What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Round Twenty Fixture

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Ziggy, wtf can the club do? It's the networks choice - the club can only submit their preferences and MNF is obviously not theirs... but everyone does have to host it at some point.

I know that, but we have 3 Monday night home games scheduled to round 20, with no Sunday games in Sydney.

How is that equitable to our fans? At least give us one.
How can I take my kid to a home game? How can anyone with little ones, who are the next generation of supporters?

The networks choose the matches, but the NRL should have some sway to ensure that they also look after the fans.

I know that plenty will be asking the club tomorrow, and whether or not they can do anything, what else can we do?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think they should've done a Sunday double header with the Dogs/Eels & Rabbits/Roosters but they're clearly not smart enough...

Jobdog

Live Update Team
:lol: @ some of the Souffs fans blowing up about not having any day games. Welcome to our world last year ...

Ziggy the God

First Grade
:lol: @ some of the Souffs fans blowing up about not having any day games. Welcome to our world last year ...

The Knights not having any day games last year wasn't right either.

That you think it is funny, despite going through the same thing last year, shows your level of your intelligence.

Karmawave

Bench
Seriously, what time do people normally go to bed on a weeknight anyway?

This stuff about going to work the next morning is a load of crap - even school.

The MNF games start at 7pm and most people would be home in bed by 9.30pm - even schoolkids. Its hardly a late night, and I don't get the issue about it other than people wanting a good old whinge.

Last edited:

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Seriously, what time do people normally go to bed on a weeknight anyway?

This stuff about going to work the next morning is a load of crap - even school.

The MNF games start at 7pm and most people would be home in bed by 9.30pm - even schoolkids. Its hardly a late night, and I don't get the issue about it other than people wanting a good old whinge.

You try and take young kids to games that start at 7-730pm when they are usually in bed by 8pm.

Karmawave

Bench
You try and take young kids to games that start at 7-730pm when they are usually in bed by 8pm.

I understand its not easy for everyone, and the age of the kids can play a part.

But for every bloke like you who wants to take young kids, there's 3 or 4 other adults having a sook because they have work the next morning.

Fair dinkum. How many times would people gone on an all night bender and backed up for work the next day.

Anyone would think adults go to bed at 8pm on a weeknight or something.

I will also add that Sunday and Monday Night Football in America are as well attended as any Sunday afternoon game they have on - while at the same time having their night games being the their highest rated games on TV. ( though ESPN now has MNF instead of their FTA which has impacted that ) I know they have a different demographic, but they also have true fans who will pack out their stadium rain hail or shine.

I see it in Newcastle. A bit of rain around and the crowd drops by 30-40%. Harden up and buy a $1 poncho. You know? Some of the more memorable games I've attended has been in rain or at night in cold.

Sure it might be more of a pain in the ass to get to on a Monday night, but if the NRL didn't have such fair weather fans who want all the stars to align perfectly, true fans would make the effort to go irrespective of what time of day, and what day of week their team plays on.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
A simple solution to your problem the past couple of weeks could have been to actually get to CUA Stadium and watch them at the ground...

Yeah but it's townsville. the Melbourne game and Canberra game the fox active was stuffedf and we had to watch other games first.

I want a damn day game it's rubbish y not share them around

franklin2323

Immortal
Absolutely ridiculous.

I can't take my boy to night games because he cannot stay up that late, and now we don't have a home game on a Sunday before Round 20.

This draw is pharked.

EDIT: I suggest all Souths supporters get in touch with the club to complain, because we fork out for memberships in numbers and yet we don't get Sunday games????

Ziggy. Not just Souths Panthers have just 1 in Round 17. That's it!!! I understand the NRL Doesn't choose the game TV does. BUT As every team needs to have Mon nite game. Why can't something similar be for Sunday games. Fox will still have viewers if it's a Sunday compared to Sat nite. People that can't make nite games can atleast attend a couple of games a year

Jobdog

Live Update Team
We all know that tv runs the game. Do I agree with it? Certainly not. If I had my way, I'd ditch MNF and one of the Saturday night games and whack them on a Sunday arvo. But that wouldn't suit Nein or Fox.

skeepe

Immortal
We all know that tv runs the game. Do I agree with it? Certainly not. If I had my way, I'd ditch MNF and one of the Saturday night games and whack them on a Sunday arvo. But that wouldn't suit Nein or Fox.

