What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL marketing rejects Simply the Best campaign and music altogether

eozsmiles

Bench
Fox have just released this ad...

[youtube]oi6y48YoGAo[/youtube]

Thoughts on the ad? Great, good, bad or indifferent?

It's a clever remake of the 'Simply the Best' ads of the 1990s that featured Tina Turner, and re-worded with 'Simply Obsessed'. The re-written vocals are performed by Mahalia Barnes, daughter of Jimmy Barnes. Matthew Johns, Nathan Hindmarsh and Peter Sterling also feature in the ad.

And onto the question of Fox. Is it worth getting?

There often seems to be a question mark that hangs over Fox, particularly during the offseason. Some people will ditch it altogether, while others don't know how they can survive without it. Come the start of the NRL season and loads of people seem to sign up or at least think about it. The only issue is that you generally end up with a package with lots of non-League stuff thrown in.

But it does seem that the coverage is pretty good, what with five NRL games every week.

So to the Fox viewers: What is your typical viewing on any given week? Is it worth getting Fox if you only want it for the football?

And if you're a FTA watcher, are you thinking of making the switch to Fox?

If you like watching footy then fox is pretty good. The other option is listening to the radio and moving action figures around a coffee table. As for the other shows, well it depends what you like. I like documentaries and sport and follow horse racing keenly, so obviously fox is pretty good. Footy and cricket are the only FTA shows I watch really, except for ABC and SBS which are on the fox service anyway.

If you only want footy then it is an individual thing and maybe a budget thing. $70 odd a month to just watch footy might not suit everyone but you can switch on the tv every night and see some sort of footy. Fox is great if you want to stay away from the pub or if you like inviting mates around to watch a game. And replays or IQ are great for shift workers or busy people.

Fox is strange in that some people think it's awesome and some think its crap. Sometimes there are 5 decent shows on and sometimes 100 channels of nothing.

And onto the question of Fox. Is it worth getting?

There often seems to be a question mark that hangs over Fox, particularly during the offseason. Some people will ditch it altogether, while others don't know how they can survive without it. Come the start of the NRL season and loads of people seem to sign up or at least think about it. The only issue is that you generally end up with a package with lots of non-League stuff thrown in.

But it does seem that the coverage is pretty good, what with five NRL games every week.

So to the Fox viewers: What is your typical viewing on any given week? Is it worth getting Fox if you only want it for the football?

And if you're a FTA watcher, are you thinking of making the switch to Fox?

I have Foxtel and have had it on at home since 1998. For a league lover during the season it gives me a lot more than FTA does with more games and more replays of games I want to watch than Channel 9. Also I find it's poanel shows are lught yearts (on the whole) ahead of their FTA counterparts. During the off season you get a good variety of replays. I rarely watch any FTA at all during a year - may be Friday night football and the latest season of Doctor Who - that's about it.

I pay for just about every channel so I have a variety of stuff to choose from. That said there are some days that there is nothing on that appeals to me, but hey it's not as if that was not the case when I only had free to air TV to watch. Also shows do get replayed, and you will see old shows. Guess what, happens on free to air TV too (e.g. M*A*S*H, The Simpsons). Just to me, sometimes a repeat of one of my favourite shows is a better watch than some crap FTA reality show. You also have to look at supply arrangements that exist between networks (inclduing tjose with Foxtel) and the restrictions they and certain regulatory schemes impose on pay TV (and on FTA where applicable).

Also as I follow other sports, I get to see things when I want them, not when FTA channel dein (if at all) to televise them. I also get moies to watch which are more recent than those on FTA.

At the end of the day, it depends on you. You won't know until you try it.

benntash

Juniors
Love my foxtel. It might not sound like much but having the IQHD box and being able to record what I want from wherever I want is bloody unreal. Also pausing and rewinding live tv is pretty cool to.
I usually turn sports off over the summer as I'm only interested in the NRL and Super 15. Same as Captain Apollo above I have nearly all the channels as well. I find between the family we end up recording whatever we want to watch and watch it when we want to. If you series link what you like you don't even need to think about it and the box will just record it for you when the next episode in the series is on. This way there's always something to watch when you have a chance to sit down and relax. But by the chance you and your partner want to watch a show at the same time you could also watch it online via there foxtel GO app on your iPad/tablet/PC/Smart Phone. Saves you having to pay for another box if you were looking at going that way. Helps if your with Telstra as well for Internet as it is unmetered usage for live streaming and downloads from foxtel.
Hope this helps

cleary89

Coach
If you like watching footy then fox is pretty good. The other option is listening to the radio and moving action figures around a coffee table. As for the other shows, well it depends what you like. I like documentaries and sport and follow horse racing keenly, so obviously fox is pretty good. Footy and cricket are the only FTA shows I watch really, except for ABC and SBS which are on the fox service anyway.

If you only want footy then it is an individual thing and maybe a budget thing. $70 odd a month to just watch footy might not suit everyone but you can switch on the tv every night and see some sort of footy. Fox is great if you want to stay away from the pub or if you like inviting mates around to watch a game. And replays or IQ are great for shift workers or busy people.

Fox is strange in that some people think it's awesome and some think its crap. Sometimes there are 5 decent shows on and sometimes 100 channels of nothing.

There's this new thing called the internet, dunno if you have heard of it.