What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nrl salary cap set to hit 11 million

Wb1234

Referee
No problem with players earning big, they deliver the product at end of day. Just as long as it doesn’t chew up all the nrls money so we fail to invest properly in grassroots, asset base, promotion, growth etc.

it’d be good to see the nrl support the state bodies to develop increased revenue generation of their own as one strategic goal.

game has had a sht load of money since it went independent yet we seem to have very little to show for it.
The state bodies should all be punted into the sun

the qrl and nswrl couldn’t run a chook raffle

they were supposed to be abolished when the commission came in

the game doesn’t need the duplication of positions between the nrl and the clubs

blukablu

Juniors
Depends on your position, a winger or forward can earn a lot more in France or Japanese union than the nrl

Yeah maybe if you've played for the Wallabies or been a good Super Rugby player for years...

Otherwise, there is definitely more money AND opportunity in the NRL.

Colk

First Grade
Problem is the nrl is getting all the good union juniors as kids with contracts super rugby can’t match so they never get a chance to develop into elite union players

This is where part of the future is. Obviously the game needs to invest more in their own junior development but the opportunity of more money can help plunder the private school talent

Wb1234

Referee
This is where part of the future is. Obviously the game needs to invest more in their own junior development but the opportunity of more money can help plunder the private school talent
Most of the kids we get from private schools are also league juniors anyway

like suaali was a league junior way before he played union

all those private schools bribe them with free schooling so they play union

TDD91

Juniors
Remember the days when Union and League players got paid the same, if not more for Union players?

The salary cap for Super Rugby is $5.5M with the NRL about to have double that with (soon to be) 3.5X as many teams.
Super League cap is about $3.5M AUD, there's some clubs who want that reduced as well.

This Year?

Immortal
I think the highest paid players get too much club cap money. The min wage for players should go up to spread it more evenly. Rep players should get the extra $$ from rep games and 3rd party. No way should a plodder get 800k or more like we currently see. I think the salary cap needs an overhaul.
Don't get me wrong, players should be able to make as much money as they can because the career is short but it currently doesn't sit right with me as a fan.

Steel Saints

Juniors
I'd like to see discount exemptions for long serving players. For example if a player has played first grade for ten years at the same club, then a quarter of his salary is paid outside the cap.

Then it comes down to how well each club is run in a financial sense. Also salary cap exemptions is a good incentive for clubs to invest in their own juniors.

Colk

First Grade
I'd like to see discount exemptions for long serving players. For example if a player has played first grade for ten years at the same club, then a quarter of his salary is paid outside the cap.

Then it comes down to how well each club is run in a financial sense. Also salary cap exemptions is a good incentive for clubs to invest in their own juniors.

If you are going to raise the cap, obviously they in turn need to raise the minimum pay.

They need to scrap TPA’s. Give clubs a marquee player allowance (or 2) and some other dispensations.

Colk

First Grade
Super League cap is about $3.5M AUD, there's some clubs who want that reduced as well.

That’s a bit of a worry to be honest. Ultimately I think they would benefit from some sort of NRL partnership

Steel Saints

Juniors
If you are going to raise the cap, obviously they in turn need to raise the minimum pay.

They need to scrap TPA’s. Give clubs a marquee player allowance (or 2) and some other dispensations.

I definitely prefer marquee player allowance over TPA's, but even that is somewhat tricky. Firstly you have to identify which player or players deserve to get marquee dispensation outside of the cap. Now that may not be as easy, especially when you look at the rosters of clubs like Tigers and Bulldogs.

Also how much could you pay a marquee player? It could be anything, to the point where a club could find themselves on the brink of financial ruin.

Whereas with salary cap dispensation for long serving players, it is confined within the parameters of longevity, value and percentage.

Floodwaters

Juniors
Alot of people don't relise is the top end players that have signed for a million+ long term have in there contracts if the cap rises so does there pay so it benifits the elite

nick87

Coach
Alot of people don't relise is the top end players that have signed for a million+ long term have in there contracts if the cap rises so does there pay so it benifits the elite

The only player who's got their salary tied to a % of the cap based on reporting is DCE
Im not saying you're wrong but there have been a lot of reporting on player salary and the top 100 and what not... the only one this has been mentioned for is DCE

siv

First Grade
I would remove the need to spend 95% of the player cap

# of players and minimum payments address minimum spend

MugaB

Coach
The only player who's got their salary tied to a % of the cap based on reporting is DCE
Im not saying you're wrong but there have been a lot of reporting on player salary and the top 100 and what not... the only one this has been mentioned for is DCE
Add Nathan Cleary, he too has a percentage bump

Reactions: Vee

Floodwaters

Juniors

Nathan Cleary, T'Lolo, Ponga just too name a few.

Chimp

Bench
I thought the NRL outlawed ‘ratchet’ clauses that mean salaries rise pro-rata with the salary cap a number of years ago?