What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 26 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Just been listening to Gus Gould, couple of big statements

Galvin is the best teenager he has ever seen, and by the time he retires nobody will have earned more money in rugby league than him

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It's late in the season and we're all getting tired. Penrose Warrior made my intro easy this week!:

'Quite a few big games this weekend - can't believe the Pennies are 4th now, and not inconceivable they end up out of the 4...although you'd have to think they destroy the Bunnies this week.

'Eels Dragons is big for both clubs, Dolphins Broncs is huge, too. Dogs and Sea Eagles is massive, even if it wasn't such a big thing in terms of top 4 and top 8. The Cows will want a home final, and the Storm might have the cue in the rack ahead of the finals.

'Sharks will definitely want to towel us up and look for a top 2 spot, same with Roosters v Raiders - Raiders love ruining other people's seasons. Knights Titans might be the only one without any real consequence, although I spose the Knights have vague hope.'

Enjoy.
Honoured to make the weekly preview!!!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Just been listening to Gus Gould, couple of big statements

Galvin is the best teenager he has ever seen, and by the time he retires nobody will have earned more money in rugby league than him
The thing with Gus is, you can never take him on face value. There is always an angle, a bias, a reason for things Gus says. I doubt he'd ever say this about a Dogs 19-year-old, he wouldn't want the pressure on him. If you went to a Dogs presser and asked him if Toby Sexton (I know he's not 19) was the next $1m player, he'd shut you down. He'll talk down the Dogs' chances in the finals.

Is Galvin the best we've seen? Admittedly I haven't watched a lot of him...good player, but geez, he's not even the best half in Sydney that debuted as a teenager. Sam Walker was arguably better as a teen debutant.

I will say, that if the Tigers aim to keep Galvin, maybe they need to make him the most paid player of all-time. So not inconceivable, but surely DCE has earned a shit tonne with his 10-year deal, playing 25 Origins, 21 Tests, sponsorships etc.

Blair

Coach
This is the first time I've heard of Galvin.

A mate put me on to a podcast, Point Of Difference. It does all the old NZ leaguies. I haven't tuned in yet but I bet someone here has followed it.

I'll start with the Kurt Sorenson episode, where he said his worst mistake in league was going to Easts.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Galvin is very talented, Gould really rating him above Fittler? He was remarkable as a schoolboy, immediately had a huge impact.

Galvin needs the right team to support his development.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Galvin is very talented, Gould really rating him above Fittler? He was remarkable as a schoolboy, immediately had a huge impact.

Galvin needs the right team to support his development.
He said Fittler was a different type of talent, big body ball runner with a step, says he hasn’t seen an 18 year old like Galvin run a side and touch the ball 3-4 times a set all over the field like he has been doing

Reactions: JJ

Blair

Coach
18-12, Manly. The Fox brings the crowd back into it (but now he's limping with a trainer).

Manly have looked good.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Tom would have to be close to the unluckiest footy player I’ve seen, hopefully a needle might get some more footy out of him this season

Great scrambling defence and great attack as well tonight. That tackle from Olakau’atu I was waiting for to be penalised for being too rough, what a beauty. Plenty of aggression out there tonight from Brown, Paseka and Olakau’atu. Clear hip drop end Saabs season and they can’t even find a penalty for it let alone 10mins. 6 months ago I hadn’t heard of Lehi Hopoate, but he looks like a pretty special sort of player, never mentioned in any of the rookie chats either.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Looks like tonight will have who the top 4 is done and dusted

Next week, big if, but if Manly beat the Sharks, they will take 6th spot and a home final, and the Dogs v Cowboys is a 5th place play off with the loser potentially going down to 7th with a Manly win

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Nice moment in the Souths game with the young winger scoring a try after his mother died yesterday and his uncle today

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Nice moment in the Souths game with the young winger scoring a try after his mother died yesterday.

That's nice for him. I think the Bunker had a hand in that try though, as To'o's disallowed try before it seemed to reward some lazy defence by Souths.

18-6, Panthers. Halftime. But should really be 24-0.

Edit: 34-12, Panthers. Final. A snore of a 2nd Half. Two pitch invaders brought the game alive somewhat.

Last edited: