What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL investigating international broadcast deals as competition continues

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Very smart move by the NRL. It shows why PV is such a good operator

It should be applauded by everyone who loves the game

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The NRL should allow ESPN to show the games for free. With zero content for the foreseeable future they may jump at the chance.
It would be interesting to see what the reaction and viewing figures would be to see if there is any potential to spread the game to North America.

The problem is that they have already sold these rights to Fox. So the big issue is getting NewsLtd agreement. I dont expect the ARLC to see a single dollar out of this, if ESPN pays anything, it will be to FOX.

The value the ARLC could get out of this is spreading some RL interest and maybe setting themselves up for a digital rights bidding war in 2023.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How can you try and sell something when you don’t know if it will be taking place in a week or two?

Cactus

Juniors
How can you try and sell something when you don’t know if it will be taking place in a week or two?

To be fair it is exactly what is needed right now. Its opening up discussions to potential negotiations.It isnt necessarily about selling stuff.

Testing the waters and creating contacts with discussions that might benefit both parties.

I dont like the way Vlandy handled the press conference the other day (especially once I saw the more professional AFL press conference) however.......this initiative could be a first step in saving the day or even advancing us past the reaches of our sporting opposition in this country.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
To be fair it is exactly what is needed right now. Its opening up discussions to potential negotiations.It isnt necessarily about selling stuff.

Testing the waters and creating contacts with discussions that might benefit both parties.

I dont like the way Vlandy handled the press conference the other day (especially once I saw the more professional AFL press conference) however.......this initiative could be a first step in saving the day or even advancing us past the reaches of our sporting opposition in this country.

Yes it’s the glasses half full approach rather than virtue signalling and hand whinging . It’s front foot leadership

Perth Tiger

Bench
Any deal would have to stipulate that the American commentators or talk shows have to state that it is not Rugby Union otherwise it will just end up be used by Union to promote MLR and their game

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Any deal would have to stipulate that the American commentators or talk shows have to state that it is not Rugby Union otherwise it will just end up be used by Union to promote MLR and their game

Its almost as if calling a sport Rugby Competition will make people confuse us with the other sport called Rugby Competition...

Seriously, the only way RL gets branding value out of this is if the exclusively call it NRL.

Its moments like this when our ridiculous branding really damages our chances for growth.

taipan

Referee
Do the sounds of running water. A lovely meandering flowing creek through a forest.

Then pan a camera over to a squating doll in a Qld jersey taking a leak onto a seat.

They'll piss themselves laughing.
Then they'll hear that famous shout QUEENSLANDER. to show whose boss.

mistertaylor

Juniors
Virtual crowds is an interesting idea. I'm sure with CGI being as it these days t woudnt be to hard. Go on NRL give it a go for a laugh. If it works you could stop worrying about crowds all together, save money on stadiums and play NRL 7 nights a week!
Live footy every night of the week? Yes please!

The problem is that they have already sold these rights to Fox. So the big issue is getting NewsLtd agreement. I dont expect the ARLC to see a single dollar out of this, if ESPN pays anything, it will be to FOX.

The value the ARLC could get out of this is spreading some RL interest and maybe setting themselves up for a digital rights bidding war in 2023.

Fox dont own the global rights. Only Australian tv.

Wizardman

First Grade
I've watched two sporting events behind closed stadiums so far. The nbl final was a bit weird to watch to be honest. But the few that were there did make some noise. You could see empty seats though that did dull the spectacle a bit.
The second event was a UFC fight night. The way they put that broadcast together was quite impressive. I didn't miss the crowd at all. The commentators and closed up shots on the octagon made you not miss the crowd and did have some atmosphere. I thought the UFC did a sensational job with very short notice.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Fox dont own the global rights. Only Australian tv.

The NRL recently sold its international rights to Fox Sports with prospective broadcast arrangements funnelling through to the Fox UK and Fox US networks, as well as under the "Watch NRL" digital banner.

The NRL knows that any potential deal with ESPN would require permission from Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany, such is the international rights deal in place.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Just call it League

Major League Rugby?

Doesnt exactly fix the problem. Viewers will still have no idea and no way of following up (seriously, type "League" into google and see how long it takes to find ANYTHING associated with RL)

Nah, an acronym is the only thing that will ever solve RLs non-heartland branding problem. For this ESPN thing, NRL is obvious, but that doesnt solve the problem promoting the junior game.

Latest posts