What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL in trouble, Football has arrived

wittyfan

Referee
The thing for soccer is how it can build from all the interest the World Cup has generated, particularly at a junior level.

Mal Meninga

Bench
I love both sports.
IMO they're is enough support for both for the two codes to continue succeeding post WC.

Their is no truly dominant sport in Australia, and probably will never be until the league here actually has players worth talking about.

Mal Meninga

Bench
wittyfan said:
The thing for soccer is how it can build from all the interest the World Cup has generated, particularly at a junior level.
That's one thing that FFA have on their side.
The interest generated is enormaus, and they have some top adminstration to push the game furthur.

Leagueguy

Juniors
No that was a typo I mean AFL is big in Victoria. About swimming I was trying to make the point that people watch it because they like seeing Australia win, not because they appreciate the sport itself. I really hope Australia do well in the world cup, but I don't like the game of soccer any more than I did before the World Cup. I can watch QLD cup and enjoy it because I like Rugby League. However I can't watch the A-League, only the World Cup because its an event. I think a lot of Australians are like that.

dubby

Bench
hutch said:
you idiot! of course we are all proud our the socceroos, they are doing our nation proud. we support them as rugby league fans, and also as sporting fans. the code may take off in australia, but it will never be at rugby leagues expense. a lot of people do enjoy more than one sport.

Well said..:clap:

domdom

Juniors
Lego_Man said:
The NRL has been f**ked since super league and wont be able to truly shine until News Limited gets out of the game...which as i recall is in about 2015?

The AFL does EVERYTHING better...sponsorship, publicity, advertising, grassroots development, expansion...and yet they have a grossly inferior product. The NRL needs to be far more aggressive.

totally agree. the NRL administration is still inept. they couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery and they are weak as piss. too used to beding over to pick up the soap for news ltd and nine.

afl, union and football/soccer are run heaps better than league. it needs to be better coordinated internationally as well. the international system we have at the moment is a complete joke.

Thomas

First Grade
I've been watching the World Cup and loving it....getting up early or staying up late to watch good matches. Can't wait for the next round of matches.

I can tell you one thing though...I will not watch more than 1 minute of the next A-League season.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
hutch said:
you idiot! of course we are all proud our the socceroos, they are doing our nation proud. we support them as rugby league fans, and also as sporting fans. the code may take off in australia, but it will never be at rugby leagues expense. a lot of people do enjoy more than one sport.

What? You can't like more than one sport!

Leagueguy

Juniors
I've been watching the World Cup and loving it....getting up early or staying up late to watch good matches. Can't wait for the next round of matches.

I can tell you one thing though...I will not watch more than 1 minute of the next A-League season.

That pretty well sums it up. I have nothing against soccer, if it gets more support here great, I just think the reality is it won't grow here quickly.

Danish

Referee
Moggles said:
Must be something about world Cups!!! Didn't union take over as the premier sport after their world cup here?

I believe RU just liked to SAY it did....

although all figures said otherwise.

buster bunny

Juniors
This discussion sounds so much like 2003 when Union would take over Australia and become the premier sport in Australia. I think its great that the Socceroos are going well but having huge support for a world cup is different to having support week in week out for club competition. While I think soccer (it will never be accepted as football in Australia) will improve from their performance in the world cup, once it is over League and AFL will continue to dominate sports coverage in winter.

Lets just hope the sport doesnt go backwards like Union did after 2003!

sooperdooper

First Grade
t-ba said:
15,500 for the NRL so Far...10,800 for the A League...But seriously, I love the amount of people with an agenda against RL who feel the need to lie about our attendances on the main board lately.

It should also be added that that crowd average represents the second highest in the games history...
2nd in history yet a downfall on last year!
which you can blame on the sport as a whole

Parraren

Bench
Both codes (football & league) can comfortably survive side by side. I love both sports but I guess with league we get to watch the world best competition week in week out whereas with football (soccer) the A-League is a very long way from being of world class quality. The national team will continue to draw big support if they continue to perfrom at the highest level.

I see the Union boys being more concerned than League or AFL. The World Cup has in particular shown what a farce the Yawnion "World Cup" is despite the fact that they like to carry on their high horse about the "international" game and how it is so strong. Yawnion and the Wallabies will never generate the sort of truely unbiased national support the Socceroos have and will continue to have after this tournament.

Imagine if Australia hosted the World Cup...

sooperdooper

First Grade
hutch said:
good call

I love my League and Soccer has always been my second choice, just not the local stuff. Not since the 1970's anyway.

This World Cup has been a ride and a half so far.

Here's to the lads keeping it going for another week or two. :b:

Paullyboy

Coach
Anyone who thinks soccer isnt a threat to league either doesnt understand the situation very well - or is a person who would be just as happy to watch soccer as they would league (which will never make sense to me, but hey, each to their own).

The a-league is played in summer now, correct, but it wont be in about 4years time. It will move to winter after the next world cup to cash in on its support. You guys are ridiculously niave.

And thats not even the biggest issue, the biggest issue is that kids will grow up wanting to be Kewell's and Viduka's now and not Joey Johns or Matty Bowen. Juniors are the lifeblood - and something like this can easily swing thousands of kids for life.

The sooner the socceroo's are out, the happier I will be and the better off rugby league will be.

F*ck soccer.

buster bunny

Juniors
Lets face it we Australians would support anything if we have a chance to win against the world. Thats why Australians will watch most of the events in the Olympics even if as supporters we have no idea what is going on. Australians simply love sport!

sharkadelic

Juniors
tigger said:
I have never seen so many people with flags, T-shirts, jumpers, posters etc etc etc. The A league will now dominate the NRL in Sydney & the Central Coast, kill off the Storm. THE ARU have a lot to worry about aswell.

As Frank Skinner sang "Footballs coming home, its coming home, its coming home, its coming, footballs coming home"

Do you get student discount on the bandwagon:roll: ?

The reason you have never seen so many posters, flags etc is because Australia never makes it into the world and if I remember has never kicked a goal in the world cup. Of course that is going to create interest.

To the long term fans. Good for you. You may win some new converts and get some funding etc. But I still wouldn't walk across the road to watch the game and will always remain that way. League for life. Soccer and Union are merely cures for insomnia as far as I am concerned.

sooperdooper

First Grade
buster bunny said:
Lets face it we Australians would support anything if we have a chance to win against the world. Thats why Australians will watch most of the events in the Olympics even if as supporters we have no idea what is going on. Australians simply love sport!

lets put it this way, have u seen how many AUSSIES are in GERMANY
i would bet my life league wouldnt get that following ever!

sooperdooper

First Grade
whoever thinks RL can even be compared to the AFL are kidding themselves they are 100 metres ahead of us in the race of 200 m

Latest posts