounding areas. So now the club is juggling with the representation of the team colours on the jersey as not enough lime green and they are seen as forgetting about our proud history as the Raiders and turning their back on the fans outside of the ACT, but not enough blue and gold and they are seen as not really representing the ACT (and the 'Queanbeyan Raiders' trolls come out from under their rocks again).

This is the same sort of juggling that the Sea Eagles would face if they truly did decide to try and expand into the rest of Northern Sydney, except on a reversed scale as they currently represent the minority fan base (Manly-Warringah= Southern NSW towns surrounding the ACT) and not the majority like the Raiders primarily represent in Canberra, and it's pretty simple the best way to keep your fan base healthy is to keep the majority happy as much as possible and in this case Manly would no longer be the majority.

Also the name North Shore is not some random wide sweeping name that means nothing to the Manly market and only a little more to the NS market, it has historical connections to both it's markets and can be made to provoke emotions that can be connected with RL in time.

Benny

First Grade
This is a very interesting list and a good thing to have on hand, but there were a few minor errors pertaining to the Gold Coast clubs that I have corrected in red.

It was the same franchise with different names and owners at time - no need to separate them (similar to change of name for Eastern Suburbs/Sydney City/Sydney Roosters or Canterbury-Bankstown/Sydney a Bulldogs or different owners like with South Sydney Rabbitohs/Brisbane Broncos/Gold Coast Titans/ Manly Warringah Sea-Eagles etc

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I disagree with that but there isn't really any way to prove or disprove it, so there's no point in going around in circles.

And a large part of that engagement is actually representing the people you claim to represent in actions and not just in word!

That's the difference between a GWS-Canberra arrangement and a proper joint representation, taking actions to represent both your areas, not flying in and out and pretending that you represent a group in the hopes of a big paycheck.

Take another example (though addmitadly not as significant as a name change) from my team the Raiders and how during the whole of the 2000's (apart from their early attempts to help people forget about SL and our periodic returns to the old armbands design) they have steadily been increasing the amount of blue and gold (or strategically placing it in areas that our culture deems as significant) on the jersey in a reaction to the increasing pride that people from the ACT take in their home town, having the jersey covered in as much lime green as possible no longer makes any sense for the clubs brand as a clubs brand revolves almost completely around the identity of the areas that it choose's to represent in the ACT and it's surrounding areas. So now the club is juggling with the representation of the team colours on the jersey as not enough lime green and they are seen as forgetting about our proud history as the Raiders and turning their back on the fans outside of the ACT, but not enough blue and gold and they are seen as not really representing the ACT (and the 'Queanbeyan Raiders' trolls come out from under their rocks again).

This is the same sort of juggling that the Sea Eagles would face if they truly did decide to try and expand into the rest of Northern Sydney, except on a reversed scale as they currently represent the minority fan base (Manly-Warringah= Southern NSW towns surrounding the ACT) and not the majority like the Raiders primarily represent in Canberra, and it's pretty simple the best way to keep your fan base healthy is to keep the majority happy as much as possible and in this case Manly would no longer be the majority.

Also the name North Shore is not some random wide sweeping name that means nothing to the Manly market and only a little more to the NS market, it has historical connections to both it's markets and can be made to provoke emotions that can be connected with RL in time.

The problem with the preposition of this argument is that i would argue it has similar fallacies to the argument for the Manly name-change.

The Raiders have been around for over 30 years; in that time they have created a strong and unique brand image (the lime green). I entirely disagree with the idea that they should move AWAY from this image, in favour of a generic brand that could belong to any new team.

The Raiders currently have the choice of stayng with one of the most recognisable brands in Australian sport or entirely rebranding and changing their colours to blue and gold (remind me again, how many teams have blue and gold as their colours or just use Blue as a primary colour. Now try to think of just one other team in any code that uses lime green).

This idea to change the Eagles name has the same problem. They can keep the name they have been using for the last 60 years and promote the brand off the back of the connected history and tradition.

OR they can rebrand, just 'coz.....

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
That's not a fair comparison; you cant compare the Central Coast to Wollongong.

(note: this is all from wikipedia, im happy to be proven wrong from an ABS site or something similar)

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/3218.02012?OpenDocument

I'm comparing the ABS statistical areas, numbers which I use regularly for my work so I'm quite familiar with them.

Central Coast (Gosford+Wyong) is 325,295.

Illawarra (Dapto-Port Kembla-Kiama-Shellharbour-Wollongong) is 290,616.

Your argument that the Bears will only draw from Gosford whereas the Dragons can draw from across the Illawarra is silly.

The Knights draw home fans from both Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Lower Mid-North Coast and the Hunter. The Bears like the Knights & Dragons will draw fans from all over their catchment, from places like Umina, Woy Woy, Terrigal, The Entrance, Wyong, Lake Haven and Budgewoi -- plus a % that trek to Gosford will be Sydney based Bears fans.

Central Coast Bears
Central Coast - 325,295
plus part of their existing base from North Sydney & Hornsby Regions

Newcastle Knights
Newcastle & Lake Macquarie - 360,882
Hunter Valley - 256,399
and a small part of the Mid North Coast - 209,415

As you can see the Knights aren't dependent on the Central Coast, so much so that they've taken it for granted

North Sydney Sea Eagles
Northern Beaches - 254,847 -where they draw the majority of their base currently

they could also tap into

North Sydney & Hornsby - 400,256
Ryde - 174,148

There is a big enough population and growth for all 3 teams to exist.

