What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Furthermore, the Sydney clubs don't have a national profile, let alone a global one. The only club from Sydney that people around the country know about is the Elmer Fudds, courtesy of Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes-a-Court.

The fact that every Sydney club draws bugger-all revenue from football operations proves that they're small and irrelevant outside of Sydney. If they had all of these fans around the country then they would pull strong revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality because major companies want to be associated with recognisable sports brands.

In 2000, every club that was based outside of Sydney drew more revenue from game day than every club from Sydney.

While the three Sydney clubs who had aligned with Super League – Canterbury, Penrith and Cronulla – were considered the most profitable, every non-Sydney club produced larger gate receipts than their Sydney rivals.

Fast forward to today and the Cowboys generate more revenue from sponsorship and corporate hospitality than every club except the Brisbane Broncos. The Broncos and Storm are the most watched rugby league teams in Australia. This ain't my opinion, unlike the shit @Gobsmacked is pulling out of his arse. I'm basing this on actual data from OzTam ratings, annual reports from the clubs and the Gemba Report, which I've linked to in this paragraph.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
The Sydney clubs are not a global brand and anyone who thinks they are is a delusional idiot.

The only Sydney club that has a profile outside of Australia is the Elmer Fudds, and that's solely because Russell Crowe owns them and runs around America wearing their apparel and pushing them onto his mates in Hollywood. Despite Crowe's efforts, none of his Hollywood mates have bothered to invest in the Elmer Fudds -- or any Sydney RL club for that matter -- yet small NBL clubs like the Brisbane Bullets are owned by former NFL players.

Former NFL 2X Pro Bowl and Super Bowl Champion Vernon Davis Joins Brisbane Bullets Ownership Group
The Brisbane Bullets are pleased to announce that former National Football League star player Vernon Davis has joined the ownership group of the Club.​
Davis had an outstanding NFL career spanning 14 years, with highlights including a Super Bowl championship and two NFL Pro Bowl selections. Following his successful football career, Davis transitioned into an astute businessman as well as a trained actor and producer.​
“I’m excited to be joining the Brisbane Bullets organisation as a minority owner. Basketball was the first sport that I played growing up, and it has always been a passion of mine to be connected to the sport,” stated Davis.​
“Being part of this amazing ownership group provides me the opportunity to be involved in professional basketball in a meaningful way. Moreover, my interest and business in real estate will prove beneficial with the Summer Olympics coming to Brisbane in 2032 as we will look to delve into developing in the city leading up to the Olympics”.​
Kal Ross, CEO of the Kal Ross Agency, who has been instrumental in facilitating high profile entertainers and athletes’ pathways into ownership including Davis’, shared the importance of this monumental announcement. “My philosophy is to strategically partner clients with the best possible opportunities that will benefit them in the short and long term to create generational wealth,” stated Ross.​
Adding Davis to the ownership group is a strong endorsement of the NBL and another step into securing the long-term successful future for the Brisbane Bullets.​
“We are so excited to welcome Vernon to the Bullets family,” said co-managing owners Jason Levien and Jake Silverstein.​
“Vernon’s career on and off the field has been very impressive, and as we have gotten to know him and become friends, we recognised that partnering on this project was a natural fit. We are very excited to have him as part of our ownership group.”​
Bullets CEO Peter McLennan welcomes Davis to the Club. “Vernon joins what is already an impressive ownership group, we’re extremely lucky as a Club to have such high-profile individuals getting behind what we are building here at the Bullets, and I couldn’t be happier to welcome Vernon to the Club”.​
“Coupled with last week’s high-profile announcements of NBA stars Aron Baynes & Tyler Johnson, this news of Vernon joining the Club further highlights the power, interest and capability of the Brisbane Bullets to showcase the city of Brisbane to a global audience and there’s not too many Clubs in Brisbane that can do that”.​
“I’m excited to welcome Vernon to the Bullets ownership group, I’m looking forward to seeing him courtside at a game this season”.​
ABOUT VERNON DAVIS
Vernon Davis is a retired NFL champion, successful businessman and trained actor and producer. He attended the University of Maryland and was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers as the 6th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft.​
He played nine seasons with the 49ers, one season with the Denver Broncos and four seasons with his hometown team, the Washington Commanders (formerly Redskins). He was selected to the NFL Pro Bowl twice and won a Super Bowl with the Denver Broncos in 2016.​
After a successful NFL career, Davis transitioned into an astute businessman with an impressive investment portfolio in real estate and film, starting his own production company “Reel 85 Productions” in 2020 focused on developing and producing feature films.​
Vernon has been recognized for his film and television credits including starring alongside notable actors such as Bruce Willis (“Day to Die” and “Gasoline Alley”), John Malkovich (“Chariot”) and Morgan Freeman in the 2022 feature film thriller “MUTI.”​
Might not be global, but im here in fiji right now, and everyone on the island knows of the penrith panthers

