What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL has eyes on Adelaide

Loudstrat

Coach
Adelaide just won't work - no interest.

However - hypothetically, if a Sydney team DID relocate somewhere - they could still draw on local support at some away matches. It it's the Sharks, then that means games at Kogarah, WIN, ANZ, SFS, Leichhardt, maybe Parra, Brookie and Campbelltown.

Back in reality - nowhere exists that could make that a reality - except possibly Wellington.

And I think for Wellington to work - half the home games need to be in Christchurch.

Flapper

First Grade

I beg to differ. I've spent a lot of time in Adelaide over the last 5 years and I have picked up on a lot of casual league interest, and a permanent team will be able to capitalise on that.

jim_57

Staff member
I know how much we all love expansion threads so I'm not going to bring in a new one, but does anyone know what this is all about:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=105678128000&ref=ts

South NZ Lions?

Since you showed that I'm really suprised since you posted that Facebook hasn't played a bigger part behind the WA and Central Coast Bids. It's a good way of getting gauges of support from modern audience. I check ed for WA Reds and the most I could find was a group with 280 fans.

I got an Invite to join the fan group for CQ's NRL bid and have noticed Rugby League Italia has even got about 7,000 fans.

If they were to get an official fan group up it's not hard to get a good number of core of members to start and just pretty much invite people from Perth and ask members to invite their Friends. Than any news updates could be posted right in plain view of however many fans the group has. Wouldn't be too hard to get 5000+ for any of the bid teams that's being pessimistic, then when you have news to give it's there for them to read.

Jankuloski

Juniors
Apparently something changed. It's just facebook, so I'm trying to see is there any merit to the rumour...

The guy that runs the group says Orcas are done and that there is a new group of people organizing a bid, hence the name change and, it seems, a logo...

Finding info on NZ bids on the web was always tricky..

Perth Red

Post Whore

That's RL's problem summed up in a nutshell. People like you expect that with zero TV coverage, zero media coverage, a SARL that struggles with virtually no funding, a NRL bone thrown at the city every few years and a history of putting in a team then ripping it out within a couple of seasons, people will somehow magically decide they like RL and follow the NRL.

Here's an idea, how about the ARL/NRL getting off their ar5es and creating some interest? Do you really believe our game is so poor that no one would start following it unless they were born into a RL family?:roll:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Since you showed that I'm really suprised since you posted that Facebook hasn't played a bigger part behind the WA and Central Coast Bids. It's a good way of getting gauges of support from modern audience. I check ed for WA Reds and the most I could find was a group with 280 fans.

I got an Invite to join the fan group for CQ's NRL bid and have noticed Rugby League Italia has even got about 7,000 fans.

If they were to get an official fan group up it's not hard to get a good number of core of members to start and just pretty much invite people from Perth and ask members to invite their Friends. Than any news updates could be posted right in plain view of however many fans the group has. Wouldn't be too hard to get 5000+ for any of the bid teams that's being pessimistic, then when you have news to give it's there for them to read.

Here's the WA Reds Facebook site. Just over 500 members which isn't huge but one thing that is letting our bid down is the lack of fan engagement and marketing at the moment from the WA Reds bid team. We have plans for a supporters group and are in the early stages of forming one.

Please join our facebook page!
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=2361831622#!/group.php?gid=6833492366

dimitri

First Grade
Here's the WA Reds Facebook site. Just over 500 members which isn't huge but one thing that is letting our bid down is the lack of fan engagement and marketing at the moment from the WA Reds bid team. We have plans for a supporters group and are in the early stages of forming one.

Please join our facebook page!
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=2361831622#!/group.php?gid=6833492366

I would suggest big things are just around the corner

The new look website looks great.

Perth Red

Post Whore
New Reds website looks great, shame it is old old news. they are advertising memberships for 2009 ffs! Who launches a brand new website with old information on it??

Talanexor

Juniors
That's RL's problem summed up in a nutshell. People like you expect that with zero TV coverage, zero media coverage, a SARL that struggles with virtually no funding, a NRL bone thrown at the city every few years and a history of putting in a team then ripping it out within a couple of seasons, people will somehow magically decide they like RL and follow the NRL.

