What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Games

I'm Hornby

Juniors
4th after 11 rounds, 7 wins 4 losses.
What’s a pass mark for Fitzy this year in your eyes?
So far so good in my eyes, wish we had him.
I think top 6 finish is a pass mark for Fitzy. The big test for him though will be whether he can build them in to a consistent top 4 side year in year out and get them to push for a premiership in the next 2-3 seasons, that part remains to be seen for now. Noticed Talakai holding his leg at the end too, so hopefully he'll be out for 6-10 weeks and they'll drop a few more winnable games so I can go back to my death riding 😂

Hook has a track record of his teams making grand finals within the next 1-2 seasons following his coaching tenure so I reckon he's the coach we need right now for the rebuild that we've been waiting since 2012 to happen.

Fitzy obviously wanted a club that has the financial resources to recruit big players like the roosters do, so I'd love to see that entitlement backfire on him.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
I think top 6 finish is a pass mark for Fitzy. The big test for him though will be whether he can build them in to a consistent top 4 side year in year out and get them to push for a premiership in the next 2-3 seasons, that part remains to be seen for now. Noticed Talakai holding his leg at the end too, so hopefully he'll be out for 6-10 weeks and they'll drop a few more winnable games so I can go back to my death riding 😂

Hook has a track record of his teams making grand finals within the next 1-2 seasons following his coaching tenure so I reckon he's the coach we need right now for the rebuild that we've been waiting since 2012 to happen.

Fitzy obviously wanted a club that has the financial resources to recruit big players like the roosters do, so I'd love to see that entitlement backfire on him.
So you expect Fitzy, a rookie in his first year, to take a team that missed the finals last year to top 6, I get that.
What do you expect Hook to take the dragons to in his second year in charge? Top 4? Top 2?

I'm Hornby

Juniors
So you expect Fitzy, a rookie in his first year, to take a team that missed the finals last year to top 6, I get that.
What do you expect Hook to take the dragons to in his second year in charge? Top 4? Top 2?
I don't really see the point in comparing our results and the Sharks results and then concluding one coach is better than the other.
The reason being that every club is different in terms of skill, ability performance etc. The Sharks have made finals in six of the past seven seasons, how does that compare to us?

The reason Fitzy went for the Sharks like I mentioned was because he felt they had the financial resources and systems in place to maintain some success and win premierships in the future.

So surely from that you can see which coach has their work cut out for them out of the two?

We've got little success to speak of even in the way of finals appearances since 2010. We have struggled to recruit any big name players since I can remember and if most are to believed on here we have a board that don't seem to care.

Remember we made enquiries about Fitzy as did other clubs and he knocked us and others back waiting for his golden goose offer to come along, so lucky him I guess. In my view a good coach would embrace the challenge of an underwhelming club and try to improve/rebuild them and thrive upon it, the ordinary coach would wait around for the platter to get dished up to them.

That very fact that Fitzy as a rookie who had never coached a game up until this year thought he could pick and choose, pisses me off to no end and that's why I hope he fails and Hook succeeds.

Crush

Coach
I don't really see the point in comparing our results and the Sharks results and then concluding one coach is better than the other.
The reason being that every club is different in terms of skill, ability performance etc. The Sharks have made finals in six of the past seven seasons, how does that compare to us?

The reason Fitzy went for the Sharks like I mentioned was because he felt they had the financial resources and systems in place to maintain some success and win premierships in the future.

So surely from that you can see which coach has their work cut out for them out of the two?

We've got little success to speak of even in the way of finals appearances since 2010. We have struggled to recruit any big name players since I can remember and if most are to believed on here we have a board that don't seem to care.

Remember we made enquiries about Fitzy as did other clubs and he knocked us and others back waiting for his golden goose offer to come along, so lucky him I guess. In my view a good coach would embrace the challenge of an underwhelming club and try to improve/rebuild them and thrive upon it, the ordinary coach would wait around for the platter to get dished up to them.

That very fact that Fitzy as a rookie who had never coached a game up until this year thought he could pick and choose, pisses me off to no end and that's why I hope he fails and Hook succeeds.
You can hope all you want mate, won’t change the result, early days I know but he has the results on the board already, recruited well, he is winning games, deathriding wont help….

Dragon David

First Grade
Boo hoo, JWH feels victimized. Welcome to the world of the teams at the lower reaches of the table who get shafted week after week by the refs when playing sides like your own. At least your team gets the rub of the green more often than not.
Where are the tissues. JWH you deserve all you get and more. It is good that the refs are picking on you, you thug.

Dragon David

First Grade
The Dolphins are signing up a few and still more signatures to get before the start of 2023. Aitken will be a different player under Bennett - a better player is what I think. I have a feeling that some current Dragons might end up there - middle of the road type but that's all Bennett needs as he has his way of getting the best out of everyone as we know.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Is Fitzy really doing that well?

Mmm! A little premature to hail him as 'coach of the year' at this present time.

Who have the Sharks played so far:
Raiders (not top 8) lost twice
Beat US, Knights, WT, Warriors and Titans, none of which are in the 8 at present.
Beat the Eels (currently top 8 and an understrength Manly (notvtop 8 currently)
Lost to Storm and Broncos who are currently in the 8.

They are yet to play the Panthers, Cowboys, Roosters and Rabbits all of whom are ithe current top8.

Being cock-o-hoop over the Sharks atm is just as i said premature.

Revisit fir sure once they play All teams currently in the 8.

Lets see how they go against yhe Roosters this round.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Had a multi on last night, Broncos line -6.5 and more than 42 points to be scored in the game.
Even at Titans 24-4 in the 50th minute I was confident. 35-24 full time.
How did we lose to the Titans? Had to beat that mob.
Because we don't have a game manager. Someone who can set up a field goal with a full set in the opponent's half. Remember the 2018 semi against Souths. It's 12 all, in Extra Time, we have the ball just in our half and on the 6th tackle Hunt goes the blind side instead on kicking to the corner. We drop the ball, Souths (who had a game manager) get up our end and Reynolds kicks his 3rd field goal for the night.

Crush

Coach
if you want to see an open and honest press conference, check out the titans one vs the broncos, there is a coach and players taking accountability for the performance without the blame game or any other BS, good on them i reckon.
Tino seems like a player you’d like to have in your team, what a legend, defending his coach, taking accountability. Excellent interview

justadragon

Bench
Tino seems like a player you’d like to have in your team, what a legend, defending his coach, taking accountability. Excellent interview
100%, you would play for him and give it everything in every game, he also lead by example, his stats were excellent

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Is the honeymoon over for Fitzgibbon.
Copping it at home from the rorters
They stuffed up my tipping. Reminded me of us in some of those seasons under the former coach where we were world beaters from rounds 1-10 and then looked like some other team had run out there. Even Fox Commentary were mentioning the Sharks ball movement from earlier in the year had gone. Worrying signs for their fans that were hoping their fortunes had changed.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As I said before, nothing to get cock-o-hoop about Fitzy atm. I'm sure he'll make a very good coach, but so was muted about O'Brien and even Holbrook and I think they're very good coaches.

Latest posts