What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 27 v Raiders

Dragon David

First Grade
justadragon said -

"In saying that though, there still needs to be a level of scrutiny on Young, what were his achievements when he was with us , then the cows and now back with us. You have to call a spade a spade at some stage."

Are they the same culprits missing tackles? If so, it is on Young to fix it and to warn them that if they continue to stuff it up, they are in reserves in the next few games or until Young knows that they have fixed their defence issues.

Young is the defence coach and he should know better because he played under Bennett whose theory is that great defence wins games in most cases. We lost so many games by big scores this year and so have so many other teams. The Rules have made the game faster, so unless a team is in tune for the match, they will tire sooner than they should and get run down or scored against many times over for a blowout score by a more in tune team.

For us to have been run down by the Raiders after we went way ahead on the scoreboard makes me wonder what allows our players to let the lead slip and that answer is that the Raiders lifted and defended better than us so that we couldn't score again and they had the momentum to actually score while our defence went south.

since77

Juniors
justadragon said -

"In saying that though, there still needs to be a level of scrutiny on Young, what were his achievements when he was with us , then the cows and now back with us. You have to call a spade a spade at some stage."

Are they the same culprits missing tackles? If so, it is on Young to fix it and to warn them that if they continue to stuff it up, they are in reserves in the next few games or until Young knows that they have fixed their defence issues.

Young is the defence coach and he should know better because he played under Bennett whose theory is that great defence wins games in most cases. We lost so many games by big scores this year and so have so many other teams. The Rules have made the game faster, so unless a team is in tune for the match, they will tire sooner than they should and get run down or scored against many times over for a blowout score by a more in tune team.

For us to have been run down by the Raiders after we went way ahead on the scoreboard makes me wonder what allows our players to let the lead slip and that answer is that the Raiders lifted and defended better than us so that we couldn't score again and they had the momentum to actually score while our defence went south.
To me the defensive frailties this year are indicative of either one of two things:

1. The structures and systems are flawed. If this is the case the coach is responsible.

2. The players aren't up to the job and their attitude and application to the task is poor. If this is the case, the "guilty" players are not good enough and need to be replaced with better players.

I've said it quite a few times during the season and I just can't see any evidence that number 1 above is the actual problem. To my eyes it is always number 2 that is the issue. The defensive efforts made by some players this year were woeful and any defensive structure is going to struggle once the line is breached by what is in most cases simple one on one misses.

Personally I don't think anything gets fixed defensively until the roster is stronger and we have a core group of players who can perform the basic task of tackling. It boggles my mind that we have an NRL team in which a large percentage of the roster literally aren't good enough to defend at this level......

By all means bring in a new defensive coach and make DY the scapegoat. But I don't think it will fix the issue until we have better players on the field.