Here's an idea, how about the ARL/NRL getting off their ar5es and creating some interest? Do you really believe our game is so poor that no one would start following it unless they were born into a RL family?:roll:

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Spot on.

There was no interest in rugby league in Papua New Guinea until the sport was introduced by Australian soliders during the second world war. Now it's their national sport.

Give them a team to support, give them live coverage of home matches and the odd test/state of origin match and a club in adelaide will thrive.

I'd also consider giving a 5 year salary cap boost for expansion clubs, to entice decent players to relocate.

jim_57

Staff member
The CC.Bears have 2 facebook pages with 15, 000+ members.

That's well done, Perth could get 10,000 plus if somebody was proactive enough to set up an official bid fan page. Wouldn't that hard to do IMO, just put some info up on the page, pictures etc. to make it look good. Make sure to keep updates regularily and keep the ball rolling for more and more fans.

It's a small and easy thing that promotes alot of awarness amongst fans.

jim_57

Staff member
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Central-Coast-Bears/72707929443?v=app_7146470109&ref=search

Link to the Bears facebook page, not sure if this is an official one run by the bid team but if not that is one dedicated fan. It has 15,800 fans getting updates regularily.

WA has nothing like that which is an area they really need to address. There is a group (slightly different) and I believe that is one set up by fans. An official fan page on facebook and other social networking sights would be one of the first things I'd be looking at if I was in charge of media and Promotions for an NRL bid.

adamkungl

Immortal
Adelaide is seeming like an increasingly good option for Sharks methinks.
Sell their land including Leagues club (from what i can gather from the Sharks forum no one would go to the place if it wasn't for the football side), invest the cash or use it as startup funds, lobby the NRL for a relocation bonus. Maybe play the 2 big rivalry games (saints and manly) in Sydney?

Loudstrat

Coach
I beg to differ. I've spent a lot of time in Adelaide over the last 5 years and I have picked up on a lot of casual league interest, and a permanent team will be able to capitalise on that.
A permanent team would have to CONVERT that into solid interest - and 10k to a one off once per year just doesn't suggest there is interest. 17k - or what Perth recently got in their coldest night for decades and withy a major road accident preventing many getting there - is what is needed at the very lest

Actually that's your argument. I reckon Adelaide is a lost cause,and only 2 things MAY change that. 1) regular matches -eg about 4 per year - by well known teams (not just the Sharks v Cowpats), combined with 2) Favourable media coverage (as if)

Here we go again - plonk a side anywhere and suddenly they will thrive - except NSW.

Do you really believe a 10k crowd for a reasonably advertised event will instantly become a 17k average puller with a home side? If that was the case the Rams would still be here ffs!!!!!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
no, but then I'm not suggesting an Adelaide team next season! You seem to suggest in your previous post Adelaide wasn't worth considering, ever. Reality is if the NRL/ARL actually did some work and got the game in front of people in SA then in 3, 5, 10, who knows how many, years time it could be ripe for a NRL expansion team. The fact 10k showed up despite total neglect of the city by RL is a great plus imo and a strong foundation on which to start building.

Likewise with Perth, if the NRL had done some work 5 years ago we could be massive by the time 2013 comes around, instead the WARL have had to fight tooth and nail to re establish the game here with very little support and help , from the NRL at least. It's the big difference between us and AFL, they work and invest to expand, we sit back and expect it to happen.

wain

Juniors
no, but then I'm not suggesting an Adelaide team next season! You seem to suggest in your previous post Adelaide wasn't worth considering, ever. Reality is if the NRL/ARL actually did some work and got the game in front of people in SA then in 3, 5, 10, who knows how many, years time it could be ripe for a NRL expansion team. The fact 10k showed up despite total neglect of the city by RL is a great plus imo and a strong foundation on which to start building.

Likewise with Perth, if the NRL had done some work 5 years ago we could be massive by the time 2013 comes around, instead the WARL have had to fight tooth and nail to re establish the game here with very little support and help , from the NRL at least. It's the big difference between us and AFL, they work and invest to expand, we sit back and expect it to happen.

Spot on, I live in Adelaide and am unbiased enough to say we are still a fair way off, but why not try?