What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL team for Christchurch??

Timbo

Staff member
Hmmmm.....

If the competition ever gets to 20 teams again-and thats a big if-then yes. The priorities now are GC, CC and Wellington, then probably Perth and Adelaide. I'd say that of those 5, at least one (probably CC) would be a re-located Sydney team.

Although it is interesting to note there that they DID get nearly 20,000 to turn out in what will probably end up being the coldest match day conditions all year (maybe Canberra will get colder, maybe) and it was for an Aukland team vs. an Australian team so they really didn't have any loyalties there. And it was noted that Wellington's never been overly succesful in the Bartercard Cup of late, so why not Christchurch before Wellington?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I don't think it should be a soley Christchurch team. I would have gone for a 6/6 split of games with the "Southern" Orcas.

And if the competition is ever able to expand further, break the team into Wellington and the South Island.

Timbo

Staff member
By 'South Island' do you mean soley Christchurch or splitting it then with Dunedin and such?

A team doing things like that would struggle to find identity and a loyal fan base.

Eventually you would hope that it happens.

I hope this period of consolidation iby the NRL is worth it.

Lets face it, once you get Perth, Adelaide and the Gold Coast in place....from there its REAL, exciting expansion.

I think right now there is MORE then enough players for 17 teams. In a few years time...and with the way junior players are coming through the ranks....there will be place for more teams for sure.

Sorry for the double post...but just on a second NZ side....

I think the next side needs to build its team around Australians and filter in the young Kiwi's slowly.

Instead of getting a team and saying "Right, were going to build a New Zealand Rugby league club" they need to build the best NRL club they can.

The Warriors have some major issues and despite getting rid of alot of problems in recent season, they still cant shake the poor attitudes, lack of dicipline and terrible work ethic.

This isnt just an NZ thing, I believe the same thing has happened in Newcastle with the Knights because of lack of outside influence.

The next NZ team needs to be the best team possible. Because iof its a good side, thye locals will show up and support them....and it will take just a couple of very good Kiwi's coming through in a good NRL team to get fans happy with their new NRL club.

Glen

Bench
I'm from Dunedin, now in Sydney, and I've gotta say, no one down there gives a crap about rugby league. The Bulldogs did pull a few good crowds with the Warriors in Christchurch but haven't they decreased every time since the first one? Maybe one day but not any time soon

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
By 'South Island' do you mean soley Christchurch or splitting it then with Dunedin and such?

A team doing things like that would struggle to find identity and a loyal fan base.

Christchurch and Dunedin, a 10/2 match split or something, depending on the Dunedin following. Agree with your second point though.

Iafeta

Referee
It should be through the Orcas. Most matches at Wellington, 2 matches at Christchurch would be a nice combination.

Dogboy

Juniors
That's the idea with the Orcas, and why they would be called "Southern" rather than "Wellington". I think they are planning to split their games 9 : 3 that way if they ever get in.

Hopefully they will be admitted in a few years. It's not healthy for NZ rugby league, and therefore international rugby league, to have only one NZ team in the competition, when there is enough talent coming through to fill two teams. It would be great to have some local rivalry for the Warriors too.

yappy

Bench
They could just relocate an existing NRL side.

I know one that would be absolutely perfect! ;-)

A Christchurch team on it's own isn't a viable option in my mind the second NZ team playing 2/3 at Wellington 1/3 at Christchurch is a far better option imho.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Another vote for the Orcas with a Wellington/Christchurch split. Dunedin isn't worth the effort right now, the place is a union stronghold and you'd get better crowds to a League match on the West Coast or in Invercargill.

Timbo

Staff member
SpaceMonkey said:
Another vote for the Orcas with a Wellington/Christchurch split. Dunedin isn't worth the effort right now, the place is a union stronghold and you'd get better crowds to a League match on the West Coast or in Invercargill.

I've heard Invercargill is a NETBALL stronghold, with Union a distant second.

ThrashViking

Juniors
Hamilton should be considered as another option, they sold out a trial between the Warriors and Dragons with no first grade players in the side.

ThrashViking

Juniors
Timbo said:
SpaceMonkey said:

I've heard Invercargill is a NETBALL stronghold, with Union a distant second.
Yup, they cue outside for hours for Netball test tickets and the local team the Sting usually sell out matches.
Weird buggers.

LESStar58

Referee
mightybears said:
when the nrl ACTUALLY CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS for a 16th team, ya never know who will actually apply

Exactly, I think an NRL presence in the South island should go beyond 1 Tigers home game a season!

bender

Juniors
Glen said:
I'm from Dunedin, now in Sydney, and I've gotta say, no one down there gives a crap about rugby league. The Bulldogs did pull a few good crowds with the Warriors in Christchurch but haven't they decreased every time since the first one? Maybe one day but not any time soon

I could be wrong but i am 90% sure that the bulldogs games were all at Wellington and not Christchurch. I am also fairly certain that Christchurch has generally had roughly 1 game per year or so for a while now and this is the first time I can remember them getting a good crowd (ie in excess of 12000 to 15000). It was an excellent crowd to build on but they have a long way to go, before showing that they could sustain a team.

Iafeta

Referee
No, they had a game in 1996 against Balmain for Auckland Warriors, a game in 2004 versus Wests Tigers where they attracted a fair crowd given all the drama with the Warriors, and this game.

Three games.

Wellington always attracts very good crowds.