This is absolutely correct, but the same would be true if they were bidding out of a better area.

Even given this, you are still left with all of your work ahead of you in proving the Central Coast could support a team.

Again all of the benefits that you just named could be gain whether the Bears are based on the CC or elsewhere, the valuable asset that the Bears bring to the table isn't the access to the CC but the Bears brand it's self!

It's true that the Bears brand could be set up elsewhere and that new franchise could gain a lot of value. But it may be difficult in places like Perth (with the Pirates bid) or Queensland (trying to convince queenslanders to support an ex-NSW team). As Adelaide/PNG are a long way off, it really only leaves New Zealand and the Central Coast.

I disagree with your opinion that the Central Coast can't support an NRL team and most of what anti-Central Coast Bears people say is usually just an opinion based on a preference for other locations and not really based on any firm evidence.

That said the Central Coast Bears has mutual benefit to both the Coast & Bears parties and it's a logical choice for one of the next 4 NRL sides.

I doubt that very, very much, and the way the Mariners are handling themselves on the CC supports my point of view.

It's an A-League side. Soccer is still nowhere near as popular as rugby league on the Central Coast so you're stretching trying to compare the two.

If anything the success that the CCM have had given their minority status just show how much more the Central Coast Bears could achieve given they'd be a much larger and better supported club.`

Then you and I both know that the Bears would tell the NRL to go f##k themselves and scream about what an injustice it is in the media, they will never willingly give up North Sydney to anyone (least of all Manly) and if you think otherwise then you don't know what your talking about.

Then they don't get their club. Their choice is total relocation or a meager secondary existence.

These are the types of ultimatums the NRL should be putting to all teams, both new and existing. For too long the clubs have dictated the future strategy of the game.

It's a damn shame Gosford isnt 5 hours more North to get away from Sydney, I just can't see the NRL wanting to 'expand' 1.5 hours up the road. What happened to the Bears was disgraceful considering they did the right thing and moved to ensure survival for it to only back fire with the new stadium dramas that are well documented.

That's the rub. It the Central Coast Bears had gotten established before Super League then we wouldn't be having a conversation about removing a team from such a key market.

The Roosters support has been entirely stagnant (with the obvious exception of GF wins and basic post-SL growth). There has been no growth in support for the roosters that happened because, or even coincided with, their name change.

Success helps but a lot of the fan base deserted the club in the 80s. Even after the SFS was built they had several lean years. I'd argue that a combination of on-field performance plus wider marketing helped them grow their crowds and memberships.

Take away that title and replace it with broader, more inclusive and less emotive brand, and you lose all of those powerful connotations (and all of the attached marketing power).

And yet with that broader, more inclusive and less emotive 'Sydney' brand in 2013 they had a higher attendance than any other year in their entire history as 'Easts' or 'Eastern Suburbs'.

Success+new identity+time = resonance.

The paying public now accepts the 'Sydney Roosters' brand as the heritage and the 'Easts' name is not necessarily required for the club to perform in the stands or membership race.

The same thing will happen with the North Sydney Sea Eagles.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
All Queensland Teams - 4 clubs with 12 derby games and 36 more games in Queensland each year - with this to cement rugby league's dominance in the state and to ensure that the majority of Queensland sports fans follow one of the four clubs. Having their own division within the expanded comp they would become the new QRL.

North Queensland Cowboys
- a shift to a centralised Townsville stadium, expanding influence to become the defacto sports team for Indigenous and Northern Australia in places like Townsville, Cairns, Mackay & the Northern Territory.

Gold Coast Titans - changing the local community from bandwagoners to regular members, plus engaging Northern NSW to divide the territory with the Knights whilst also a gaining a foothold in PNG

*Brisbane/South Queensland Brothers* - converting the majority of non-Broncos rugby league supporters in Brisbane and bringing new fans into the game in South-West Brisbane, plus engaging the Central Queensland market via select matches. Bringing non-NRL supporting QRL fans into the NRL fold.

Brisbane Broncos - expanding their corporate brand nationally and internationally and to be the number one supported team for Queenslanders and Australians in any code.

West Coast Pirates - carving out a foothold in the fast growing rich WA market to become the 3rd most supported team and giving the NRL a significant presence in a 4th metro, also growing their brand as a potential away team in SA & NT.

Melbourne Storm - converting the large number of fringe and general rugby league supporters into members and attendance, to start rivaling the big 4 AFL teams in terms of active support, further engagement in regional Victoria and Tasmania

New Zealand Warriors - to grow the Warriors brand outside the rugby league heartland into the rest of the North Island to become the biggest 'rugby' club of any code in NZ

New Zealand *Orcas* - to grow the game in Wellington & South Island, to increase the presence of rugby league in the country and to build a rivalry so that the majority of NZ sports fans are either Warriors or Orcas supporters.

Canberra Raiders - a centralised stadia, getting existing Raiders and non-rugby league fans to support Canberra's number one genuinely local team, to promote themselves also as a regional and Indigenous team to surrounding areas and to present their brand as Australia's defacto national club via key marquee blockbusters.

