What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL in trouble, Football has arrived

Paullyboy

Coach
redVgirl said:
its not some gigantic battle for survival.

Pop on down to a junior sporting club (any sport) and see if they agree with you.

As for Raiders Ultra, I cant bring myself to bag a Raiders fan on here so Ill just leave that alone.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Mate, I ususally respect your opinions as a fellow Raiders fan, but that is complete rubbish. It is possible for people to appreciate more than one sport, and to question someones passion for a particular sport for liking another is obscene. I thought I was fairly restrained compared to what some people in the Raiders forum would write if they saw that. I see you have a basketball logo in your signature as well...

buster bunny

Juniors
As was mentioned ealier the only real threat from this world cup is that soccer will have a huge interest in kids wanting to play the game. This will help the sport in the future but it will not necessarily make soccer the main sport overnight. It simply means that the NRL and ARL will have to ensure they continue to support junior league in Australia. I feel the real battle will occur at grassroots and the effects of this battle will not be felt in the immediate future but further down the track.

It will therefore be up to the soccer organisations to build upon the success of the world cup not just assume everything will change overnight like the ARU did a few years ago.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Soccer already is the highest participation junior sport, miles in front of league. The problem is transforming high numbers in u11-12-13-14s, into players who will continue to play and develop into possible elite players.

redVgirl

Juniors
i can understand putting your kids into playing soccer...alot of parents dont wanna watch their 5 yr olds getting tackled.

buster bunny

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
Soccer already is the highest participation junior sport, miles in front of league. The problem is transforming high numbers in u11-12-13-14s, into players who will continue to play and develop into possible elite players.

That is exactly why the grassroots level is important. Rugby League has been very successful in utilising its junior ranks to create professional players. The increase in interest will only be maximised if soccer organisations invest more money into junior development.

redVgirl

Juniors
rugby league also has excellent foundations and a well established competition in boys highschools, thats something soccer doesnt have.

Boing Boing

Juniors
redVgirl said:
rugby league also has excellent foundations and a well established competition in boys highschools, thats something soccer doesnt have.

No, Soccer just has 3 times as many Junior clubs across the country.

buster bunny

Juniors
Boing Boing said:
No, Soccer just has 3 times as many Junior clubs across the country.

I think this was more in reference to the Arrive Alive cup which has successfully developed league players and promoted the sport in schools and on TV for many years.

Paullyboy

Coach
Raider Ultra said:
Mate, I ususally respect your opinions as a fellow Raiders fan, but that is complete rubbish. It is possible for people to appreciate more than one sport, and to question someones passion for a particular sport for liking another is obscene. I thought I was fairly restrained compared to what some people in the Raiders forum would write if they saw that. I see you have a basketball logo in your signature as well...

I hate having that basketball logo in my signature, its from almost 3 years ago now, I dont support the Bullets after what they did, but when I try to change my signature it tells me I cant for some reason so I just stick with it.

I dont have a problem with people liking more than one sport, but when I come to this forum I expect it to be about rugby league - not soccer. If I was at a neutral 'general sports' forum I wouldnt care in the slightest - but seeing the people I always assumed as being genuine rugby league people completel swept up in this soccer business just makes me wonder how strong rugby league's foothold is.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Soccer did have a National Youth League, which was scrapped for some incomprehensible reason 2 years ago. It also has scholarship programs at the AIS and every state instute.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Fiar enough, I can aussre you I am a passionate league man. But I, and many other have been waiting our whole lives for the Socceroos to finally perform like this. I don't see why league has to fell threatened, league already has a well established foothold in NSW and Qld. I don't buy into this 'NRL in trouble' thing, union has by far the most to lose.

buster bunny

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
Soccer did have a National Youth League, which was scrapped for some incomprehensible reason 2 years ago. It also has scholarship programs at the AIS and every state instute.

This is all great but the fact the youth league was scrapped shows how mistakes have been made on soccers behalf that will need to corrected if it is going to take over australia like some people want to believe.

redVgirl

Juniors
buster bunny said:
I think this was more in reference to the Arrive Alive cup which has successfully developed league players and promoted the sport in schools and on TV for many years.

thankyou buster thats what i meant :)

Raider Ultra

Bench
The reason behind its scrapping was it was the FFA's first year and they did not believe they could afford to shoulder the expenses of it. When the FFA was formed nearly every resource was poured into the A-League and World Cup qualification. That will change in the next couple of years and the Youth League will return.

buster bunny

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
The reason behind its scrapping was it was the FFA's first year and they did not believe they could afford to shoulder the expenses of it. When the FFA was formed nearly every resource was poured into the A-League and World Cup qualification. That will change in the next couple of years and the Youth League will return.

For soccer's sake lets hope so. Frankly once this world cup is over I will be more interested in what the NRL and ARL do. I think that will be the case with most people. Im thoroughly enjoying this world cup with Australia going well but I cant see myself paying too much interest to the sport once its over. The only games Ive really watched in their entirety have been the Australian games.

redVgirl

Juniors
why are so many of you being so alarmist anyway? if our game can make it through the super league debacle, we can make it through this.

Latest posts