What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL rebellion: Rugby league clubs want CEO Dave Smith gone or threaten to leave comp

insert.pause

First Grade
NOT ENOUGH DEPTH FOR EXPANSION, NOT ENOUGH DEPTH FOR EXPANSION :crazy: ----------> (adds 176 players to professional players pool).

Now fear-mongering contractionists can strangle expansion for another quarter-century given 2 new clubs will require another 72 elite professionals on top of the proposed 576. (we sit at 400 today). (relocation is now off the cards as no-one will accept that unless they are staring at liquidation and the broadcast deal has eliminated that possibilty).

Player burnout is just a whinge. Give everyone bonus match payments for every match over a designated ceiling and watch them fall over each other scrambling for the cheque. Heck they'll even put their hands up for internationals at the end of the year.

Funny how a whole-of-game strategy completely ignores planning for the competition's strategic growth. Should have been called a limited internal structural review if that was always the scope because that's what they've come up with.

Expanding the NRL squads increases the quality of the player pool as well as raising the quality of the second tier. The influence behind the remodeled NSW Cup is to broaden the reach of the second tier, giving areas that may never have NRL teams a team, fiji & wellington will probably have teams. That is expansion and sets the game up to expand the NRL competition in the future.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
What's to stop super league clubs signing 17 year olds?

I mean when you were 17 if someone offered you $100 today or $200 next year maybe which would you have chosen?

Last edited:

johnny plath

Juniors
I don't have an issue with this in theory, but theory has never been RL's problem, more the constant f**k ups in the execution part of the equation.

I don't like the idea of a draft, never have, never will, but that's a separate issue.

So when it says "Players can't sign for an NRL club until the year they turn 19" I take it that means an 18 year old can sign Jan 1st of "year X" even if his birthday is Dec 31st of that year?

It's nice to say that agents might be kept away from kids until they turn 17, but will they really? I hope there's some sort of scheme involved in this to ensure that actually happens.

I think the article just says you can't debut until the year you turn 19. So I'm assuming you could be contacted before then and you could debut in round 1 of the year you turn 19 so in theory you could still debut as an 18 year old like it is now. I don't think it would really affect that many players if that's the case.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What's to stop super league clubs signing 17 year olds?

I mean when you were 17 if someone offered you $100 today or $200 next year maybe which would you have chosen?

They would gain good experience and they could come back at 19.

Personally i would hope RL juniors would be in the game for more than cash...

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Richo is surely having a laugh proposing 36 man NRL squads. Where are the players going to come from, as it means an extra 176 full time contracts across the league. And I thought there wasn't the depth for NRL expansion yet here they are proclaiming an increase in the nrl player pool, so any new expansion side will have to find an additional 36 players to have a full roster! Also are they proposing that all 19 unused players play in the second tier/ How then, can they expect to market an "ellie" 2nd tier competition with a full squad of blowins that will chop and change week to week and likely very few locals involved. And which nrl side will the players for the proposed 2nd NZ side be signed to? certainly not the warriors as they will have 36 of their own to handle in the Auckland side.

Regardless of what pathways they implement at the second tier level in NSW and QLD the majority of players looking to play professional league are going to have to go to Sydney, as they have not proposed any blueprint or plan to expand the one competition that desperately needs it- the NRL. That part has left me bitterly disappointed with the whole thing.

Nice to see international footy get a mention but I fear that the additional leave is an idea that the RLPA will run hard with and it will eat into the window for internationals so there is even less than there is now.

I also predict that this will all hurt the NZ pathway in the extreme and reduce the numbers of young kiwis making it into the NRL as there will be a financial incentive or high profile NYC competition to sell the game to them as an option.

FFS please do not call the 2nd tier the platinum league I cannot think of a worst name that just seems cheesy and irrelevant.

So the nrl clubs can sign 3 17yo players to contracts per season. So that's 48 per year in total, did he think that those not getting contracted at 17 might get disheartened and give it up? At the very least I can see many being cherry picked by union. A proper rookie draft for 18year olds would be much better than the mess the proposal would make.

90% of this is pure BS. Why do aussies have to come up with such convoluted ideas for their sports? Surely having spent time in the UK richo would have been exposed to the catch all inclusive format of the tiered british football system

Last edited:

alien

Referee
this will be a disaster! souths and roosters are going to have to share a reserve grade side in this so-called "platinum league". what happens when souths want one of their players, who doesn't make the first grade side, to play a certain position in the reserve grade side, but the roosters coach wants one of his players to play in the same position??? i think every nsw nrl team should have their own reserve grade team, under the same name/colors, and if the nrl want to add other teams from other areas to that reserve grade comp, then they can. i have a feeling something else is going on here. what if they are planning on making some more sydney clubs merge/relocate, and they want to make sure that things will work as smoothly as possible by already having all the juniors looked after and managed. if these platinum league areas are the same teams that will be in the nsw under 20s, under 18s, under 16s, then people will feel connected to their area. if you are in a combined area like this combined cronulla-sutherland/st. george/canterbury area, then no matter which of those teams you go for, you will feel a connection to that area, and they might think you won't feel that bad if your team mergers with another in that area, and are more likely to accept/support it, because if this happens, the first grade teams will just feel like franchises with not much connection to the area that it's meant to represent

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Richo is surely having a laugh proposing 36 man NRL squads. Where are the players going to come from, as it means an extra 176 full time contracts across the league. And I thought there wasn't the depth for NRL expansion yet here they are proclaiming an increase in the nrl player pool, so any new expansion side will have to find an additional 36 players to have a full roster! Also are they proposing that all 19 unused players play in the second tier/ How then, can they expect to market an "ellie" 2nd tier competition with a full squad of blowins that will chop and change week to week and likely very few locals involved. And which nrl side will the players for the proposed 2nd NZ side be signed to? certainly not the warriors as they will have 36 of their own to handle in the Auckland side.

Oh pain, oh trejedy. Misery be thy name, how could they be'th so cruel as to want to gradually develop more NRL standard players and get more players into that $80k minimum wage bracket

Ill get the razor blades.

FFS please do not call the 2nd tier the platinum league I cannot think of a worst name that just seems cheesy and irrelevant.

I do agree with this, keep it simple and name it after some famous ex player

Jersey Flegg or Trumper.

So the nrl clubs can sign 3 17yo players to contracts per season. So that's 48 per year in total, did he think that those not getting contracted at 17 might get disheartened and give it up? At the very least I can see many being cherry picked by union. A proper rookie draft for 18year olds would be much better than the mess the proposal would make.

Players already cannot debut in the NRL befor their 17th birthday (which will be raised to 19, for the sake of safety).

This idea that 17yo will leave because they are ineligable for million dollar contracts is ludicrous. They will be paid the same by their Platnum League club and a 19 will look for an NRL squad to join. A more formalised timeline will probably make players MORE inclined to stay on until 19. Under the current systems, players can have no idea what their prospects may be.

Union will be no more likely than they are now to sign away RLs best prospects....

insert.pause

First Grade

Regardless of what pathways they implement at the second tier level in NSW and QLD the majority of players looking to play professional league are going to have to go to Sydney, as they have not proposed any blueprint or plan to expand the one competition that desperately needs it- the NRL. That part has left me bitterly disappointed with the whole thing.

Nice to see international footy get a mention but I fear that the additional leave is an idea that the RLPA will run hard with and it will eat into the window for internationals so there is even less than there is now.

I also predict that this will all hurt the NZ pathway in the extreme and reduce the numbers of young kiwis making it into the NRL as there will be a financial incentive or high profile NYC competition to sell the game to them as an option.

90% of this is pure BS. Why do aussies have to come up with such convoluted ideas for their sports? Surely having spent time in the UK richo would have been exposed to the catch all inclusive format of the tiered british football system

Most clubs would use on average 30 players a season, the other six are rookies.

Platinum league is just the name been given for the discussion paper, it's a placeholder.

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
Oh pain, oh trejedy. Misery be thy name, how could they be'th so cruel as to want to gradually develop more NRL standard players and get more players into that $80k minimum wage bracket

Ill get the razor blades.

I do agree with this, keep it simple and name it after some famous ex player

Jersey Flegg or Trumper.

Players already cannot debut in the NRL befor their 17th birthday (which will be raised to 19, for the sake of safety).

This idea that 17yo will leave because they are ineligable for million dollar contracts is ludicrous. They will be paid the same by their Platnum League club and a 19 will look for an NRL squad to join. A more formalised timeline will probably make players MORE inclined to stay on until 19. Under the current systems, players can have no idea what their prospects may be.

Union will be no more likely than they are now to sign away RLs best prospects....

Players can't debut until they are 18 right now. It's not motivated by safety but welfare to keep them at home longer.

insert.pause

First Grade
this will be a disaster! souths and roosters are going to have to share a reserve grade side in this so-called "platinum league". what happens when souths want one of their players, who doesn't make the first grade side, to play a certain position in the reserve grade side, but the roosters coach wants one of his players to play in the same position??? i think every nsw nrl team should have their own reserve grade team, under the same name/colors, and if the nrl want to add other teams from other areas to that reserve grade comp, then they can. i have a feeling something else is going on here. what if they are planning on making some more sydney clubs merge/relocate, and they want to make sure that things will work as smoothly as possible by already having all the juniors looked after and managed. if these platinum league areas are the same teams that will be in the nsw under 20s, under 18s, under 16s, then people will feel connected to their area. if you are in a combined area like this combined cronulla-sutherland/st. george/canterbury area, then no matter which of those teams you go for, you will feel a connection to that area, and they might think you won't feel that bad if your team mergers with another in that area, and are more likely to accept/support it, because if this happens, the first grade teams will just feel like franchises with not much connection to the area that it's meant to represent
they don't have to share affiliate sides, it's based on the minor league baseball where geography doesn't restrict where the affiliate side is located.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A true visionary!

“My work has made no recommendation for expansion at the NRL level,’’ he told The Courier-Mail.

Player concerns over workload may be allayed by the plan that Australia not play Test football after World Cup years, which are every fourth year.

When the British agitate for more Test football over an eight-year cycle, Richardson’s response is that in a sense Australians “already play 24 Tests in eight years, if you count Origins’’.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/b176653e00348c6cb5f2cce9248e452f

alien

Referee
they don't have to share affiliate sides, it's based on the minor league baseball where geography doesn't restrict where the affiliate side is located.

so how are they going to chose which one is linked to the local platinum league side??? a lot of players who expected to live in sydney are going to have to move on and off to some tinpot town in country nsw and be away from their families - i'm sure they'd love that! why not just have the nsw cup where each nsw nrl team has their own nsw cup team, and teams like coffs harbor, dubbo, christchurch, etc. can be added??? you could have the same thing for under 20s, under 18s, under 16s

alien

Referee
A true visionary!

?My work has made no recommendation for expansion at the NRL level,?? he told The Courier-Mail.

Player concerns over workload may be allayed by the plan that Australia not play Test football after World Cup years, which are every fourth year.

When the British agitate for more Test football over an eight-year cycle, Richardson?s response is that in a sense Australians ?already play 24 Tests in eight years, if you count Origins??.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/b176653e00348c6cb5f2cce9248e452f

:lol: oh god

Perth Red

Post Whore
The way I'm reading it is that smith had a big vision for what RL could be, both in an expanding g NRL and at rep level. Just read his interviews when he came into the game. Richo was brought in early in the year with the same vision, again read his interview in Feb. The commission got cold feet, bailed on pushing the tv deal, bailed on rep football, bailed on upsetting the clubs. Smith walked as was being white anted by the commission and Richo has come out with a bs all of game plan the commission has told him to write, that is anything but and is basically shuffling the deckchairs. Such a Shame, I really thought we were at a point were rugby league was going to become so much more than it is. Oh well maybe in another decade or two.

insert.pause

First Grade
The way I'm reading it is that smith had a big vision for what RL could be, both in an expanding g NRL and at rep level. Just read his interviews when he came into the game. Richo was brought in early in the year with the same vision, again read his interview in Feb. The commission got cold feet, bailed on pushing the tv deal, bailed on rep football, bailed on upsetting the clubs. Smith walked as was being white anted by the commission and Richo has come out with a bs all of game plan the commission has told him to write, that is anything but and is basically shuffling the deckchairs. Such a Shame, I really thought we were at a point were rugby league was going to become so much more than it is. Oh well maybe in another decade or two.

:lol:Lol, Smith from day dot never supported expansion, to the point of being refered to in the media as 'anti-expansion'. He always maintained that the current clubs were the priority. There's an interview by Mark Scott on YouTube after Smith's first year saying as much. However there's absolutely no evidence to suggest he ever supported expansion.

Nice conspiracy theory though!