Newcastle Knights - converting the majority of the large numbers of non-Knights rugby league fans in Newcastle, Hunter & North Coast into Knights fans

Central Coast Bears - converting the majority of large numbers of rugby league fans on the Central Coast into Bears fans and to bring the existing Bears fans in North Sydney & Australia wide back into the game

All Sydney Teams- expanding to become Sydney-wide and Nation-wide brands and exploiting key rivalries to cements the game's place in Sydney

St George Illawarra Dragons - Sydney wide & Illawarra support - through ground rationalization to grow Sydney support through select large SFS & Western Sydney marquee blockbuster games and as away support, and to better engage the Illawarra & South Coast through a gradual long term majority shift to Wollongong which also helps clear the Sydney market.

Parramatta Eels - Western Sydney support - converting their wide base into active members to be the clear number one team in Western Sydney and with a shift for blockbuster matches, to spur rugby league's growth and place in the market by capitalizing on the existing rivalries with other clubs. Benefit from a new Western Sydney stadium.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Inner South West support - likewise to also convert new migrants into supporters and to expand the clubs support beyond the Inner South West. Benefit from a new Western Sydney stadium.

Penrith Panthers - North West support - to convert the majority of relocated local sports supporters in North West Sydney into Panthers members and attendance, key marquee events at a new Western Sydney stadium.

Western Sydney Tigers - Inner West & South West support - a rebrand and refocus to proactively target new citizens and new migrant in the fast growing South West Sydney whilst keeping existing Tigers supporter engaged in the club. Benefit from a new Western Sydney stadium.

North Sydney Sea Eagles
- Northern Sydney support - a rebrand and refocus to target neglected North Sydney markets outside of the traditional Northern Beaches market to ensure the club's long term sustainability.

South Sydney Rabbitohs -
Sydney wide support - to keep growing as the game's number one heritage brand city wide and to expand the membership and attendance base.

Eastern Sydney Sharks -
Eastern Sydney support (Eastern Suburbs, Sutherland & Inner West) - both could continue as minor Sydney teams to mixed success but a mutually beneficial merger could see them equal or surpass the larger Sydney clubs in terms of human and financial support. It's also a superior choice to axing, relegation or total relocation. There should also be a push past the city and into the inner-west.

Adelaide *Rams* - this position might not necessarily be available but a Sydney merger would see a 20th position available for this 5th metro market but their sustainability would be a mirror of and largely dependent on the success of the Pirates & Storm clubs. If this position did become available PNG & Central Queensland would also likely be fighting for the same 20th position and they'd have to put up a strong case.

Regional Areas of NSW & QLD - NSW & QLD clubs should be required to take select matches to key regional venues but this should be organised strategically at NRL level.

PNG/Central Queensland/2nd Melbourne Side/Fiji/Northern Territory/Tasmania - not all of these areas are capable of supporting NRL teams and require long term investment but in the meantime they can be engaged through other means

Last edited:

reanimate

Bench
If the Bears are officially killed off, pretending that they never existed is probably the best course the Eagles could take.

(Its worked pretty well for the nrl on super league; just dont talk about it, people forget)
I'd have to agree there, the hatred has faded significantly in recent times- Manly's no longer a dirty word like it used to be. Building on the existing Manly brand while incorporating the North Shore into the club's existing identity and naming scheme is, in my opinion, the best move to make.
The problem with the Manly-North Shore Sea Eagles is that like Warringah the North Shore will be easily dropped at most opportunities.

A North Sydney Sea Eagles 20 years from now will replicate what the Roosters have done.

And if it riles up all the Central Coast Bears supporters, all the better for the game as a whole.
That's not really a bad thing though, unlike how it might be to those in older generations (at least in RL terms), Manly isn't a dirty word to young people on the North Shore. Manly has a lot of positive connotations for young people and, especially in the case of the south half of the Northern Beaches and the lower North Shore, there's a lot of intermingling, with the two regions bleeding into each other a lot. Lots of young people from the Northern Beaches and North Shore go to school together, go out together (with Manly itself being a key destination there) and work together. Having their RL team be called Manly-North Shore, with it being nicknamed and known generally as Manly for short, wouldn't really be an offensive proposition to them, at all. The more professional commentators, such as Sterlo, still go out of their way to call clubs by their full, proper name, e.g. he often calls the Bulldogs the 'Canterbury-Bankstown club', the Dragons 'St. George-Illawarra' etc.
The name and region would still get plenty of support and exposure, even if, like how the Sydney Roosters are still commonly nicknamed Easts, the club still gets nicknamed Manly for short.
Again all of the benefits that you just named could be gain whether the Bears are based on the CC or elsewhere, the valuable asset that the Bears bring to the table isn't the access to the CC but the Bears brand it's self!

Then you and I both know that the Bears would tell the NRL to go f##k themselves and scream about what an injustice it is in the media, they will never willingly give up North Sydney to anyone (least of all Manly) and if you think otherwise then you don't know what your talking about.
I'd agree with you there on both points. The Bears brand could work anywhere, but if it was based on the CC, there's no doubt they'd cause trouble and endlessly complain (at least at the beginning) if the North Shore was zoned as being Sea Eagles territory. There'd be the usual news articles (News Ltd would have a field day with all the 'controversy' they could cause), no doubt with the standard picture of old Bears supporters wearing Bears jerseys with their arms folded with a headline along the lines of 'GIVE US BACK OUR HOME... Bears fans tell Sea Eagles to give back the North Shore'. That would likely happen in some form even if the Bears were killed off for good.
If the NRL stuck to their guns, and helped the Sea Eagles and the Bears settle in and get the full support of their new territories, then such a move could be very good, as the grudge matches could be quite intense, but the NRL would have to be 100% clear and firm with the Bears in regards to the NS, and make it known that they aren't getting the NS back and could face penalties if they were found to be interfering with or antagonising the Sea Eagles' efforts in growing RL in the area. It would take a very skilled and tough negotiator to pull that off though, maybe David Smith's the man who can do it- I've definitely been impressed with him so far.

