What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals System Changed

Good decision to change finals system?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hybrid_tiger

Coach
If people think this is going to end the finals debate they are kidding themselves.

I predict 1st and 2nd will play off in the prelim this year, leading to the same idiots who hated the McIntyre system to decide that this system is also unfair and needs changing.

:edit:

Also, I don't see how this system is any fairer in terms of providing home ground advantage to the top 4. The McIntyre system guaranteed 1 home final for each top 4 side. So does this system.

No system is perfect. But this one is much better than the McIntyre one, IMO.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Fantastic news. Should make for less blow out games and also rewards the top four far better than the flawed McIntyre system ever did.

El Diablo

Post Whore
It really shits me that they (media) keep calling it the 'AFL System'.
Rugby League had it first and I'm pretty sure AFL had the MacIntyre System first.

good to see the ARLC didn't

For the first time since 1996, the competition will split the top four and the bottom four finalists into separate pools in week one of the Telstra Premiership Finals Series (The Australian Rugby League used such a model in both 1995 and 1996).

Meh, neither system is very good and both have several flaws. This has been a long time coming, surprised it didn't happen after the Cowboys turn around in 2005 (although if they won the comp it probably would have).

Joely01

Bench
Think this is stupid, never had a problem with the mcIntyre system.

Dont understand why everyone people didnt like the McIntyre system.....

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'm impressed that a decision was made without 57 CEO conferences in Byron Bay or the Gold Coast. It will reward consistency but also reveal flaws in our season such as the adverse effects of origin on some sides.

Danish

Referee
Fantastic news. Should make for less blow out games and also rewards the top four far better than the flawed McIntyre system ever did.

To me this system gives too much advantage to 3rd and 4th at the expense of 1st and 2nd. It guarantees a 2nd chance for the side that came 4th, but gives 1st and 2nd a harder run to the GF by making them play tougher opposition in the first week. If either of the top 2 lose, then only 1 of them can make the grand final.

To me, that was the best part about the Mcintyre system. All rewards were weighed towards the top 2, giving them the easiest first week opponents, and a guarantee that they would only face off against each other if they made it to the GF.

BunniesMan

Immortal
If people think this is going to end the finals debate they are kidding themselves.

I predict 1st and 2nd will play off in the prelim this year, leading to the same idiots who hated the McIntyre system to decide that this system is also unfair and needs changing.

:edit:

Also, I don't see how this system is any fairer in terms of providing home ground advantage to the top 4. The McIntyre system guaranteed 1 home final for each top 4 side. So does this system. home ground advantage has also proven to be very overrated come finals time considering how many week 1 upsets we've seen over the last 3-4 seasons.
I don't think the increased fairness has anything to do with home grounds. Especially these days when the NRL is so flexible with where finals games are played. The increased fairness comes with the fact that the top 4 are safe in the 1st week and are playing for the right to be one game away from the GF.

It was farcical to think that 3rd and 4th could have been eliminated in the 1st week and that bottom 4 teams could have a home final after week 1.

No system is perfect but this system is better because there is more reward to finishing better. The old one supported mediocrity too much. This one does more to support the teams that are the best over the entire season rather than teams that hit a 6 week run of form at the right time of year.

Danish

Referee
.....unless of course if you finish 1st or 2nd. In which case you are worse off under the new system.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm impressed that a decision was made without 57 CEO conferences in Byron Bay or the Gold Coast. It will reward consistency but also reveal flaws in our season such as the adverse effects of origin on some sides.
WTF. Don't do that. Don't post things I have to agree with.

Agreed about the procrastinating. The old regime would spend years touching themselves over an issue only to come up with no answers. Let's hope this is a sign of things to come from this mob. That they make the right decisions within a reasonable amount of time instead of taking years to arrive at the wrong conclusion.

gronkathon

First Grade
To me this system gives too much advantage to 3rd and 4th at the expense of 1st and 2nd. It guarantees a 2nd chance for the side that came 4th, but gives 1st and 2nd a harder run to the GF by making them play tougher opposition in the first week. If either of the top 2 lose, then only 1 of them can make the grand final.

To me, that was the best part about the Mcintyre system. All rewards were weighed towards the top 2, giving them the easiest first week opponents, and a guarantee that they would only face off against each other if they made it to the GF.

I can see where you are coming from but I firmly believe that if you make the Top 4 you have earned a guaranteed second chance

BunniesMan

Immortal
.....unless of course if you finish 1st or 2nd. In which case you are worse off under the new system.
1st and 2nd still have a home final against a lower team to get to within a week of the GF.

The greater injustice was 3rd and 4th being treated little better than a team that scrapes into the finals after struggling to go .500 for the season.

Like I said earlier, this system isn't perfect, but it's closer to being perfect than the old system.

Slackboy72

Coach
Thank f**k for that.
So we've gone back to the 'AFL' system which the 'AFL' copied from us in the first place. Wasn't too hard was it Mr Gallop you flying sack of over-verbose dog-turd.

Latest posts