It could be done, but we have these exclusivity arrangements meaning that when Channel 9 are broadcasting a game, Fox aren't allowed to, and I think it goes the other way too. That's why the 2:30pm Sunday game was moved to 2pm, because 9 didn't like the fact that it generally ran past 4pm.

If this deal were not in place, then we could easily have 4 Sunday matches... let Fox cover 3 of them (say, a 2pm match and two 4pm viewers choice matches) and Channel 9 retain their Sunday match, or two games per broadcaster, with each one showing a match at 2pm and 4pm.

It could definately work, but we need a new TV deal first.

Eels Dude

Coach
Bulldogs vs Eels would also be a great sunday arvo game. 5:30pm Saturday games are just awkward to watch because if you want to do something during the day, you have to cut it short to get out to, or watch the footy.

Eels Dude

Coach

What Skeepe said is pretty much spot on.

It's not a matter of agreeing with it or not, you have to live with it. The fact is that Foxtel and Nine fund the game at the moment, in doing so they have certain rights. The situation could be changed.... however if that were the case then broadcasters will not pay as much. Resulting in a significant revenue loss for the game and a definate backwards step to the NRLs survival.

franklin2323

Immortal

I agree with you. But even with our current deal there is 2 Sunday games a week meaning 104 chances a year to play day footy. I don't think it's too much to ask for atleast 4 day games a year is too much to ask.

Fri nite we play the Dragons in Wollongong. As I and most people work Monday-Fri. I can't go same in 2 weeks to Leichardt. I don't see what nine has to lose if the Fri nite and the Sunday games were switched.

Newcastle and Bulldogs fans may not agree but both teams have had a day game. spread it around

franklin2323

Immortal
It could be done, but we have these exclusivity arrangements meaning that when Channel 9 are broadcasting a game, Fox aren't allowed to, and I think it goes the other way too. That's why the 2:30pm Sunday game was moved to 2pm, because 9 didn't like the fact that it generally ran past 4pm.

If this deal were not in place, then we could easily have 4 Sunday matches... let Fox cover 3 of them (say, a 2pm match and two 4pm viewers choice matches) and Channel 9 retain their Sunday match, or two games per broadcaster, with each one showing a match at 2pm and 4pm.

It could definately work, but we need a new TV deal first.

the problem is then some dropkick tells you the score and people wont watch later games and the ratings drop and 9 and fox don't want that.

Maybe a 12 start with a Saturday game. But then that could be 2 early for some so it's difficult. But we all agree more day footy is the way to go

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I agree with you. But even with our current deal there is 2 Sunday games a week meaning 104 chances a year to play day footy. I don't think it's too much to ask for atleast 4 day games a year is too much to ask.

Fri nite we play the Dragons in Wollongong. As I and most people work Monday-Fri. I can't go same in 2 weeks to Leichardt. I don't see what nine has to lose if the Fri nite and the Sunday games were switched.

Newcastle and Bulldogs fans may not agree but both teams have had a day game. spread it around
I also think that the NRL, Nein and Fox should all put their heads together, release at the START of the year all 26 rounds - the days and times each team plays. Take into account when teams generally get their best crowds (I know they tried doing that this year, but I don't really think it's worked) and then go from there.

I dare say Newcastle, the Tigers and Canberra (for example) would all get their best home crowds on a Sunday arvo. So therefore, have them play all their home games on a Sunday arvo. Likewise with the Cowboys and Saturday night and, I suppose, to a lesser extent, Melbourne. Sure, it'd take a lot of work, but aren't the NRL meant to be listening to the fans? Screw these tv rights.

Latest posts