What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL two conferences

GongPanther

Referee
Areas that have teams packed on top of each other are the prime candidate for relocation. Canterbury has Wests Magpies to its west and Balmain to the east, which makes it impossible for them to grow. Ditto Cronulla as they have St George to the north and Wollongong to the south.

I can see Tigers and Dragons growing, but only if Bulldogs and Sharks relocate to a new market. Canterbury and Sutherland can become Tigers and Dragons districts within 20 years if the NRL and remaining clubs are active in promoting their brand to the kids from these regions.
Certain criteria will come into it such as catchment area size as you mentioned (preferrably known as territories), supporter membership size, junior participation size, etc will all be considered. I'd hate to be the one to call the shot, but maybe occam's razor would apply.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Even if we disagree on the conference idea (and yes there are plenty of problems it would bring) I find it really positive that the NRL are thinking big about ways to accomodate new teams. We've all had a crack at a fantasy comp..and this is possibly the NRL doing the same - closest we've had since 1995. Think about how bold that was - four new teams in one hit, none of them relocated. All four had their merits, wouldn't it be great if we now had a Crushers and Reds with over 25 years of history under their belt.

I've had great fun over the years drawing up future models. I've got an NRL 2070 model floating around somewhere with 3 conferences and 48 teams (including one based entirely in NZ and Pacific). Pie in the sky stuff but we won't get anywhere if we do nothing.

siv

First Grade
I would bring in the CC Bears as a Sydney club

And then relocate Easts to Adelaide as a regional club

Instant rivalries and balances Sydney v Regional conferences

MugaB

Coach
I would bring in the CC Bears as a Sydney club

And then relocate Easts to Adelaide as a regional club

Instant rivalries and balances Sydney v Regional conferences
Yep been saying this for years

I told you, he ain't worth debating with, nearly every post this maroon makes has some random sydney team relocating to somewhere that doesn't even play rugby league at the standard that the sydney team already plays, seriously he so backwards, you got HQ basically stating that there's a plan to segregate sydney in its own comp, purely coz its the biggest money maker in rivalries.... but nah we gotta cull em or move em... good one fückwít!
Your English isn't very good.

You still haven't explained where the money is going to come from to suppprt your crazy plan to have a 24 team competition!

Money doesn't grow on trees.

You haven't addressed the fact the Sharks were going to be relocated by the ARLC until PVL stood up and bailed them out.

There will come a time when a Sydney club falls over and HQ won't have the resources to bail them out. Don't be dumb enough to think broadcast revenue will always be high enough provide 16 teams with a $13m annual grant. FTA is dying and Foxtel is on its knees. Most or the game's revenue comes from broadcast rights. Any reduction in revenue from broadcast rights will lead to a reduction in the salary cap or the annual grant. Good luck getting the RLPA to side with the Sydney clubs over the players if it comes down to reducing the salary cap to keep struggling Sydney clubs alive. Players will go to French and Japanese RU.

Sydney clubs don't provide the TV money. Most or them draw poor ratings.

Screenshot_20210416-235258.png

market-size.png

From 2017-2019, Sydney teams made up 8 of the 11 least watched teams on FTA. Let that sink.

In 2020, 4 of the top 7 most viewed teams on Foxtel were not from Sydney. Again, let that sink in.

Not all 9 Sydney teams are valuable to the broadcasters. God help them if pokies are ever banned.

The one Sydney team you shit on relentlessly, the Roosters, are way more valuable than most of the other Sydney clubs.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Your English isn't very good.

You still haven't explained where the money is going to come from to suppprt your crazy plan to have a 24 team competition!

Money doesn't grow on trees.

You haven't addressed the fact the Sharks were going to be relocated by the ARLC until PVL stood up and bailed them out.

There will come a time when a Sydney club falls over and HQ won't have the resources to bail them out. Don't be dumb enough to think broadcast revenue will always be high enough provide 16 teams with a $13m annual grant. FTA is dying and Foxtel is on its knees. Most or the game's revenue comes from broadcast rights. Any reduction in revenue from broadcast rights will lead to a reduction in the salary cap or the annual grant. Good luck getting the RLPA to side with the Sydney clubs over the players if it comes down to reducing the salary cap to keep struggling Sydney clubs alive. Players will go to French and Japanese RU.

Sydney clubs don't provide the TV money. Most or them draw poor ratings.