Wb1234

Referee
Tbh I don't even know what the point is about the tv deal?
The AFL got a good deal, so what?
Hopefully we get a better deal next time?
What's this got to do with anything?

The NRL are at a record revenue, record club grants , record salary cap and record fans tuning in every week.
It's all growing year over year and it's fantastic!
I couldn't care less if the AFL are piloting a ship to the moon.

What does it actually have to do with the NRL?
I think you've been living in AFL territory for too long. Here in the land of the living, we couldn't give a toss.

You live in AFL isolation and it's evident.

Do you think anyone on the east coast ever, actually ever even thinks for 1 second about Perth?
The only chance it'll make the news is if there's a Martin Bryan type situation.
You live in the middle of nowhere.

I think you should just go for AFL .
You can pull yourself off to the freo dockers 🤣🤣🤣
I’ve never been to Perth and will never go

apparently it’s got nice beaches but then again I live in a city with probably 50 different beaches people have never even heard of like camp cove or red leaf

five hours on a plane to get to a glorified country town heck I could almost be in Thailand for that hassle

a Perth nrl club will average around 15k and result in a small increase in tv viewers

it’s no game changer that’s for sure

MugaB

Coach

apparently it’s got nice beaches but then again I live in a city with probably 50 different beaches people have never even heard of like camp cove or red leaf

five hours on a plane to get to a glorified country town heck I could almost be in Thailand for that hassle

a Perth nrl club will average around 15k and result in a small increase in tv viewers

That rubbish, its a beautiful city, theres rotness island, which is amazing, its all in all a great city overall, i feel its integral to have a presence since their population is getting upwards of 3 million soon and rising, my issue isn't with having a nrl brand there, thats a no brainer, its about having a rugby league footprint that all clubs can use not just to filter into their own 1st grade, otherwise theyll just be another storm leaching/poach in of the the existing clubs... again no biggy, but other bids/areas can provide that

Canard

Immortal
The Sydney clubs are not a global brand and anyone who thinks they are is a delusional idiot.

The only Sydney club that has a profile outside of Australia is the Elmer Fudds, and that's solely because Russell Crowe owns them and runs around America wearing their apparel and pushing them onto his mates in Hollywood. Despite Crowe's efforts, none of his Hollywood mates have bothered to invest in the Elmer Fudds -- or any Sydney RL club for that matter -- yet small NBL clubs like the Brisbane Bullets are owned by former NFL players.

Former NFL 2X Pro Bowl and Super Bowl Champion Vernon Davis Joins Brisbane Bullets Ownership Group

The Brisbane Bullets are pleased to announce that former National Football League star player Vernon Davis has joined the ownership group of the Club.

Davis had an outstanding NFL career spanning 14 years, with highlights including a Super Bowl championship and two NFL Pro Bowl selections. Following his successful football career, Davis transitioned into an astute businessman as well as a trained actor and producer.