If the Bears were set up somewhere else, e.g. in Queensland or NZ (the Christchurch area's traditional colours are red and black ;-)), then it'd be much, much harder for that antagonism to exist.
Any suggestion a name change or giving the North Sydney area to Manly while great in theory will never work in reality - it is as simple as that.

Commercially and geographically I think the Central Coast Bears would be successful but whether they should come in ahead of other potential franchises is debateable.
Never work in reality? It's the CC + NS idea that would never work in reality. There's very little synergy between the CC and NS, despite the claims of those who support the Bears covering both the CC and NS. The CC is hard to get to for a large portion of the NS (especially when it comes to making evening kick off times after work), isn't an appealing place to travel to for casual/non-hardcore RL fans (e.g. you've got next-to-no chance of getting a casual RL fan in somewhere like Willoughby or Cremorne to travel up to Gosford for games, no matter what day they're on, a 20-30 minute bus trip to the Beaches though is a far easier and more appealing proposition) and leaves the North Shore with a weak, token RL presence.
The Northern Beaches and the North Shore are far easier to travel between, with it being commonplace to travel to either region for work, leisure, school etc., plus North Shore teams already play with Northern Beaches teams in local RL, having the two regions together supporting the same first grade team makes far more sense than trying to make the CC + NS work.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It was the same franchise with different names and owners at time - no need to separate them (similar to change of name for Eastern Suburbs/Sydney City/Sydney Roosters or Canterbury-Bankstown/Sydney a Bulldogs or different owners like with South Sydney Rabbitohs/Brisbane Broncos/Gold Coast Titans/ Manly Warringah Sea-Eagles etc

That's incorrect (though I can understand why you would think that), though the Giants and the Seagulls were the same franchise the Gladiators and then the Chargers were not.

When Jeff Muller came into the picture he bought out the license completely and moved the license up over the boarder from south of the Tweed to the GC so that it only represented the Gold Coast (effectively making the Gladiators the first stand alone GC team in the NSWRL/ARL/NRL ever). He removed all of the old people involved with the club and replaced them with his own effectively making it a new club and completely re-branding so that there were no recognizable traits left of the old Tweed contingency.

Then as you can imagine after the ARL revoked the license a similar amount of change was forced again to separate the Chargers from Muller's (highly disfunctional) fanchise.

Yes it was the same license but holding the same license does not make you the same club, just as the license that the Singapore Slingers once owned in the NBL was the same one that the Canberra Cannons once owned didn't make them the same club, owning the same license that the Giants/Seagulls once owned didn't make the Gladiators or the Chargers the same "franchise".

The Great Dane

First Grade
The problem with the preposition of this argument is that i would argue it has similar fallacies to the argument for the Manly name-change.

The Raiders have been around for over 30 years; in that time they have created a strong and unique brand image (the lime green). I entirely disagree with the idea that they should move AWAY from this image, in favour of a generic brand that could belong to any new team.

The Raiders currently have the choice of stayng with one of the most recognisable brands in Australian sport or entirely rebranding and changing their colours to blue and gold (remind me again, how many teams have blue and gold as their colours or just use Blue as a primary colour. Now try to think of just one other team in any code that uses lime green).

This idea to change the Eagles name has the same problem. They can keep the name they have been using for the last 60 years and promote the brand off the back of the connected history and tradition.

OR they can rebrand, just 'coz.....

That's not what's even being suggested in either situation!

There is no talk what so ever about the Raiders re-branding to completely remove lime green from our colour scheme, simply the talk (and action) is only of upping the amount of blue and gold on the jersey just enough to keep the Canberra based fans happy without pissing the fans outside of Canberra off. Removing all the lime green from the jersey or even making it the minority colour would be over kill that would piss everybody off, which is exactly what they are trying to avoid by slightly increasing the amount of blue and gold (not pissing the majority of their fans off).

Though admittedly a name change is a bigger issue then how much representation the team colours get on the jersey it's both being done for the same reason.

It's not as if either Manly changing their name to North Shore or the Raiders increasing the amount of Blue and gold on our jersey is being done to hopefully increase our appeal to new markets, it's being done to keep both the markets that we already represent happy!

So the mistake that you are making is that you are trying to apply the reasons why a club representing one area may change their name or the amount of representation of colours on their jersey to the reasons why a club representing two areas would do the same thing, and this is a false stand point because they don't have the same reasons or nessecities to make such changes!

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's true that the Bears brand could be set up elsewhere and that new franchise could gain a lot of value. But it may be difficult in places like Perth (with the Pirates bid) or Queensland (trying to convince queenslanders to support an ex-NSW team). As Adelaide/PNG are a long way off, it really only leaves New Zealand and the Central Coast.

I'm pretty certain that Queenslanders would quickly come around to the idea of supporting the an ex-NSW team if the other options are not as good, and I think that most Queenslanders would agree with me when I say that a Brisbane Bears team would be better then the Bombers.

As for the other options if Brisbane and the rest of SEQ became impossible I'd go with Adelaide and look to try and improve things down there WARL style with the SARL, with the intention of having the Bears represent the city sometime by the mid 2020's. But of course that would be very expensive and risky compared to moving into Brisbane.