View attachment 48038

View attachment 48039

From 2017-2019, Sydney teams made up 8 of the 11 least watched teams on FTA. Let that sink.

In 2020, 4 of the top 7 most viewed teams on Foxtel were not from Sydney. Again, let that sink in.

Not all 9 Sydney teams are valuable to the broadcasters. God help them if pokies are ever banned.

The one Sydney team you shit on relentlessly, the Roosters, are way more valuable than most of the other Sydney clubs.
Im on ignore remember, stop debating your nonsense, numbers crunching isnt going to prove relocations of any sydney based side... tell your story walking pal

Btw this is a 2 conference thread, read the title idiot before spouting your religious sermons on the wrong thread,

P.s. well done bronx good win

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
All that rivalry and half the Sydney clubs sit in the bottom half of the attendance table? Will a conference ensuring manly v sharks or Penrith v dragons or roosters v tigers make any difference?

All that rivalry and half the Sydney clubs sit in the bottom half of the attendance table? Will a conference ensuring manly v sharks or Penrith v dragons or roosters v tigers make any difference?
Great point, and one I was trying to get through to @MugaB, obviously to no avail. It's a furphy for people to say that our broadcast deal wouldn't be so high if we didn't have 9 teams in Sydney. Not only do half of Sydney's clubs sit in the bottom half of the attendance table, but their viewership on television is just as bad. Clubs like Brisbane, Melbourne, South Sydney, North Queensland and Parramatta are the ones bringing in the ratings that drive our broadcast deal to where it is. Bottom feeders add nothing, hence the reason they're not televised much on FTA.

Bit of a compromise on teams in the various conferences - either top 5 and GF in each conference and conference winners play off superbowl style or a top 5 cross over conferences finals series.

Conference : Roosters, Rabbitohs, Eels, Storm, Tigers, Knights, Dragons, Titans, Sea Eagles (play each other twice plus teams in other conference once ).

Conference : Broncos, Sharks, Cowboys, Bulldogs, Warriors, Panthers, Raiders, new Brisbane franchise, second New Zealand team (play each other twice plus Teams in other conference once ).

Great point, and one I was trying to get through to @MugaB, obviously to no avail. It's a furphy for people to say that our broadcast deal wouldn't be so high if we didn't have 9 teams in Sydney. Not only do half of Sydney's clubs sit in the bottom half of the attendance table, but their viewership on television is just as bad. Clubs like Brisbane, Melbourne, South Sydney, North Queensland and Parramatta are the ones bringing in the ratings that drive our broadcast deal to where it is. Bottom feeders add nothing, hence the reason they're not televised much on FTA.

Queensland clubs only rate while they’re doing well. Last year when all three clubs fared poorly, Queenslanders stopped watching league on masse and tuned in to the Brisbane Lions.

Queensland clubs only rate while they’re doing well. Last year when all three clubs fared poorly, Queenslanders stopped watching league on masse and tuned in to the Brisbane Lions.
Broncos were still the most watched club across FTA and PTV.

North Queensland attracted more viewers than the Penrith Panthers. If Penrith cannot draw during a season where they won God knows how many in a row plus the minor premiership, losing out to a regional team from a city of 150k that only picked up a hand full of victories, then they're not worth much to the networks.

Roosters were only slightly ahead of the Cowboys.
EjDgUI7U4AAH9rD.png

blaza88z

Coach
Not sure what sort of a fan base the Cowboys have but it'd be pretty big, I can't think of any other sporting teams from that area, at least not in any of the major codes

Fridee nights help, though plus three of the top five are Sydney teams with the other two being one team towns
The 3 Sydney teams in the top 5 were very successful on the field. Cowboys haven't made the top 8 since 2017, yet came within a whisker of toppling a Sydney Roosters team that were back-to-back premiers. Broncos got the spoon and were flogged by almost 60 points on a few occasions.

Would Parramatta, Sydney Souths and Sydney get those ratings if they had a season like the Cowboys and Broncos?

Two of the bottom 5 were also from Sydney, one of whom made the top 8.

Not sure what sort of a fan base the Cowboys have but it'd be pretty big, I can't think of any other sporting teams from that area, at least not in any of the major codes
There's plenty of us in Brisbane, too.

