What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Games

Spazer

Juniors
Can someone explain to me why Dragons can’t do a backline sweep play like the Sharks or Souths do? It is a predictable play but often results in tries.
Dragons look like they don’t train during the week, do they all have full time jobs outside of NRL?
Not the classic sweep but we did against penriff right before Lomax's try was sharp and had all our danger players running direct and to the line. It was on our left edge too which imo is the better side to do the sweep on. We just can't execute these kind of plays consistently which is frustrating since we have the players to do it.

Cronulla do it beautifully, in fact their whole style is very similar to our 2009-10 days.

Dragon David

First Grade
It's always frustrating watching Penrith play - they always win hahaha. They will be in the grand final this year. They are just a hard team to play against as their defence is so good.

They have lost several players to other clubs this year but still they have replacements who can fit the bill and win them games. They will lose Kikau next year but they will have someone lined up to take his place.

Souths tried hard tonight but were not good enough.

Souths were well and truly beaten in the forwards, but Penrith also have the best halves combination in the league and their backline looked very slick. One day Luai - a master at starting a stink and then running away - is going to run out of luck and get belted. Or, at least, he would have in the olden days.
It's early doors, but I'm predicting a Penriff v Scumnulla GF. Which would be awful.

Dragon David

First Grade
Souths were well and truly beaten in the forwards, but Penrith also have the best halves combination in the league and their backline looked very slick. One day Luai - a master at starting a stink and then running away - is going to run out of luck and get belted. Or, at least, he would have in the olden days.
It's early doors, but I'm predicting a Penriff v Scumnulla GF. Which would be awful.
Yes that would be NOTB. That would be a first for the clubs if they were to face each other in the GF - since 1967 when they first came into the ARL. I suppose it is better than seeing the Storm and Roosters in the GF for a change.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints have played 2 of the best teams in 2022 so far in the Panthers and Sharks. Both those 2 teams are playing well and are the 2 stand outs so far. Saints lost to the panthers due to sin bins which Panthers capitalised with 14 points but when it was 13 on 13 they matched them. The Sharks game was a shocker and the Sharks certainly handled the conditions well.

Knights, Parra and Storm are the other team that would follow in terms of form. I think if Saints played them they would have lost to them as well in the early rounds. Knights copped the sin binning against Panthers but still managed to score 20. They like Saints lost their 2 games to Panthers and Sharks but were super impressive against the Chooks. Storm and Parra have not been to bad but not as good as Sharks and Panthers.

The game today against the Eels would have given us a good insight into how Saints are going if he kept Sloan and Amone on but he has changed it so we will never know. Saints did beat Parra in a trial which I know is not much but Sloan and Amone were part of that. Very confused with these selections. Hopefully this is a one off and Sloan and Amone are back in sooner rather than later no matter how Mbye and Bird go today.

thebigredv

First Grade
Other teams play with so much more urgency and speed. We are just slow, boring and then suddenly frantic. Not trying to sink the boot in but Griffin is just the wrong coach for today's style of rugby league.the new 6 again rules just exacerbate this all the more.

Illusion

Bench
Other teams play with so much more urgency and speed. We are just slow, boring and then suddenly frantic. Not trying to sink the boot in but Griffin is just the wrong coach for today's style of rugby league.the new 6 again rules just exacerbate this all the more.
The game has passed him .....

jeffdragon

Bench
Broncos were more outsiders than we are.
Almost won it'.
Surely we are a better team than them.
If only we played with a bit of heart.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
See the Knights game last night? Bog average!

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes the Broncos played very well tonight and with a bit of luck would had won . Damn shame they received 2 penalties in the last seconds of play instead of earlier on . 🤔

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
It's always frustrating watching Penrith play - they always win hahaha. They will be in the grand final this year. They are just a hard team to play against as their defence is so good.

They have lost several players to other clubs this year but still they have replacements who can fit the bill and win them games. They will lose Kikau next year but they will have someone lined up to take his place.

Souths tried hard tonight but were not good enough.
It is just one way traffic at the moment with the Panthers. Looking at their draw they have got quite a few easy games for the rest of the year. Yes they will play the Storm, Eels and Roosters twice and could lose a couple of games there, but they do have many weaker teams to play.

They will win the minor premiership I have no doubt. They are just like a well oiled machine that keeps going on and on.

They will be the new Storm.

It makes me sick and I and willing myself not to bother watching them play anymore because I'm a spoil sport and envious of them. Blah, blah , blah.....

I'm Hornby

Juniors
The Sharks showed tonight that even the more favoured teams struggle to play for 80 mins like we do and they're still a long long way off being as good as Melbourne and Penrith. Similar to us against Parra none of their forwards ran for more than 100 meters. Their first half was good but they faded in the second half, wonder what was said at half time by Fitzy!

Last edited: