What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rookies 2007

girvie

Staff member
I liked the thread last year where people gave some background info on players who were making their debut in the NRL.

When the teams are announced then i'll update this list and it would be great if supporters could give some background information and their views on the players who will make their NRL debut.

Brisbane Broncos

Canberra Raiders
Michael Dobson - Round 1 - Halfback

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

Gold Coast Titans

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

Melbourne Storm
Israel Folau - Round 1 - Wing
James Aubusson - Round 1 - Bench
Sam Tagataese - Round 1 - Bench
Ryan Shortland - Round 1 - Bench

New Zealand Warriors

Newcastle Knights
James McManus - Round 1 - Wing
Terence Seu Seu - Round 1 - Hooker
Cory Paterson - Round 1 - Bench
Jesse Royal - Round 1 - Bench

North Queensland Cowboys
Scott Bolton - Round 1 - Bench

Parramatta Eels

Penrith Panthers
Junior Moors - Round 1 - Bench

South Sydney Rabbitohs

St George Illawarra Dragons
Josh Morris - Round 1 - Fullback
Keith Lulia - Round 1 - Centre
Richard Williams - Round 1 - Five-Eighth
Dan Hunt - Round 1 - Prop
Lagi Setu - Round 1 - Bench

Sydney City Roosters
Shaun Kenny-Dowall - Round 1 - Wing
Mitch Aubusson - Round 1 - Five-Eighth

Wests Tigers

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parramatta

Krisnan Inu - Wing/Centre/Fullback - Cabramatta Junior.
Blake Green - Half/Five-eight - Cabramatta/Hills District
Weller Hauraki - Second Row [New Zealand]

murraymob

Coach
Micheal Jennings centre,winger was at start of last year playing s.g.ball played in both s.g.ball and jersey flegg grand final winning teams will make Penrith first grade this year maybe even in first game

kooriguy

Juniors
what murry said jennings is a certain star of the future also a young forward that will be in first grade this year junior moors looks the goods.. reminds me of pritchard.

Storm: Sam Tagataese - strong tall forward from Wellington with great handling skills and good ability to offload in the tackle...will definitely get game time this year and reminds me a lot of Kidwell and Hoffman in style...

At this point I would predict that Manly will have no debutants to the NRL for Rnd 1. Matt Ballin (hooker) and Glen Stewart (2nd row/lock), brother of Brett Stewart will appear at some stage this year though.

Jatz Crackers said:
At this point I would predict that Manly will have no debutants to the NRL for Rnd 1. Matt Ballin (hooker) and Glen Stewart (2nd row/lock), brother of Brett Stewart will appear at some stage this year though.

Hasn't Glen Stewart played about 15-20 games for the Sea Eagles?

thommo4pm

Coach
Saints will have a number of debutants over the course of the year, some very promising kids coming through.
Round 1:
Josh Morris, Nightingale, Williams, Hunt, Houston, Chase Stanley & Lagi Setu all lookset to make their debuts.
Morris - fullback, wing or centre...speed to burn. Excellent kick returner, very smart defender.
Nightingale, not as quick as Morris over 100m. Has put on some size over the off season. Fullback/winger
Williams - extremely talented young 5/8. Just needs time and confidence in the top grade. Big wraps on him
Hunt - very solid young prop. Runs very hard and has put on plenty of size also.
Houston - another young prop, was captain of our Premier League last year. Physique wise is almost a spitting image of Ryles. Tall and not an ounce of fat on him. Excellent defender up the middle and around the rucks.
Chase Stanley - 17 year old winger. May get his chance if injuries occur. Although there is talk of him starting on the wing in Round 1. Played both trial matches as a starting winger, but thoughts are McDougall, and Nightingale have the inside running on him.
Lagi Setu - massive wraps on this young 18 year old 2nd rower/lock. Extremely talented, full of enthusiasm, runs hard hit harder. Can offload.

Rangi Chase needs more time to develop in my opinion.

There will be others, but these are the obvious ones.

Rangi Chase made his debut against the Dogs last year, he scored a try when Tuiaki passed the ball to him over the line. He still qualifies for Rookie of the year (I think) because he came off the bench in that games

thommo4pm

Coach
Most people wouldn't know Rangi Chase, and he will be making his debut for us.
Not sure if the rookie rule works that way or not...about coming off the bench.

I think I remember reading if you have played less then 5 games in the previous season and that was your 1st year you are able to fall into the rookie category for Dally M's in the current season.
I could be wrong though.

Marshall_magic said:
Hasn't Glen Stewart played about 15-20 games for the Sea Eagles?

Yep, thats right. I put him in as most people wouldnt have heard/seen him in the NRL. Hopefully he will become a regular this year, ousting Luke Williamson.

mongoose

Coach
Micheal Dobson - Halfback - killed it in ESL last year apparently

Bronx Goodwin - fullback - Was in line for the fullback spot but got injured, is a try scorer and from WA.

shiznit

Coach
thommo4pm said:
Most people wouldn't know Rangi Chase, and he will be making his debut for us.
Not sure if the rookie rule works that way or not...about coming off the bench.

I think I remember reading if you have played less then 5 games in the previous season and that was your 1st year you are able to fall into the rookie category for Dally M's in the current season.
I could be wrong though.

Mate... Rangi Chase is probably more well known in NZ then most half of the players in the NRL. hes on a reality TV show on Maori TV in NZ called Ngati NRL. they follow young aspiring poly kids trying to break into the NRL. weve been following Rangi for about 3 years now. they also followed Benji Marshall from an early stage too. very good program it was.

watched this weeks show and Rangi was playing for NZA V AUS'A in Melb last year. he carved up. he also talked about the move to the dragons and how he was looking forward to it.

Dave Taylor, big things expected of this 17 year old. One of the most exciting junior talents to come out of Queensland last season, this Australian Schoolboy tasted first grade while still lugging a backpack at St Brendan's. He also tore up opposition defences in the Queensland Cup last year, and has duly earned his promotion to the Broncos' top squad. Taylor has dropped several kilos of weight as he prepares to try and break into the Broncos team permanently. A name of the future.

girvie

Staff member
shiznit said:
Mate... Rangi Chase is probably more well known in NZ then most half of the players in the NRL. hes on a reality TV show on Maori TV in NZ called Ngati NRL. they follow young aspiring poly kids trying to break into the NRL. weve been following Rangi for about 3 years now. they also followed Benji Marshall from an early stage too. very good program it was.

watched this weeks show and Rangi was playing for NZA V AUS'A in Melb last year. he carved up. he also talked about the move to the dragons and how he was looking forward to it.
Who else are they following this year? Are Billy Ngawini and Ben and Casey Ellis back? Anyone new?

Latest posts