What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 4 2023 - General Non-Warriors Thread

But of a contrast between old man Wayne and old man Tim in their current relevance in coaching

With Sheens and Marshall the Tigpies just seem to have gone all in on self harm

if Sheenss is useful it might be more in a Gould type role

Never been a Bennett fan, but aside from Newcastle he’s been amazing, even though he’s always had decent squads…. And Brown’s abysmal Newcastle performance didn’t fit his ((Brown’s) narrative tbh
He got Newcastle to a Grandfinal qualifier 1 year.

Blair

Coach
The Cowboys looked a little too good for the GC at home.

Rabbitohs home in another golden-point decider. What's wrong with a draw? A hard-fought game, share the points!

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Agree on the draw, harsh on the losing team in regular season… just use golden point in playoffs

Nothing wrong with a draw at all. Would be interesting to look at Stats for teams who play golden point = more injuries the following weeks or losing more games? Due to extra minutes

Blair

Coach
After that highly satisfying win at Mt Smart these last two games this round will be an easy follow.

C'mon Raiders, but c'mon Knights too! Both sets of fans will be tense.

Blair

Coach
The Knights win, 24-14. They had to stop some big, physical raids by Canberra. Don't write off Newcastle, they have heart.

Canberra? They started slow last season but made the finals. There were still calls for Sticky's head. It will be louder this year.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Cronulla absolutely putting the cleaners through the Dragons in the second half lead by Hynes. A huge test for our new look defence next week.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Knights win, 24-14. They had to stop some big, physical raids by Canberra. Don't write off Newcastle, they have heart.

Canberra? They started slow last season but made the finals. There were still calls for Sticky's head. It will be louder this year.
Newcastle are above St George on the form rankings after this round IMO. Canberra are just being Canberra, they seem to exist purely to shorten Sticky’s life expectancy.

Blair

Coach
Cronulla 40 St George 8. In a close competition that stands out as a real hiding.

Rd 4 Ladder:

1679830119293.png

Back after round one it was only a joke but I said we're above teams like Penrith and Melbourne on the ladder, and then mentioned how long it would last!

Well, we're four weeks in now.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Cronulla 40 St George 8. In a close competition that stands out as a real hiding.

Rd 4 Ladder:

View attachment 71808

Back after round one it was only a joke but I said we're above teams like Penrith and Melbourne on the ladder, and then mentioned how long it would last!

Well, we're four weeks in now.
I think the table is starting to reflect real form now- and we're still 4th. Go us!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I think Shaun's defence has grown so much every year.

Serious comment.

A big bloke will always beat a smaller bloke close to line.

Shaun does not shirk his task, his bones no longer break.

Keep him running Andrew.

JJ

Immortal
I’ve always found him a really uninspiring character
I guess we don't see what happens in dressing rooms - but as far as uninspiring characters go, Ivan, old man Wayne, and several others fit that bill too...

Hook's been ok, but McGregor was ok too

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
So we have seen this weekend that the refs/bunker hasn’t gotten any better at all

All these were absolute howlers

Brad Parker forward pass, not even line ball
Kikau strip on Pompey, clear stripping motion let go
Johnson try, that AFB contact has been no try 100% of the time for years
Sharks try where the fullback got taken out

3 of those are confirmed by the bunker, no idea how it can be improved