“I’m excited to be joining the Brisbane Bullets organisation as a minority owner. Basketball was the first sport that I played growing up, and it has always been a passion of mine to be connected to the sport,” stated Davis.

“Being part of this amazing ownership group provides me the opportunity to be involved in professional basketball in a meaningful way. Moreover, my interest and business in real estate will prove beneficial with the Summer Olympics coming to Brisbane in 2032 as we will look to delve into developing in the city leading up to the Olympics”.

Kal Ross, CEO of the Kal Ross Agency, who has been instrumental in facilitating high profile entertainers and athletes’ pathways into ownership including Davis’, shared the importance of this monumental announcement. “My philosophy is to strategically partner clients with the best possible opportunities that will benefit them in the short and long term to create generational wealth,” stated Ross.

Adding Davis to the ownership group is a strong endorsement of the NBL and another step into securing the long-term successful future for the Brisbane Bullets.

“We are so excited to welcome Vernon to the Bullets family,” said co-managing owners Jason Levien and Jake Silverstein.

“Vernon’s career on and off the field has been very impressive, and as we have gotten to know him and become friends, we recognised that partnering on this project was a natural fit. We are very excited to have him as part of our ownership group.”

Bullets CEO Peter McLennan welcomes Davis to the Club. “Vernon joins what is already an impressive ownership group, we’re extremely lucky as a Club to have such high-profile individuals getting behind what we are building here at the Bullets, and I couldn’t be happier to welcome Vernon to the Club”.

“Coupled with last week’s high-profile announcements of NBA stars Aron Baynes & Tyler Johnson, this news of Vernon joining the Club further highlights the power, interest and capability of the Brisbane Bullets to showcase the city of Brisbane to a global audience and there’s not too many Clubs in Brisbane that can do that”.

“I’m excited to welcome Vernon to the Bullets ownership group, I’m looking forward to seeing him courtside at a game this season”.

ABOUT VERNON DAVIS

Vernon Davis is a retired NFL champion, successful businessman and trained actor and producer. He attended the University of Maryland and was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers as the 6th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft.

He played nine seasons with the 49ers, one season with the Denver Broncos and four seasons with his hometown team, the Washington Commanders (formerly Redskins). He was selected to the NFL Pro Bowl twice and won a Super Bowl with the Denver Broncos in 2016.

After a successful NFL career, Davis transitioned into an astute businessman with an impressive investment portfolio in real estate and film, starting his own production company “Reel 85 Productions” in 2020 focused on developing and producing feature films.

Vernon has been recognized for his film and television credits including starring alongside notable actors such as Bruce Willis (“Day to Die” and “Gasoline Alley”), John Malkovich (“Chariot”) and Morgan Freeman in the 2022 feature film thriller “MUTI.”

Retired NFL player invests in Brisbane Bullets, ergo this is evidence that NRL clubs have no profile in Australia.

I mean f**k me

Colk

First Grade

Yeah Perth is a great city. WA is great as a whole.

I probably wouldn’t have thought of going there if it wasn’t for work (that is probably like most places in Australia - just very expensive to travel in this country) but I’d definitely recommend it.

Pneuma

First Grade
now come on, lets not be disingenuous. You and the others care plenty when its NRL doing better in some metrics and will happily use a comparison to them.

Only fair that we measure ourselves against our main competitor in every metric, and there's probably not many more important than revenue. Revenue drives opportunity for expansion at the top and bottom. No money, no growth. You seriously telling me you dont think the NRL would be in a better position to do more positive things fpr the game if it had $550mill tv revenue rather than $400mill a year?

and there you go with the playground comments again. You seem to get very triggered, maybe discussions about expansion arent for you?
Jesus give your endless whining a break. Your adoration of Gil and the afl is vomit inducing. If our game makes you so bloody miserable follow something else. Otherwise STFU!

