What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals System Changed

Good decision to change finals system?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2D2

Bench
Great decision.
The Telstra Premiership finals system will continue to be played on the basis of ‘home city’ venues in week one and two and ‘home region’ venues in week three.
Even better decision.
SUCK IT

juro

Bench
I didn't mind the McIntyre system. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm not going to get too excited about this decision...

The Brain

Juniors
Much better and good for the teams that put the effort in all season long-i would like to see the Minor Premiers some how get more recognition -bigger prize offer or some thing.

Mr Saab

Referee
Thank f**k for that.
So we've gone back to the 'AFL' system which the 'AFL' copied from us in the first place. Wasn't too hard was it Mr Gallop you flying sack of over-verbose dog-turd.

Yes it is amazing what an "independent commision" could do to Gallop. He defended the stupid system since he came into power in 2002 and now he scraps it.
The NRL were as useless as the state and federal labor parties.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Much better and good for the teams that put the effort in all season long-i would like to see the Minor Premiers some how get more recognition -bigger prize offer or some thing.
Minor premiers get 100k if i recall correctly. I'd like to see that increased a bit.

Springs

First Grade
Finally! So much better than that McIntyre crap where 3rd can get kicked out first week, or 6th can get a week off, or 8th can lose more games than they win in the regular season but get a home game in week 2.

Lego_Man

First Grade
They changed it because of androtrop whiners. The same whiners will find problems with the return to the ARL system.

I actually think that over the longterm, McIntyre delivers far fewer anomalies. Ah well, back to the good old days of the 1 v 2 Grand Finals every year.

The debate will be back within 3 seasons.

docbrown

Coach
The problem with McIntyre is that weeks 2 & 3 were supposed to be at neutral venues to negate the rankings. But after the Storm v Cowboys match at SFS they change it to home finals which contradicted the original intent.

Danish

Referee
They changed it because of androtrop whiners. The same whiners will find problems with the return to the ARL system.

I actually think that over the longterm, McIntyre delivers far fewer anomalies. Ah well, back to the good old days of the 1 v 2 Grand Finals every year.

The debate will be back within 3 seasons.

Actually 1 vs 2 is less assured under the ARL system, as the Mcintyre system ensured that they were kept on separate sides of the draw no matter what.

IMO we'll see a 1 vs 2 prelim this year, and the whingers will be out in full force.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Good, NO SYSTEM where team 3 and 4 can be eliminated week 1 is a good system. The AFL (ARL) system is not perfect but 99 times out of 100 the right two teams play in the final.

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Well about f**king time!!!

Can't believe we had a system where a teams fate was decided on other games. Absolutely f**king ridiculous.

MSIH

Bench
Wholeheartedly agree. The competition is about winning, not losing. Finals footy is about stepping up to be winners. Winners win, losers don't deserve to stick around.

Like the Warriors coming 6th last year, losing by 40 in Week 1 and still making the GF?

The McIntyre system had its flaws, but I still maintain that the biggest issues were around the "home ground advantage" rather than the system itself.

Assuming all the highest ranked teams win, the minor premiers under the McIntyre system had to beat teams 8, 4 & 2 to win the premiership. And team 2 had to beat teams 7, 3 & 1.

But until this "new" system, the minor premiers need to beat teams 4, 3 then 2 to lift the trophy, and team 2 needs to beat teams 3, 4 then 1. This makes it a significantly more difficult path to victory for teams 1 & 2. Give me the McIntyre system with home ground advantage for the highest ranked teams anyday.

Springs

First Grade
Wholeheartedly agree. The competition is about winning, not losing. Finals footy is about stepping up to be winners. Winners win, losers don't deserve to stick around.

If it's just about winning and not rewarding the best teams during the season then just make it a straight knockout.
Can't believe we had a system where a teams fate was decided on other games. Absolutely f**king ridiculous.

This was the worst thing about the old system.

firechild

First Grade
I used to think this was the right way to go but IMO it does not sufficiently reward teams 1 and 2. Sure, they just have to win 1 game to get the week off but instead fo having to beat teams 8 and 7 respectively, they have to beat teams 4 and 3. Finishing 2nd or 3rd makes almost no difference, especially if both teams are from Sydney. It also makes the run of teams 7 and 8 much easier.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Maybe it's only me but I support this system. The McIntyre offered far too much opportunity to lower placed teams and made it far too easy for a team on a late season run to win the premiership.

Why should a team who performed consistently throughout the year not reap the benefits, even allowing for an off-game... and see a team which sat on it's arse for the first half of the season wipe through and get to the Grand Final?

The fact there's 8 teams playing in the GF of a 16 team comp in itself is a farce. Good decision to put more emphasis on finishing top four.

Latest posts