What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL in trouble, Football has arrived

adamkungl

Immortal
The very limp nature of soccer will always ensure this.

My young son plays soccer despite having no interest whatsoever in watching the game.

RL is a hardcore contact sport.

No son of mine will play soccer....unless he really wants to :sarcasm:

He has officially lost it.... has he ever watch
ed St George play at Jubilee oval? Or the Bulldogs? He is mad

Or Canberra...or the roosters...or Parra...or souffs...or any side really

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I grew up with soccer until 1988 when the light of RL shone! Soccer is an inflatable sport with little substance.

Same here except the light shone around 2006 (I didn't know it existed before then) I used to be football mad and followed the EPL religiously (Chelsea fan). Frankly i can't watch the EPL now its boring, predictable and more about money than anything else.

Knightmare

Coach
With 4 football codes competing for attention, every sports fan gets on the defensive in different (and usually predictable) ways.

Soccer fans, due to the sheer indifference of everyone else towards the sport, take the pathetic attitude of "we're better because it's the WORLD game...AFL and rugby are pissant tiny sports..."

Going by that logic, McDonald's is way better to go for dinner than that 5 star Italian place because it's the WORLD's restaurant, and Coca Cola is better than that 12 year old bottle of Grange in your grandfathers' cellar because it is the WORLD drink.

From someone who follows Liverpool and the Mariners in the round ball game, the arrogance and elitism of some soccer (football) fans is up there with club Rugby fans...

Lambretta

First Grade
Same here except the light shone around 2006 (I didn't know it existed before then) I used to be football mad and followed the EPL religiously (Chelsea fan). Frankly i can't watch the EPL now its boring, predictable and more about money than anything else.

I'm a West Ham supporter. There's nothing more predictable than yet another f**king relegation battle.

What sort of sport allows money to be the key driver? It's madness.

The Premier League has destroyed soccer in the UK. Its no longer the working mans game but just another sport for the corporate suits and middle classes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Premier League has destroyed soccer in the UK. Its no longer the working mans game but just another sport for the corporate suits and middle classes.

yeh and the people are turning away in their droves! Yes there is alot of money in it, but that's because it is massively popular and makes shed loads of money. Good analagy, eys soccer is the McDonalds of the sports world.

juro

Bench
...of drums and horns to impact the game...

Is he talking about those wonderful horns from the soccer world cup, the vuvuzelas or whatever they were called. Yeah, everyone loved them! :roll:

Does Foster actually believe this tripe or is he just another Rothfield who will write anything stupid to get a reaction??

Doug2234

First Grade
The FFA had the balls to cut a team that was holding back the A-League.

If only the NRL had the balls..

Raiderdave

First Grade
The FFA had the balls to cut a team that was holding back the A-League.

If only the NRL had the balls..

FFA " owned " the fury .. so it was an easy thing to do
the NRL don't own any of its clubs

We went down that path .. of cutting teams that didn't want or need to go ( Souths being the prime example) .... & the game was never at a lower ebb .. with court cases .. anti NRL rallies etc
& Gallop has since quite rightly said .. they will NEVER .. forcibly remove a club ever again

If clubs go they will go as a result of a financial inability to continue
to date ... as shakely as some may be .. all clubs can continue.. so they will.

Raiderdave

First Grade
big clubs in small towns......

small sports in small towns more like it

the Cowboys are proof that a town of 180K is quite capable of having a team
the cowboys average would make them the most popular side in the A league at 15K a game

the fact the A league couldn't find the backing to start up a 2nd Sydney side in that cities west ( which has the largest number of players of soccer in the country & a catchment of 2 million people ) is testimony to how weak the A Leagues brand is

AuDragon

Juniors

We went down that path .. of cutting teams that didn't want or need to go ( Souths being the prime example) .... & the game was never at a lower ebb .. with court cases .. anti NRL rallies etc
& Gallop has since quite rightly said .. they will NEVER .. forcibly remove a club ever again

If clubs go they will go as a result of a financial inability to continue
to date ... as shakely as some may be .. all clubs can continue.. so they will.
I agree with this stance, as long as the NRL doesn't buckle to the weakest link and brings down other clubs to artificially maintain those who would otherwise not survive!

As for the main sport codes, I'd rather have soccer as the 2nd sport (at least there is skill involved and it's where my roots are), than the extraordinarily boring rah rah or 22 fairies chasing after a fumbling ball... :roll:

Last edited:

Green Machine

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/qatars-cash-inspires-super-honesty-20110218-1azis.html
FOLLOW THE DOSH

And how odd that I should mention the subject of 2022 World Cup bid, and money. For a fortnight ago, it was revealed that there is still $11 million unaccounted for, of the $45m Australian taxpayers put towards our failed soccer World Cup bid. We know at least some of the $45m went to Australia's World Cup bid consultant Peter Hargitay, who was last referred to in this space as "an arrogant, presumptuous dickhead" for the manner in which he dealt with quite legitimate inquiries as to how much he was paid. But here's the interesting part. Shortly after writing that relatively mild rebuke, I was contacted by Andrew Jennings, the famed British author of, among other books, FOUL! The Secret World of FIFA: Bribes, Vote-Rigging and Ticket Scandals, 2006. He pointed me to info on his website - www.transparencyinsport.org - concerning the background of this man, whom Football Federation Australia contracted and to whom the federal government paid your and my taxpayer dollars. Hold your nose, and step into the next item if you will.

PETE THE INGRATE

Jennings makes a very damaging case against Hargitay, giving details on how, among other things, he:
❏ He worked as a media minder for the infamous and shameful Union Carbide chemical company, whose 1984 factory meltdown in Bhopal, India, killed thousands of people;
❏ Worked for America's most famous tax-fraud felon, Marc Rich, who first made his name busting sanctions during South Africa's apartheid regime;
❏ Was arrested in 1995, accused of cocaine trafficking by Jamaican police, before being acquitted;
❏ Was arrested in 1997 by Interpol in Miami, following an extradition order being sought by Hungarian officials, and subsequently charged with conspiracy to import 18 kilograms of cocaine to the United States. He served seven months in prison, after being judged as a flight risk, before again being acquitted, and;
In the 21st century, Hargitay positioned himself as a Mr Fix-It with the high-world politics of FIFA, but was not successful. Although hired by the England World Cup bid team for 2018, Jennings recounts how Hargitay "got the bum's rush from England's Bid team''.
There's more, much more, which you can read on Jennings's website, but with a background like that - and surely our people would have researched him before handing our money over - it is staggering that FFA chief executive Ben Buckley could say of Hargitay: "We are very fortunate to have him."
One wonders how we would have gone if we had been unfortunate. I repeat: How were Australian hopes and Australian taxpayer dollars pinned on such a man? There urgently needs to be an inquiry into the whole debacle.

duck_dodgers

Juniors

who owns the melbourne storm ... and how long would the storm survive if they stopped supporting them ?

(hint) less time than it took you to read this .

Latest posts