Pneuma

First Grade

I probably wouldn’t have thought of going there if it wasn’t for work (that is probably like most places in Australia - just very expensive to travel in this country) but I’d definitely recommend it.
Alternatively Perth is a great hole.

Pneuma

First Grade

The Brisbane Bullets are pleased to announce that former National Football League star player Vernon Davis has joined the ownership group of the Club.​
Davis had an outstanding NFL career spanning 14 years, with highlights including a Super Bowl championship and two NFL Pro Bowl selections. Following his successful football career, Davis transitioned into an astute businessman as well as a trained actor and producer.​
“I’m excited to be joining the Brisbane Bullets organisation as a minority owner. Basketball was the first sport that I played growing up, and it has always been a passion of mine to be connected to the sport,” stated Davis.​
“Being part of this amazing ownership group provides me the opportunity to be involved in professional basketball in a meaningful way. Moreover, my interest and business in real estate will prove beneficial with the Summer Olympics coming to Brisbane in 2032 as we will look to delve into developing in the city leading up to the Olympics”.​
Kal Ross, CEO of the Kal Ross Agency, who has been instrumental in facilitating high profile entertainers and athletes’ pathways into ownership including Davis’, shared the importance of this monumental announcement. “My philosophy is to strategically partner clients with the best possible opportunities that will benefit them in the short and long term to create generational wealth,” stated Ross.​
Adding Davis to the ownership group is a strong endorsement of the NBL and another step into securing the long-term successful future for the Brisbane Bullets.​
“We are so excited to welcome Vernon to the Bullets family,” said co-managing owners Jason Levien and Jake Silverstein.​
“Vernon’s career on and off the field has been very impressive, and as we have gotten to know him and become friends, we recognised that partnering on this project was a natural fit. We are very excited to have him as part of our ownership group.”​
Bullets CEO Peter McLennan welcomes Davis to the Club. “Vernon joins what is already an impressive ownership group, we’re extremely lucky as a Club to have such high-profile individuals getting behind what we are building here at the Bullets, and I couldn’t be happier to welcome Vernon to the Club”.​
“Coupled with last week’s high-profile announcements of NBA stars Aron Baynes & Tyler Johnson, this news of Vernon joining the Club further highlights the power, interest and capability of the Brisbane Bullets to showcase the city of Brisbane to a global audience and there’s not too many Clubs in Brisbane that can do that”.​
“I’m excited to welcome Vernon to the Bullets ownership group, I’m looking forward to seeing him courtside at a game this season”.​
ABOUT VERNON DAVIS
Vernon Davis is a retired NFL champion, successful businessman and trained actor and producer. He attended the University of Maryland and was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers as the 6th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft.​
He played nine seasons with the 49ers, one season with the Denver Broncos and four seasons with his hometown team, the Washington Commanders (formerly Redskins). He was selected to the NFL Pro Bowl twice and won a Super Bowl with the Denver Broncos in 2016.​
After a successful NFL career, Davis transitioned into an astute businessman with an impressive investment portfolio in real estate and film, starting his own production company “Reel 85 Productions” in 2020 focused on developing and producing feature films.​
Vernon has been recognized for his film and television credits including starring alongside notable actors such as Bruce Willis (“Day to Die” and “Gasoline Alley”), John Malkovich (“Chariot”) and Morgan Freeman in the 2022 feature film thriller “MUTI.”​
Potato

Wb1234

Referee

My sister lived there for two years

no way in the world I’d spend five hours on a plane just to visit Perth

mongoose

Coach
Perth is a nice and clean city, it's so damn quiet though. Even Brisbane feels a lot more congested and rat race in comparison...

Wb1234

Referee
Perth is a nice and clean city, it's so damn quiet though. Even Brisbane feels a lot more congested and rat race in comparison...
To me brisbane is almost a country town

heck even Melbourne in peak hour wasn’t so bad

Sydney and Goldie feel like major busy cities