I grant that there aren't many options left for the Bears but that's nobodies fault but their own for leaving it so long to look for other options should the CC become unrealistic, and there's not much that can be done about that now.

I disagree with your opinion that the Central Coast can't support an NRL team and most of what anti-Central Coast Bears people say is usually just an opinion based on a preference for other locations and not really based on any firm evidence.

That's not my opinion at all and I've made that abundantly clear many times, but particularly when I said this-

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not completely opposed to the idea of an NRL team on the CC but that team can't be the Bears, it's just to much of a risk that it will go sour with them pushing heavily into NS which would be disastrous.

So nice try, but no.

That said the Central Coast Bears has mutual benefit to both the Coast & Bears parties and it's a logical choice for one of the next 4 NRL sides.

Yes it does have mutual benefit for both the Bears and the CC, but that benefit would come with the cost of seriously destabilising the Sea Eagles position (a team that is still around I might remind you) and that is a position that isn't the most stable one in the first place.

At it's core what you are suggesting (whether you realise it or not) is that we trade the Bears for the Sea Eagles, and I grant you that would be a sensible decision to make if it were the only a choice between the Sea Eagles or the Bears, but it's not only a choice between the Sea Eagles and the Bears, there is a third option of moving the Bears interstate, firmly establishing the Sea Eagles in NS and maybe still granting the CC a license.

That third option benefits everybody involved, not just the CC and the Bears at the expense of everybody else!

It's an A-League side. Soccer is still nowhere near as popular as rugby league on the Central Coast so you're stretching trying to compare the two.

If anything the success that the CCM have had given their minority status just show how much more the Central Coast Bears could achieve given they'd be a much larger and better supported club.
`

That's spin that a biased media could be proud of, do you by chance work for Rupert Murdoch?

The fact that the CC is struggling to support an A-League team makes it even less likely that they will be able to support a much more expensive NRL team.

Don't kid yourself they'd be looking for sponsors in Northern Sydney even before they had taken to Blue Tongue for the first time.

Also don't equate on field success to success on the business side of sport they're two different things, Manly has been successful on the field for years and years that doesn't change the fact that they are treading water off it.

Then they don't get their club. Their choice is total relocation or a meager secondary existence.

That would be very bad business by the NRL.

These are the types of ultimatums the NRL should be putting to all teams, both new and existing. For too long the clubs have dictated the future strategy of the game.

What sort of ultimatums?

As I think that telling all the clubs to give up their juniors and relinquish their hold on their target markets would be very counter productive.

Benny

First Grade
That's incorrect (though I can understand why you would think that), though the Giants and the Seagulls were the same franchise the Gladiators and then the Chargers were not.

When Jeff Muller came into the picture he bought out the license completely and moved the license up over the boarder from south of the Tweed to the GC so that it only represented the Gold Coast (effectively making the Gladiators the first stand alone GC team in the NSWRL/ARL/NRL ever). He removed all of the old people involved with the club and replaced them with his own effectively making it a new club and completely re-branding so that there were no recognizable traits left of the old Tweed contingency.

Then as you can imagine after the ARL revoked the license a similar amount of change was forced again to separate the Chargers from Muller's (highly disfunctional) fanchise.

Yes it was the same license but holding the same license does not make you the same club, just as the license that the Singapore Slingers once owned in the NBL was the same one that the Canberra Cannons once owned didn't make them the same club, owning the same license that the Giants/Seagulls once owned didn't make the Gladiators or the Chargers the same "franchise".

I understand the history but to separate them because of different licenses/owners/names is absurd - effectively the same team from inception in 1988 to 1998. You could even make the case the Titans are a continuation of this.

Benny

First Grade
Never work in reality? It's the CC + NS idea that would never work in reality. There's very little synergy between the CC and NS, despite the claims of those who support the Bears covering both the CC and NS. The CC is hard to get to for a large portion of the NS (especially when it comes to making evening kick off times after work), isn't an appealing place to travel to for casual/non-hardcore RL fans (e.g. you've got next-to-no chance of getting a casual RL fan in somewhere like Willoughby or Cremorne to travel up to Gosford for games, no matter what day they're on, a 20-30 minute bus trip to the Beaches though is a far easier and more appealing proposition) and leaves the North Shore with a weak, token RL presence.
The Northern Beaches and the North Shore are far easier to travel between, with it being commonplace to travel to either region for work, leisure, school etc., plus North Shore teams already play with Northern Beaches teams in local RL, having the two regions together supporting the same first grade team makes far more sense than trying to make the CC + NS work.

Easier to get to Manly - yes but are they more like to go to Manly or the Central Coast...my money is on Central Coast.

Central Coast can support their own team from within the Central Coast in terms of supporters and corporate support for the 10 home games they will play there.

Any support coming from the North Sydney area in terms of support and corporate backing, which there will be, will be a great added bonus and the 2 games they play at North Sydney Oval are sure to be sell outs.

Give the people of Central Coast their own team and give the old Bears fans a team and 2 games a year seems like a win/win situation for me. Not to mention the North Sydney and Central Coast districts will be better looked after and provide a clear pathway for players in those districts.

Sport is very unique and changing the name from Manly as people have suggested is absurd. It won't be accepted by the fans and it is much easier to keep an existing fan than to recruit a new one.

North Sydney will never give up its territory to Manly and nor should it. Manly screwed North Sydney over and the people of the Central Coast.