The 3 Sydney teams in the top 5 were very successful on the field. Cowboys haven't made the top 8 since 2017, yet came within a whisker of toppling a Sydney Roosters team that were back-to-back premiers. Broncos got the spoon and were flogged by almost 60 points on a few occasions. Would Parramatta, Sydney Souths and Sydney get those ratings if they had a season like the Cowboys and Broncos?

Won’t argue with any of that but you can’t deny being the only team in town helps.
Ratings can be weird. Think Roosters got better ratings in 2020 than in 2019 in spite of key injuries making it likely they weren’t getting a threepeat pretty early in the season.

Won’t argue with any of that but you can’t deny being the only team in town helps.
Ratings can be weird. Think Roosters got better ratings in 2020 than in 2019 in spite of key injuries making it likely they weren’t getting a threepeat pretty early in the season.
Having just one team in a town can be advantageous if it has a strong brand that resonates with people. Raiders, Warriors and Titans were down the bottom end of the ladder as they just don't appeal to most people. Storm, Broncos and Cowboys have created unique identities that make them stand out from the rest of the pack.

Sydney Roosters has the potential to be as big as the Broncos in my opinion, but for it to happen the ARLC would need to remove the less profitable clubs that are around them.

I don't think Manly should be in the league, but if they are, it should be as North Sydney Sea Eagles or Central Coast Sea Eagles.

Tigers have the potential to be a big brand, but as long as Canterbury are there they will be competing with one another for fans. I'd send Bulldogs to Christchurch, that way the Canterbury Bulldogs brand survives and Tigers get to market themselves to kids from Canterbury's district over the next 20 years. Western Sydney Tigers is a good name and would appeal to advertisers.

Dragons would be so much stronger as Southern Sydney Dragons, red and yellow, marketing themselves to the large Chinese population in St George and across Australia. They might even get some Chinese companies to invest in them. Sharks would be better off in Adelaide or Perth.

Mr Spock!

Referee
The 3 Sydney teams in the top 5 were very successful on the field. Cowboys haven't made the top 8 since 2017, yet came within a whisker of toppling a Sydney Roosters team that were back-to-back premiers. Broncos got the spoon and were flogged by almost 60 points on a few occasions.

Would Parramatta, Sydney Souths and Sydney get those ratings if they had a season like the Cowboys and Broncos?

Two of the bottom 5 were also from Sydney, one of whom made the top 8.

You're kidding right.

Cowboys would be the most popular team in rural qld. Their reach goes way out to mount isa.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Having just one team in a town can be advantageous if it has a strong brand that resonates with people. Raiders, Warriors and Titans were down the bottom end of the ladder as they just don't appeal to most people. Storm, Broncos and Cowboys have created unique identities that make them stand out from the rest of the pack.

Sydney Roosters has the potential to be as big as the Broncos in my opinion, but for it to happen the ARLC would need to remove the less profitable clubs that are around them.

I don't think Manly should be in the league, but if they are, it should be as North Sydney Sea Eagles or Central Coast Sea Eagles.

Tigers have the potential to be a big brand, but as long as Canterbury are there they will be competing with one another for fans. I'd send Bulldogs to Christchurch, that way the Canterbury Bulldogs brand survives and Tigers get to market themselves to kids from Canterbury's district over the next 20 years. Western Sydney Tigers is a good name and would appeal to advertisers.

Dragons would be so much stronger as Southern Sydney Dragons, red and yellow, marketing themselves to the large Chinese population in St George and across Australia. They might even get some Chinese companies to invest in them. Sharks would be better off in Adelaide or Perth.
Tried that.

It was called superleague.

And the Rabbitohs fan base would dwarf the Roosters.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Broncos were still the most watched club across FTA and PTV.

North Queensland attracted more viewers than the Penrith Panthers. If Penrith cannot draw during a season where they won God knows how many in a row plus the minor premiership, losing out to a regional team from a city of 150k that only picked up a hand full of victories, then they're not worth much to the networks.

Roosters were only slightly ahead of the Cowboys.
View attachment 48119
That graphs as misleading as f**k.

We watched the broncos because we wanted to see them get slaughtered. They still are the channel 9 darlings. They also had a policy of at least 1 qld game being fta.

Look where the warriors, raiders and poor dogs who aren't channel 9 darlings are.

I watch all games. No matter who's playing. I think most true fans do.

I don't even get how ratings are worked out.

Seems as dodgy as radios top 50 or mkr.

Latest posts