What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals 2024

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
It feels like a long season. We started a week earlier in LV, didn't we? The Warriors are long gone, Manly are out (Beave brings his energy when they're in), and it's a predictable grand final (with a likely - four-in-a-row - Penrith to win).

I'm eyeing my old cricket books on the shelf. Who else is running out of footy steam?
I’ve still got plenty in me, attending my first Kiwis v Kangaroos match next month and taking the young fella along

After that it will be cricket, NBA, Breakers and Darts for me

Big Marn

Bench
Darts for me
I would love to follow Darts if theres a kiwi to look out for.
I follow almost everything where there is a kiwi competing. Ryan Fox has been frustrating this season on the PGA tour. Thank goodness for Lydia.

Do we have any kiwis good enough to win Darts tournaments or even make money from them?

I used to follow snooker before and when Dene O'Kane was prominent.

I used to love watching Pot Black in the old days. Steve Davis, Ray Reardon (dead ringer for Dracula lol) , Steven Hendry and the rest. Watched less and less after ronnie o'sullivans heyday in the early 2000s . I probably couldnt tell you a snooker players name now.

But yeah, i digress lol. Is there a darts player i should look out for from NZ?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Barrett to be HC? That would be great news for the rest of the NRL.
Haha, zero chance. The Paul Langmack of the modern era is not going to be accepted in Brisbane with the guys they have on contract now. They have to win one with Walsh Haas Carrigan Ma'am Staggs Cobbo etc.

Maguire or Slater?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I would love to follow Darts if theres a kiwi to look out for.
I follow almost everything where there is a kiwi competing. Ryan Fox has been frustrating this season on the PGA tour. Thank goodness for Lydia.

Do we have any kiwis good enough to win Darts tournaments or even make money from them?

I used to follow snooker before and when Dene O'Kane was prominent.

I used to love watching Pot Black in the old days. Steve Davis, Ray Reardon (dead ringer for Dracula lol) , Steven Hendry and the rest. Watched less and less after ronnie o'sullivans heyday in the early 2000s . I probably couldnt tell you a snooker players name now.

But yeah, i digress lol. Is there a darts player i should look out for from NZ?

We have our first ever kiwi in the pro ranks this year, Haupai Puha. There are 128 Professional tour cards in the PDC, and last year about 25-30 of them become available. Across 2 Q-Schools 800 people had a crack at getting them over 7 days, and he got through the first 3 days of stage 1, and in stage 2 where they give the cards out, he secured his on the order of merit after 3 days. Is a very tough tour, that card gets you entry into 30 pro tour events over the course of the year, and into the qualifiers for the 13 Euro tour events they run where 32 automatically qualify and the rest are left to battle out for 10 spots, and the work you do in those can qualify you to all the major events. Rankings based on prize money, and you have 2 years to work your way into the top 64, anyone outside of the top 64 that has had their card for 2 years or longer has to relinquish it and try their luck at Q school again. He has missed a few due to visa issues, but after 23 tournaments has made the top 32 a couple of times, and qualified for a couple of the Euro tours where bigger money can be earned. His game has come a long way so far, but it’s bloody tough and he has left his wife and kids back here to chase it which isn’t easy. They come out to Australia and NZ each year in August and locals get to have a crack at 8 of the top dogs. He was involved in that this year and drew an ex world champion currently ranked 4th in both of them, and lost both encounters 6-5

Ben Robb is another kiwi that is hugely talented but hasn’t had the luck at Q School so far, he is currently ranked 1 in the world amateur rankings. There is a half Māori fella that plays out of Australia, Damon Heta, who has cracked the top 10

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Maguire would probably hurt poor little reecey boys feelings

There is no out and out standout choice for this so will be an interesting watch. Brad Arthur may be in the mix as well

Blair

Coach
It's English 'darts' weather in Sydney today. The perfect vibe for playing darts in a pub or thinking about footy!

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Up the Red White and Bluesters

Hope the 2 big grubs get right into each other, apparently in a Kiwis camp a couple of years ago they got into it and there is a genuine dislike there

Latest posts