While nice in theory - Manly taking up North Sydney's territory and or changing their name will never happen. So lets move on from the nice in theory but will never work in reality waffle.

Do I think the Central Coast Bears will work - YES.

Do I think they are one of the two best bids for expansion right now - YES.

Do I think they are one of the two best areas for expansion right now - NO.

Benny

First Grade
St George Illawarra Dragons - Sydney wide & Illawarra support - through ground rationalization to grow Sydney support through select large SFS & Western Sydney marquee blockbuster games and as away support, and to better engage the Illawarra & South Coast through a gradual long term majority shift to Wollongong which also helps clear the Sydney market.

The Illawarra aren't in a position, nor will they be anytime in the future to support a team in the NRL playing the majority of games in Wollongong.

If this were to happen would the same people on here suggesting Manly change name, also suggest St.George (the most famous name in Rugby League) change their name to Illawarra Dragons or similar to better represent the region they are covering?

The Great Dane

First Grade
I understand the history but to separate them because of different licenses/owners/names is absurd - effectively the same team from inception in 1988 to 1998. You could even make the case the Titans are a continuation of this.

Again that's incorrect.

The license that they all owned at one point or another was the only thing that they had in common (apart from the Titans who have a different license altogether).

The Gladiators were a different club/organisation/group/consortium/company/whatever you want to call the actual business it's self, from the Giants/Seagulls and the Chargers and Titans were other separate organisations from the others too, there for it was not simply a matter of the same business just with minor changes of name or owner it was a completely new business coming in after another unrelated business had gone bust and there for they were different and should not be considered the same.

reanimate

Bench
Easier to get to Manly - yes but are they more like to go to Manly or the Central Coast...my money is on Central Coast.
Then, outside of a small group of Bears hardcores, you'll be doing your money. It'll be effectively impossible to make kickoff on Friday/Monday games for a lot of NS fans who work. Plus, as I said, the Central Coast isn't exactly destination number one for a lot of people from the NS, people don't move freely between the two like they do with the NS and NB (the closest suburbs to the CC still have a long drive on a freeway at 110km/h to do), and the CC generally isn't viewed as an appealing place to go to. You go around and survey people from the North Shore (especially the lower North Shore) and ask how many are planning to, or would like to have a day out in Gosford/the CC this weekend vs how many are planning to go somewhere, or would like to go somewhere on the Northern Beaches/Manly this weekend. It's just not something that happens, the two areas have very little synergy, it's the Bears who are forcing something that doesn't make sense and that doesn't really happen in reality.
Central Coast can support their own team from within the Central Coast in terms of supporters and corporate support for the 10 home games they will play there.

Any support coming from the North Sydney area in terms of support and corporate backing, which there will be, will be a great added bonus and the 2 games they play at North Sydney Oval are sure to be sell outs.
They're only planning on playing one game at NSO- one game at NSO will do very little in terms of strengthening RL in the area. You've got next-to-no chance at turning casual and bandwagon NS fans into hardcore fans making regular trips to the CC, all it'll do is give the NS a weak, token RL presence, with the NSO game regarded as a once-a-year novelty.
Give the people of Central Coast their own team and give the old Bears fans a team and 2 games a year seems like a win/win situation for me. Not to mention the North Sydney and Central Coast districts will be better looked after and provide a clear pathway for players in those districts.
The North Shore would also be better looked after if Manly was allowed full access to it. Suggesting that the Bears will be able to look after both regions equally well is laughable, one will end up suffering, as is the notion that putting juniors from Mosman into the same system as the CC makes for a clear pathway.
Sport is very unique and changing the name from Manly as people have suggested is absurd. It won't be accepted by the fans and it is much easier to keep an existing fan than to recruit a new one.

North Sydney will never give up its territory to Manly and nor should it. Manly screwed North Sydney over and the people of the Central Coast.

While nice in theory - Manly taking up North Sydney's territory and or changing their name will never happen. So lets move on from the nice in theory but will never work in reality waffle.
Here's your problem, you're thinking far, far too much about the old Bears fans, no they won't ever accept another team other than the Bears, but there's only so many of them, and as time goes on, there are less and less of them and more and more kids and young people who grew up not caring about the Bears, and who wouldn't really give a damn about their return. It's the kids and young people who a rezoning of the North Shore would be targeted at, and who should be targeted. As I said, young people from both regions already mix and intermingle a lot already, I work on the North Shore and nearly all the guys I work with in their 20s follow Manly in some form (most follow Manly and the Wallabies), not to mention that the two regions already play RL in the same local comp- building upon that makes far more sense than trying to make the CC + NS work.

Btw, Super League screwed the Bears over, blaming Manly is what some like to do, but that's oversimplifying the situation.

Benny

First Grade
Again that's incorrect.

The license that they all owned at one point or another was the only thing that they had in common (apart from the Titans who have a different license altogether).

The Gladiators were a different club/organisation/group/consortium/company/whatever you want to call the actual business it's self, from the Giants/Seagulls and the Chargers and Titans were other separate organisations from the others too, there for it was not simply a matter of the same business just with minor changes of name or owner it was a completely new business coming in after another unrelated business had gone bust and there for they were different and should not be considered the same.

I understand the history and what has happened with the Gold Coast Titans/Chargers/Seagulls etc.

The whole point of my original thread was that there was a team on the Gold Coast and representing the Gold Coast (yes I know originally based out of Tweed Heads because Broncos had an exclusive South East Queensland license) from 1988 to 1998.

