What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL stars unite for flood victims - Well done Bulldogs, Eels, Panthers, Tigers

GongPanther

Referee
We should be putting differences and club favoritism aside when it comes to issues like this.

There are people suffering badly up and down this land and instead,there are types that want to use a good intentioned thread for a tit for tat contest.

cleary89

Coach
I'd be cut if saints went, got a hectic schedule. Charity shield in a month, bulldogs in perth a week later, wcc in england a week after that. Then round 1 on gold coast, round 3 nz, round 4 newcastle.

While it would be good if they raffled off some sh*t, I don't think we have the time to go up there for a 3 days or what ever.

Binga

Juniors
I'd be cut if saints went, got a hectic schedule. Charity shield in a month, bulldogs in perth a week later, wcc in england a week after that. Then round 1 on gold coast, round 3 nz, round 4 newcastle.

While it would be good if they raffled off some sh*t, I don't think we have the time to go up there for a 3 days or what ever.

There are more important things in this world than a game of football. surely disasters like the QLD floods put a little perspective in peoples lives about what really is important, but apparently not.

Loudstrat

Coach
The whole concept is that it's clubs from Sydney's west pitching in to help out. Using it to have yet another dig at Melbourne shows just how low you can go. Grow up.

WTF? Where did I mention Melbourne you stupid genius?????

bobmar28

Bench
It's a bit of work for the players but the publicity is worth it and it brings a smile to peoples faces. Good on them. More should get involved.

Last edited:

Drax

Juniors
Wally Lewis was on the news the other night helping out. He was driving past and saw that they needed some help, so he helped.

El Diablo

Post Whore

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
WTF? Where did I mention Melbourne you stupid genius?????
Billy Slater plays for China, does he?
There are more important things in this world than a game of football. surely disasters like the QLD floods put a little perspective in peoples lives about what really is important, but apparently not.
You're seriously going to have a dig at Saints over this?

Fair dinkum. Your club's doing an awesome thing - I hate Parra but I'm proud of em. No excuse to rag on the Dragons though - they have a lot on their plate.

Timmah

Staff member
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=20287

Eels heading to Queensland to aid in flood relief

The Pirtek Parramatta Eels have united with fellow western Sydney clubs Penrith Panthers, the Bulldogs and Wests Tigers to aid the relief effort for the Queensland floods.

Players from the Parramatta Eels will fly into flood-ravaged south-east Queensland next Tuesday for two days to assist with the clean-up for one of the worst natural disasters Queensland has experienced.

The Pirtek Parramatta Eels, including Chris Walker, Carl Webb, Nathan Hindmarsh, Daniel Mortimer, Luke Burt and coach Stephen Kearney will be based in Ipswich and mainly help out in the badly damaged town of Goodna.

The Penrith Panthers will be taking 10 players including Petero Civoniceva, Michael Jennings, Lachlan Coote, Travis Burns and their coach Matthew Elliott to Karalee, Ipswich.

The Bulldogs are determining where they can provide the same type of benefit but in a different region. They hope to have it confirmed in the coming days. The Wests Tigers are also confirming details.

Approximately 20 Eels will travel to Goodna, spending their time cleaning up debris and mud from streets and property, mingling with the community and helping with the clean-up for the local Junior Rugby League Clubs.

The Eels will fly into Brisbane Airport on Tuesday morning before being bussed out to Ipswich by Ipswich Council.

Once there the players will be working hands-on with the disaster relief crews and locals to clean up the streets before going to a dinner arranged by Ipswich Council.

Later that evening the players will visit evacuation centres nearby to mingle with the locals, many of whom have lost their homes.

On Wednesday the team will head to local Rugby League Clubs in the area to help clean up facilities and assist however they can.

Parramatta Eels Chairman Roy Spagnolo says the Club is keen to do whatever it can to help the people of Queensland through the floods and clean-up.

"I'm really proud of this Club and the way everyone has pulled together to get the boys up to Ipswich to help in whatever way they can," he says.

"Rugby League always unites in times of trouble and the Parramatta Club are keen to help, especially given some of our players' families were directly impacted by the floods."

Loudstrat

Coach
20 Eels - so proud of my club, and I bet Webb and Walker are rapt as well. As a club with ethics and standards, we are second to none.
Billy Slater plays for China, does he?
He may as well in your stupid tiny mind if you have forgotten the link between where this disaster is and what jersey Slater wears 3 times a year.

FFS you sniff too much glue at times. Go and rearrange your sock drawer, putting the Saints ones on top of the old Dogs ones no doubt.

Good article ED - can't bag him over that

RL1908

Bench

The much-maligned rugby league players actually have rolled up their sleeves and offered to fly into the flood-ravaged areas to physically help with the clean-up. They constantly are criticised for their misogynist, blokey, hell-raising ways, but they are real men to whom we always will turn when the tough job has to be done.

I'm not so sure El Diablo that he is having a shot at RL players.

You could argue (and I think you are) that he unnecessarily revisited stereotypes about RL players, but he says they are "much maligned" and "constantly are criticised" - that's different to saying the criticisms thrown at them are true.

In any event, it's not all bad for RL if, within reason, its "hell raising ways" on and off the field distinguish it from Aust rules players/game.

I think if a RL person wrote/said it you might look at the picture he is portraying in a different light.

cleary89

Coach

Why isn't every company in Australia giving their employees time off to go help? Surely it is more important than a week at work.... but apparently not.

Timmah

Staff member
FFS you sniff too much glue at times. Go and rearrange your sock drawer, putting the Saints ones on top of the old Dogs ones no doubt.
How utterly original :lol:

Good to see you're still a bitter fool and can't even put that aside for such a good cause as this...