What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Hall of Fame 2024 + 14th Immortal

soc123_au

Staff member
Kenny shit on an immortal whenever they came up against each other at 6. Coote I was too young to really remember, but have heard enough to have no doubt he would be a worthy inductee. Sterlo was one of the best in a very good period for 7's. Any of the 3 wouldn't be out of place.

Smith and Slater will get their dues, but not yet imo. Langer is worth being in the conversation and I think ahead of Thurston who isn't at that level. I'd have Mortimer & Sticky ahead of Thurston TBH. Thurston on the same tier as Brandy, not that that is a bad thing at all.

Apey

Staff member
Thurston will 100% become an Immortal. Don't agree with it but he will. His popularity will get him over the line even though it shouldn't be a factor. I don't think it will be this year though.

soc123_au

Staff member
Thurston will 100% become an Immortal. Don't agree with it but he will. His popularity will get him over the line even though it shouldn't be a factor. I don't think it will be this year though.
I'd say you are right. If he does it kind of dilutes the prestige, a bit like the Dally M's with it turning into a more of a popularity contest than purely what was done on the footy field.

Billythekid

First Grade
I'd say you are right. If he does it kind of dilutes the prestige, a bit like the Dally M's with it turning into a more of a popularity contest than purely what was done on the footy field.
He was the best halfback of his generation, pretending he’s only in the conversation because he’s popular is bullshit. Personally I think there are older players who should go on the list first but Thurston belongs in the conversation and will likely get on there eventually.

I will say as well that I think things like popularity and impact on the game should be considered on some level. Thurston was not only one of the best players but left a huge legacy on the game, that to me sounds exactly like what an immortal should do.

soc123_au

Staff member
He was the best halfback of his generation, pretending he’s only in the conversation because he’s popular is bullshit. Personally I think there are older players who should go on the list first but Thurston belongs in the conversation and will likely get on there eventually.

I will say as well that I think things like popularity and impact on the game should be considered on some level. Thurston was not only one of the best players but left a huge legacy on the game, that to me sounds exactly like what an immortal should do.
His generation was pretty dire in terms of competition though. If it wasn't for Origin he would be Brett Kimmorley.

Bazal

Post Whore
His generation was pretty dire in terms of competition though. If it wasn't for Origin he would be Brett Kimmorley.

I mean this is exactly the hyperbolic stuff that I don't get. He shits in Kimmorleys throat....and is also much better than him.

If he could tackle he'd be remembered as a step behind Joey. His attack was at a similar level, although a genuine step behind especially in terms of consistency.

Anyway he's still 50/50 for me, I wouldn't have a strong opinion for or against. But the stuff about him being well below is just not true

Billythekid

First Grade
Sorry but that’s an idiotic take. Also when it comes to historical awards like this you can only really compare players to their contemporaries. It’d be like complaining that older players only had to compete against amateurs playing part time at a far lower level than anything Thurston faced.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If Johns is the high mark of Half-backs then you measure other immortal candidates next to him.

I put Thurston, Sterling and Langer in the next tier.

Smith's influence and sustained excellence puts him in the immortal status.

You don't have to be a nice guy to make it, often the reason people are successful is because they're merkins.

soc123_au

Staff member
I mean this is exactly the hyperbolic stuff that I don't get. He shits in Kimmorleys throat....and is also much better than him.

If he could tackle he'd be remembered as a step behind Joey. His attack was at a similar level, although a genuine step behind especially in terms of consistency.

Anyway he's still 50/50 for me, I wouldn't have a strong opinion for or against. But the stuff about him being well below is just not true
His defense is the main issue. He was a great player and I was a fan, when he was on he could do some amazing stuff, but there is a heap of great players that aren't on the immortal tier. It's just my opinion, I don't see being "below" as a knock either.

Take Brandy for example, probably my favorite ever player and an absolute freak, cruelled a bit by injury and Bens death, but no way an Immortal. Hall of fame level imo, but not a lock for it.

soc123_au

Staff member
Sorry but that’s an idiotic take. Also when it comes to historical awards like this you can only really compare players to their contemporaries. It’d be like complaining that older players only had to compete against amateurs playing part time at a far lower level than anything Thurston faced.
Fair point. It's just an opinion. If he had gotten the Cows over the line a few more times my opinion would probably change, but he didn't & some of those sides were pretty bloody good.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Fair point. It's just an opinion. If he had gotten the Cows over the line a few more times my opinion would probably change, but he didn't & some of those sides were pretty bloody good.
He got them over the line zero times. He was the worst player on the field in the 2015 GF. It's disgusting they gave him the CC Medal

mongoose

Coach
That's rubbish, He had Cronk, Orford, Kimmorley, DCE, Reynolds, Prince, Pearce, johnson... he was miles better than all of them except Cronk.
Cronk had Smith and Slater with him for most of his club career though.. JT had some good teammates too but not at the same level.

_Johnsy

Referee
I do not get how Langer is in the conversation, he isn't even close to the best 1/2 QLD has produced.

Thurston, Cronk then DCE/Langer (can't split them).

Great player, yes. Immortal, No.

Coote is the nest Immortal.

Fangs

Coach
Maloney>Cronk>Thurston

And I am being deadly serious. If I’m a team chasing a Premiership, I’m taking Jimmy Maloney over Thurston every single time.

I do rate his peak highly. Easily the worst defender of the 3 though.

If he wasn't broken in 2018 he takes Penrith deeper instead of just the semis.

mongoose

Coach
Maloney>Cronk>Thurston

And I am being deadly serious. If I’m a team chasing a Premiership, I’m taking Jimmy Maloney over Thurston every single time.
The judges are going to consider things like Rep career and individual awards and Maloney doesn't stack up in that department.