It is as simple as that and no need to think/seem superior and go and make corrections. If you were going to make corrections to Gold Coast you should have also made corrections to clubs that have changed names (Bulldogs, Roosters etc) and clubs that have changed ownership/structure/business model (Broncos, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sea-Eagles).

You didn't so lets move on!

Last edited:

Benny

First Grade
Then, outside of a small group of Bears hardcores, you'll be doing your money. It'll be effectively impossible to make kickoff on Friday/Monday games for a lot of NS fans who work. Plus, as I said, the Central Coast isn't exactly destination number one for a lot of people from the NS, people don't move freely between the two like they do with the NS and NB (the closest suburbs to the CC still have a long drive on a freeway at 110km/h to do), and the CC generally isn't viewed as an appealing place to go to. You go around and survey people from the North Shore (especially the lower North Shore) and ask how many are planning to, or would like to have a day out in Gosford/the CC this weekend vs how many are planning to go somewhere, or would like to go somewhere on the Northern Beaches/Manly this weekend. It's just not something that happens, the two areas have very little synergy, it's the Bears who are forcing something that doesn't make sense and that doesn't really happen in reality.

They're only planning on playing one game at NSO- one game at NSO will do very little in terms of strengthening RL in the area. You've got next-to-no chance at turning casual and bandwagon NS fans into hardcore fans making regular trips to the CC, all it'll do is give the NS a weak, token RL presence, with the NSO game regarded as a once-a-year novelty.
The North Shore would also be better looked after if Manly was allowed full access to it. Suggesting that the Bears will be able to look after both regions equally well is laughable, one will end up suffering, as is the notion that putting juniors from Mosman into the same system as the CC makes for a clear pathway.

Here's your problem, you're thinking far, far too much about the old Bears fans, no they won't ever accept another team other than the Bears, but there's only so many of them, and as time goes on, there are less and less of them and more and more kids and young people who grew up not caring about the Bears, and who wouldn't really give a damn about their return. It's the kids and young people who a rezoning of the North Shore would be targeted at, and who should be targeted. As I said, young people from both regions already mix and intermingle a lot already, I work on the North Shore and nearly all the guys I work with in their 20s follow Manly in some form (most follow Manly and the Wallabies), not to mention that the two regions already play RL in the same local comp- building upon that makes far more sense than trying to make the CC + NS work.

Btw, Super League screwed the Bears over, blaming Manly is what some like to do, but that's oversimplifying the situation.

Point 1: It is going to be difficult for anyone outside of the Central Coast to get to the Central Coast on a Friday/Monday night - not really any different to a number of other grounds for most fans in Sydney on those nights.

Point 2: It doesn't need the fans from North Sydney to be successful, just an added bonus.

Point 3: Playing one game in the North Sydney Oval will be one more game in the area than they currently get. I only see that as a good thing.

Point 4: The Bears could easily look after both regions - not really that difficult and St.George-Illawarra seem to manage it so please explain how it would be so hard and any easier for Manly?

Point 5: It would provide a clear pathway as currently for North Sydney juniors the pathway past SG Ball is non existent but with the Central Coast Bears the pathway would be into the Central Coast Bears U/20's.

Point 6: If what you're saying is that most people in North Sydney already support Manly I would assume that would continue, which would be great. The return of the Bears would bring back all the other supporters who would have been lost to the game and all I see here is more fans - those that will continue to or start supporting Manly and those that will continue to or start to support the Bears.

Point 6: I don't know how old you are but here is a history lesson. Yes Super League started the process but Norths and Manly merged to create the Northern Eagles with a clause that if the joint venture failed that the license reverted back to Manly. The Manly side derailed the joint venture so that they could once again be Manly and kill off Norths/Central Coast.

I agree that while it makes more geographical sense for Manly to service the North Sydney region (just like it would for Cronulla rather than St.George to service the Illawarra) I just don't believe it would happen anytime in the future due to the history. Would Manly even want to service the area and would they do as good a job as the Central Coast Bears - unlikely.

The rivalry between the Bears (both from Central Coast and North Sydney) with Manly would really add to the game and interest across the whole region.

Manly will never change their name and any 'representation' of North Sydney would simply be far more 'token' than what the Bears would provide in my opinion.

You are obviously a Manly fan and I take that into consideration with your argument and see many of your points but I just don't agree with some of them, just like you may see with mine.

Neither of us are likely to change opinions but the great thing about opinions are they are like arseholes - we've all got one and they're all different. Nice debating with you.

