What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL marketing rejects Simply the Best campaign and music altogether

lockyno1

Post Whore
Why don't they use the campaigns from the 80's, 90's, 00's, and post 00's for a month at a time to celebrate the Centenary.

Nuke

Staff member
Perhaps it's because I'm so far away, but I have a feeling they're going with a newly written-for-the-occasion moving, classical kinda tune. I see visions of slow-motion video from early days right through to the current day with this historic-sounding music being played.

I may be way off the mark, but I don't see there being any sing-along, crowd favourite songs. I don't see there being any sung or spoken words, but I do feel the music will be moving.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Bring back:

"Whether you're at the Cricket Ground, Lang Park or the Bush.
You've still gotta run, you've still gotta tackle, you've still gotta push....."

rest of words lost in time until ".....playing Rugby League Football, the Greatest Game of All".
Last heard on old video "Lewis on League".
Funny this was quoted back in 2007...

Since then Danny McMaster has re-structured it and it's been on high rotation with the 2GB call team.

bottle

Coach
Be beter if it didn't have Matty Johns' head in it.
Especially playing the dutiful husband, lol.

bobmar28

Bench
Gret move, we can't be recycling the same material over and over again.

I just hope that they choose some better type music and not the "bogan" type orientated crap we 've been forced to endure for the last 20 years.

Time to take league into a new diverse direction.....

BTW glad to hear we have a full time year long marketing manager for the NRL. You wouldn't know it because all they seem to ever do is pre seaon work ad campaigns only.

Classical music? Opera maybe? That should drive fans away.

bobmar28

Bench
The NRL simply don't have the dosh for a serious year-round campaign. Now if News LTD paid the NRL its true worth for television coverage then they could mount a proper advertising campaign with good media spend. Well at least they wouldn't have an excuse.

A billion dollars is not enough?

forward pass

Coach
Great ad. Apparently they had a choice between Simply the Best and Tom Kennelly's "Blow that Whistle ref" and went with this one.

The Front Row

Administrator
Staff member
Fox have just released this ad...

[youtube]oi6y48YoGAo[/youtube]

Thoughts on the ad? Great, good, bad or indifferent?

It's a clever remake of the 'Simply the Best' ads of the 1990s that featured Tina Turner, and re-worded with 'Simply Obsessed'. The re-written vocals are performed by Mahalia Barnes, daughter of Jimmy Barnes. Matthew Johns, Nathan Hindmarsh and Peter Sterling also feature in the ad.

And onto the question of Fox. Is it worth getting?

There often seems to be a question mark that hangs over Fox, particularly during the offseason. Some people will ditch it altogether, while others don't know how they can survive without it. Come the start of the NRL season and loads of people seem to sign up or at least think about it. The only issue is that you generally end up with a package with lots of non-League stuff thrown in.

But it does seem that the coverage is pretty good, what with five NRL games every week.

So to the Fox viewers: What is your typical viewing on any given week? Is it worth getting Fox if you only want it for the football?

And if you're a FTA watcher, are you thinking of making the switch to Fox?

betcats

Referee
Already being discussed in the "simply the best..." thread.

Admin, please delete yourself.

Edit: Just saw the questions at the end, pretty sure plenty of people get the foxtel sports package just for the footy season every year. There is a lot of league related viewing on fox sports so its worth it if you are really into(like most of us on these forums) definitely.

Last edited:

Latest posts