What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL2 Second Division

Pippen94

First Grade
The point being that soccer still manages to run a professional national competition despite having only modest support. Same with basketball, netball, rugby union.

Rugby league is a much more popular spectator sport than all these. NRL2 second division could get similar crowds and tv viewers to a-league, NBL, super netball, super rugby.

No it couldn't. 2nd division would be same size as NSW & qld cups. Will always come off as secondary & less important.

Pippen94

First Grade
P&R would not work in Australia. I would make the argument that it doesn’t work outside of soccer in Europe, mainly because that sport absolutely dominates that continent. Unlike here, where we have four football codes

Pro reg is in DNA of soccer. Once that happens here in Australia will add a lot of excitement & attention.

Pippen94

First Grade
The point being that soccer still manages to run a professional national competition despite having only modest support. Same with basketball, netball, rugby union.

Rugby league is a much more popular spectator sport than all these. NRL2 second division could get similar crowds and tv viewers to a-league, NBL, super netball, super rugby.

Soccer is supported by largest participation which contributes financially to top tier & rich private owners.

Pippen94

First Grade
yeah A League is on its knees, Ten are already regretting paying for the TV rights and they didn't even pay that much

Content they getting is probably a steal for what they'd pay for something else like scripted series etc. Not to mention soccerros & Matildas world cup matches

Pippen94

First Grade
Nobody watches the A-League. They have crowds of less than 1000 to some games, and crowds are on a huge downward trend.

@Pippen94 not sure why you think Channel 10 paying for the rights and then sticking it on there barely watched streaming service is "investing in it"

Bookmark this post. The A-League will contract before it ever expands again.

How the f**k would P&R work in Australia, without HUGE TV money and parachute payments? Clubs that are already on the breadline, would go super bankrupt.

I have more faith in view of ppl who back it up with money like owners willing to invest in teams, than some online random.

What ur seeing with a league is growing pains. We saw it with nsl which was at rock bottom when they pulled pin. Game had moved beyond small community clubs & a league was born. That 10 team (now increased) closed shop league has since became repetitive. Game is waiting for Pro reg to take it to next level.

Colk

First Grade
Pro reg is in DNA of soccer. Once that happens here in Australia will add a lot of excitement & attention.

A-League going to a stand alone subscription service (pretty much all of the content is on Paramount now) was probably the worst decision they could of made. Unlike AFL and NRL who can take some of their content away from FTV and not suffer too much, they need as many eyeballs as they can. It doesn’t help also that the standard of the A-League is pretty appalling and that hardly anybody would watch it in any case, particularly when you can watch a better standard like European soccer.

To add all this do you honestly think that people (other than the die hards) would tune into to watch a standard that is lesser than even A-League when again they can watch football matches that are of a much better standard abroad

Colk

First Grade
I have more faith in view of ppl who back it up with money like owners willing to invest in teams, than some online random.

What ur seeing with a league is growing pains. We saw it with nsl which was at rock bottom when they pulled pin. Game had moved beyond small community clubs & a league was born. That 10 team (now increased) closed shop league has since became repetitive. Game is waiting for Pro reg to take it to next level.

I think you’re dreaming. A-League’s problem is the same problem that the NBL has, or the Australian Baseball League has (whatever it is called). People who enjoy that sport can watch an infinitely better product from overseas.

Sure you’ll have diehards following it but it never have the mainstream support that AFL or NRL has because as I said you are not watching or consuming the premier product of its kind.

Pippen94

First Grade
I think you’re dreaming. A-League’s problem is the same problem that the NBL has, or the Australian Baseball League has (whatever it is called). People who enjoy that sport can watch an infinitely better product from overseas.

Sure you’ll have diehards following it but it never have the mainstream support that AFL or NRL has because as I said you are not watching or consuming the premier product of its kind.

Nah, only ppl who don't know about the rest of world think that. Hundreds (?) of soccer leagues around the world with millions of fans, despite big 4 dominating.

Pippen94

First Grade
A-League going to a stand alone subscription service (pretty much all of the content is on Paramount now) was probably the worst decision they could of made. Unlike AFL and NRL who can take some of their content away from FTV and not suffer too much, they need as many eyeballs as they can. It doesn’t help also that the standard of the A-League is pretty appalling and that hardly anybody would watch it in any case, particularly when you can watch a better standard like European soccer.

To add all this do you honestly think that people (other than the die hards) would tune into to watch a standard that is lesser than even A-League when again they can watch football matches that are of a much better standard abroad

Never claimed 2nd division would be huge draw, but actually with potential to move up means a lot more is at stake with soccer.

Colk

First Grade
Nah, only ppl who don't know about the rest of world think that. Hundreds (?) of soccer leagues around the world with millions of fans, despite big 4 dominating.

Firstly what big 4 are you referring to? Big 4 soccer leagues? Something else?

Secondly, what are you implying by your first sentence? Are you trying to imply that if I don’t share your view that I don’t know as much as you or deemed to be as worldly? How do you not know that I have not travelled extensively or lived overseas just because I don’t agree with you that a domestic soccer competition will ever get mainstream support here? There are a lot of presumptions in your point of view, as well as a whole lot of projections

Thirdly, you are implying (quite ironically based on your suggestion that I and others with my viewpoint don’t know anything about the world) that somehow all societies and sporting markets by natural extension are somewhat homogenous.

Take North America, for example, which is probably the closest to Australia in terms of a lot of things, and in particular to how they consume sports (not completely the same but most alike) How big is the MSL compared to the NBA, MLB or NFL? Same thing here- soccer is completely overshadowed by NRL, AFL and cricket in terms of viewership (not participation but viewership)

Compare that to Europe where soccer is easily the predominant sport with rugby, basketball, handball or tennis as secondary sports or Asia or Africa which have soccer as a popular sport (at least second popular sport) coupled with cricket, basketball and baseball.

Thus, soccer, by virtue of the fact that they have very little competition with other sports in those markets, are always going to have popular domestic competitions. It is pretty common sense.

Soccer doesn’t have that luxury here.

Colk

First Grade
Never claimed 2nd division would be huge draw, but actually with potential to move up means a lot more is at stake with soccer.

What are you claiming then? That adding a second division would make it only slightly more popular than it is now?

Can you see why people talk about rationalising Sydney?

All the data indicates there's more supply than demand. People are bored and voting with their absence.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Wildcats get same crowds as some nrl clubs, just saying.

jim_57

Staff member
Promotion & relegation doesn’t work when the sport isn’t big enough in that country to sustain it. Prime example Super League. Good luck to A-league if they want to try it.

TheGrifter

Juniors
a-league
average crowd 5,404 (9,428 pre-covid)
average FTA TV ratings (Ch10) 86k
approx Foxtel ratings 10-30k (before current broadcast deal)
current broadcast deal $40m per year

source

NBL
average crowd 4,998 (6,903 pre-covid)
approx FTA ratings 10-20k
approx streaming ratings 10-20k
current broadcast deal $15-20m per year

sources

If competitions like a-league and NBL can get decent broadcast deals on pretty small numbers, an NRL Second Division could as well if the ARLC was willing to invest some time and a little bit of money into it.

Back when the Qld Cup was broadcast on channel 9 on Sunday afternoon it would get 20-30k ratings in Brisbane alone. That's comparable to the FTA ratings for a-league. It also stacks up pretty well to the ratings for channel 9 Sunday afternoon NRL games in Brisbane which are usually around 100-120k.

Canard

Immortal
a-league

source

NBL

sources

If competitions like a-league and NBL can get decent broadcast deals on pretty small numbers, an NRL Second Division could as well if the ARLC was willing to invest some time and a little bit of money into it.

Back when the Qld Cup was broadcast on channel 9 on Sunday afternoon it would get 20-30k ratings in Brisbane alone. That's comparable to the FTA ratings for a-league. It also stacks up pretty well to the ratings for channel 9 Sunday afternoon NRL games in Brisbane which are usually around 100-120k.
Both those sports TV deals are loss makers.

mongoose

Coach
a-league

source

NBL

sources

that explains why I flicked on channel 10 news last night and the first sports story I got was the GWS Giants game lol they covered it extensively then showed a 5 second snippet of the Dragons v Raiders game. No mention of the Warriors first home game in 1034 days. f**king channel 10 riding AFL's nuts already.

that explains why I flicked on channel 10 news last night and the first sports story I got was the GWS Giants game lol they covered it extensively then showed a 5 second snippet of the Dragons v Raiders game. No mention of the Warriors first home game in 1034 days. f**king channel 10 riding AFL's nuts already.
Why would Ch10 promote NRL when they don't have the broadcast rights and it is confined to the east coast of Australia and Auckland?

This is the consequence of the game's focus on supporting nine unsustainable Sydney clubs to the detriment of every where else since 1995. Ch10 have stations in all five metro centres. NRL is dominant in just two and has zero presence in two of the other three. AwFuL is dominant in three and has a presence in the other two. If we stick to having nine clubs in Sydney then the bias will get more profound and we'll fall further behind fumbleball.

Latest posts