What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

MugaB

Coach

"The expansion to 17 teams will likely be followed by an 18th team in the coming years.

It has been reported that a Perth expansion bid are leading the race, which would add further validity to a 6pm game on a Sunday, given that would be a 4pm kick-off in the Western Australian capital - seen as the perfect time for fans"

There's no actual quotes by anyone regarding this, but it all makes sense via timeslots... and nz having 6pm friday games is pretty much a given, especially since they barely get any F2A here, and if the NRL are happy with 3 sunday games most weeks then perth is the obvious choice... only issue now is it the WA Bears or is it a new franchise.. or will it be Adelaide Bears taking that timeslot (still a time difference but not as much as WA)
Be nice to know who's reported this

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh interesting shift away from Friday 6pm to Sunday evenings, though with a ninth game that might come back into play I suppose?

Nice to read:

The expansion to 17 teams will likely be followed by an 18th team in the coming years.
It has been reported that a Perth expansion bid are leading the race, which would add further validity to a 6pm game on a Sunday, given that would be a 4pm kick-off in the Western Australian capital - seen as the perfect time for fans.

MugaB

Coach
yeh interesting shift away from Friday 6pm to Sunday evenings, though with a ninth game that might come back into play I suppose?

Nice to read:

The expansion to 17 teams will likely be followed by an 18th team in the coming years.
It has been reported that a Perth expansion bid are leading the race, which would add further validity to a 6pm game on a Sunday, given that would be a 4pm kick-off in the Western Australian capital - seen as the perfect time for fans.
"It's all about the fans"
-Lord Peter V'Landys

45755c3f948abbe414981d5de6fd769aa50c8c4a.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade

Nice to read:

Who reported Perth leading race?!

Wb1234

Referee

"The expansion to 17 teams will likely be followed by an 18th team in the coming years.

It has been reported that a Perth expansion bid are leading the race, which would add further validity to a 6pm game on a Sunday, given that would be a 4pm kick-off in the Western Australian capital - seen as the perfect time for fans"

There's no actual quotes by anyone regarding this, but it all makes sense via timeslots... and nz having 6pm friday games is pretty much a given, especially since they barely get any F2A here, and if the NRL are happy with 3 sunday games most weeks then perth is the obvious choice... only issue now is it the WA Bears or is it a new franchise.. or will it be Adelaide Bears taking that timeslot (still a time difference but not as much as WA)
Be nice to know who's reported this
If vlandys brings in Perth over nz2 (he shouldn’t) it’s going to be hilarious all the people on here who bagged him and he’s delivered exactly what they wanted

how they spin it is going to be hilarious

Colk

First Grade
If vlandys brings in Perth over nz2 (he shouldn’t) it’s going to be hilarious all the people on here who bagged him and he’s delivered exactly what they wanted

how they spin it is going to be hilarious

I’ll give him credit if he can get the TV deals to some sort of parity and can fix up the relationship with the NSW government.

It might not be him doing it though. It might be Greg Foran and a new commission.

Wb1234

Referee
I’ll give him credit if he can get the TV deals to some sort of parity and can fix up the relationship with the NSW government.

It might not be him doing it though. It might be Greg Foran and a new commission.
You wanted him sacked

and he could deliver a Perth nrl team something this forum has fapped about since inception

Colk

First Grade
You wanted him sacked

and he could deliver a Perth nrl team something this forum has fapped about since inception

I wanted him sacked because he is an incompetent negotiator. That hasn’t changed as far as I know.

If he learns and recovers from his mistakes then I’ll reconsider my stance on him

Wb1234

Referee
I wanted him sacked because he is an incompetent negotiator. That hasn’t changed as far as I know.

If he learns and recovers from his mistakes then I’ll reconsider my stance on him
So he’s incompetent and will have added a second brisbane team during covid and then either Perth or nz2 ?

do you read what your write lmao

actually if Perth get a team they should build a statue after him outside nib stadium

Colk

First Grade
So he’s incompetent and will have added a second brisbane team during covid and then either Perth or nz2 ?

do you read what your write lmao

actually if Perth get a team they should build a statue after him outside nib stadium

I said that he is an incompetent negotiator. He might have some strengths but negotiation isn’t one of them. He has badly screwed up two negotiations now. We are considerably behind fumbleball on TV deals even if our ratings are better and the NSW government are now pulling out of further stadium funding

Do you have another word for it other than incompetence?

Wb1234

Referee
He
I said that he is an incompetent negotiator. He might have some strengths but negotiation isn’t one of them. He has badly screwed up two negotiations now. We are considerably behind fumbleball on TV deals even if our ratings are better and the NSW government are now pulling out of further stadium funding

He screwed up one tv deal

made a few other minor mistakes

against all the good he has done

The worst thing about the stadium debacle under V'landys and his predecessor is they ignored the best interest of RL across Australia and NZ so they could get the best deal for Sydney's nine clubs. Instead of selling the GF to the highest bidder so they could ship it around the country -- to promote the game and hopefully expand into new markets -- they strung the Queensland Gov along and ensured the GF remained in Sydney until the 2040s. As a Queenslander who loves RL it was a huge "f**k you" from a Sydney-centric administration that I believe is corrupt, biased and incompetent.

To rub insult into injury, seven of Sydney's dumb clubs refuse to make use of them!

South Sydney signed a dumb extention with Stadium Australia and are now whinging because they want out. Tigers would rather play out of dilapidated parks. Bulldogs don't know where they want to play. Dragons and Sharks would rather be hillbilly clubs like Tigers than relocate to the SFS. Manly is just as insular and stubborn as they've always been. The game sacrificed the GF for this monumental waste of resources that are used by a whopping total of two clubs!

I'll add that there's only one well run club in Sydney. The Roosters. Fans of the other Sydney clubs want to shift them to Adelaide because they're jealous of their success. There are clubs In Sydney that do a good job of running junior teams but will never be strong in the NRL because the regions they represent don't have enough capital and people. They're the ones who should relocate interstate or drop back to NSW Cup.

Pippen94

First Grade
The worst thing about the stadium debacle under V'landys and his predecessor is they ignored the best interest of RL across Australia and NZ so they could get the best deal for Sydney's nine clubs. Instead of selling the GF to the highest bidder so they could ship it around the country -- to promote the game and hopefully expand into new markets -- they strung the Queensland Gov along and ensured the GF remained in Sydney until the 2040s. As a Queenslander who loves RL it was a huge "f**k you" from a Sydney-centric administration that I believe is corrupt, biased and incompetent.

To rub insult into injury, seven of Sydney's dumb clubs refuse to make use of them!

South Sydney signed a dumb extention with Stadium Australia and are now whinging because they want out. Tigers would rather play out of dilapidated parks. Bulldogs don't know where they want to play. Dragons and Sharks would rather be hillbilly clubs like Tigers than relocate to the SFS. Manly is just as insular and stubborn as they've always been. The game sacrificed the GF for this monumental waste of resources that are used by a whopping total of two clubs!

You know parramatta is in constant use & allinez will be the same

You know parramatta is in constant use & allinez will be the same
Nice way of missing the point.

The fact remains that 7 out of Sydney's 9 clubs will be playing the bulk of their games out of second rate stadia.

We didn't need to sacrifice the GF just so A-League and ARU could reap the benefits of having new stadia for Western Sydney Wanderers, Sydney FC, NSW Waratahs and Australia Wallabies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NSW govt did their bit, just our clubs are too dumb to benefit from it. We’re a small minded sport run by small minded people who think 12k in a suburban dump is ok for 21st century billion $ sport. It’s quite amazing really that the game has managed to get to where it has.

Latest posts