reanimate

Bench
Point 1: It is going to be difficult for anyone outside of the Central Coast to get to the Central Coast on a Friday/Monday night - not really any different to a number of other grounds for most fans in Sydney on those nights.
That's a pretty damn big point when the Bears are supposed to represent a large portion of Sydney. If they can't get to games, then something about the bid seems very, very, very wrong.
Point 2: It doesn't need the fans from North Sydney to be successful, just an added bonus.
If that's the case, then why do they want/need the North Shore? The old Bears fans will come back into the fold regardless of whether they hold the NS or not. If they don't need the North Shore to be successful, then give the area up to Manly who have far better access to it and focus on the CC, rather than trying to spread themselves ridiculously thin and relegating RL on the NS to a token presence only.
Point 3: Playing one game in the North Sydney Oval will be one more game in the area than they currently get. I only see that as a good thing.
With all other games far away on the CC, or 10+ games in an extremely close area? Who knows, Manly may even have to use NSO for a while when Brookvale gets redeveloped. :shock:
Point 4: The Bears could easily look after both regions - not really that difficult and St.George-Illawarra seem to manage it so please explain how it would be so hard and any easier for Manly?
It would be far, far easier for Manly as both regions are right next door to each other. They aren't separated by a long drive on a freeway, you can literally drive from the edge of the North Shore to the edge of the Northern Beaches in 30 seconds (if that). That can't be understated, major shopping centres and residential areas such as Chatswood are >=20 minutes drive from Brookvale Oval- it's far, far easier for Manly to get around the NS and do promo work, school visits, clinics etc, rather than have one team try and cover the extremely large CC as well as the NS.
Btw, it's debatable if the Dragons do a good job of it or not, plus that's not touching on the ridiculousness of the Cronulla situation, with them being surrounded on all sides by Dragons territory. It would have made far more sense for Cronulla to have been folded, or for the Sharks and Steelers to have merged- that sort of situation is exactly what the NRL needs to avoid when it expands again, and giving the Bears both the NS and the CC will result in Manly being stuck in a Cronulla-like situation. The Sharks have been a basket case, and the development is what's saving them, the NRL do not, in any way, want to even chance having an existing club end up in another situation like that.
Point 5: It would provide a clear pathway as currently for North Sydney juniors the pathway past SG Ball is non existent but with the Central Coast Bears the pathway would be into the Central Coast Bears U/20's.
They'd go into Souths U/20's at the moment, wouldn't they? And if the area were to come under the Sea Eagles, they'd go into the Sea Eagles U/20's. That doesn't address how ludicrous it would be having juniors from Mosman and the CC come under the same system.
Point 6: If what you're saying is that most people in North Sydney already support Manly I would assume that would continue, which would be great. The return of the Bears would bring back all the other supporters who would have been lost to the game and all I see here is more fans - those that will continue to or start supporting Manly and those that will continue to or start to support the Bears.
Not all people, mainly young people. The return of the Bears on the CC will bring those Bears supporters back to the game regardless of whether they hold the NS as part of their territory. Give the North Shore to the Sea Eagles to develop and give the Bears only the CC and you've got a far better chance of turning young, casual RL fans on the North Shore into more hardcore RL fans who will make regular trips to games etc.
Give the Bears both and young people will regard the Bears as an in-town-once-a-year novelty and you'll have very little chance of turning them into hardcore fans travelling to the CC for every home game. The old Bears hardcore will do that regardless of whether they hold the NS or not.
Point 6: I don't know how old you are but here is a history lesson. Yes Super League started the process but Norths and Manly merged to create the Northern Eagles with a clause that if the joint venture failed that the license reverted back to Manly. The Manly side derailed the joint venture so that they could once again be Manly and kill off Norths/Central Coast.
I know all that, but blaming Manly for the fall of Norths isn't telling the whole story, Norths were broke, they were going to get cut with the post SL rationalisation, Manly was also in a bad state after they helped fight off SL, but still nowhere near as bad as Norths. Manly was always going to get a licence, Norths weren't, but the two decided to band together to see if they could make it work and to try and stem the financial damage that SL caused them. Norths still bled money, crowds on the CC decreased rapidly and weren't making the JV money, and the board fought constantly. Manly knew they could be successful again as a standalone club (as they were before) and held the licence, whereas the Norths side of it was in a bad way, continuing the unhealthy relationship could have killed off both clubs for good.

It's easy to blame Manly, but Norths were going to get cut either way, that's not Manly's fault.
I agree that while it makes more geographical sense for Manly to service the North Sydney region (just like it would for Cronulla rather than St.George to service the Illawarra) I just don't believe it would happen anytime in the future due to the history. Would Manly even want to service the area and would they do as good a job as the Central Coast Bears - unlikely.
Yes, Manly would want to and has attempted to do work in the area recently, but it has resulted in the Bears running off to the NSWRL, trying to keep Manly out.
Manly will never change their name and any 'representation' of North Sydney would simply be far more 'token' than what the Bears would provide in my opinion.
Of course Manly would change their name if it meant access to hundreds of thousands of new fans while maintaining their old homeland, and if they got to keep the Manly name in some form in the process.
You are obviously a Manly fan and I take that into consideration with your argument and see many of your points but I just don't agree with some of them, just like you may see with mine.

Neither of us are likely to change opinions but the great thing about opinions are they are like arseholes - we've all got one and they're all different. Nice debating with you.
I'm not only speaking as a Manly fan here, I'm speaking as someone with a lot of friends in the area and who works and spends a lot of time on the North Shore. While I admit I have some bias, I'm also echoing the views of people I know from the area, people who have grown up mostly without the Bears (I.e. they don't care about them, so their views are a good indicator of what people in the area who aren't tied to the Bears in any way think) and who think the CC Bears holding the NS is a stupid idea.

Titanic

First Grade
I feel that the QRL move to re-include a team from PNG in the QCup is the correct model for the rest of the South Pacific nations. Dreams of PNG in the NRL are way off reality, either now or in the foreseeable future. However, adding Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and the Cook Islands for starters to the second tier competitions has some real merit on several fronts. Costs are an issue but then again what other Australian sport could truly tap into the Pacific as league could? Was that "Yawnion" I heard somebody shout? Nope, they have nothing to offer on the domestic stage.

And that limits the expansion debate to Australia and New Zealand as it should, imho.