What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW to expand in 2023 and 24

10$ Ferret

Staff member
The stand alone games were initially not supported by the clubs as it was considered that the exposure for the sponsors would not be as great

Dogs Of War

Coach
This would have it come up against the WBBL which I doubt is a battle the NRLW wants now or at any point TBH given the strength of that competition. .
Which is why I said the Comp needs to finish mid nov if the nrl goes down this path. Minimise overlap but prevent it hitting other sports like cricket as much as possible. Sports starved fans in that window would eat it up.

Valheru

Coach
Which is why I said the Comp needs to finish mid nov if the nrl goes down this path. Minimise overlap but prevent it hitting other sports like cricket as much as possible. Sports starved fans in that window would eat it up.

The WBBL goes from mid October until mid November. NRLW would literally be competing with the whole WBBL season.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The WBBL goes from mid October until mid November. NRLW would literally be competing with the whole WBBL season.

well it should happen. What’s the alternative? Go against nrl mens games? As far as sports timings go it’s as much clear air as you can get.

Valheru

Coach
well it should happen. What’s the alternative? Go against nrl mens games? As far as sports timings go it’s as much clear air as you can get.

I'm not saying it isn't an option, just that it would mean going against the entirety of the WBBL which is really the giant of women's sport in Australia at the moment.

Personally I think it should stay in the traditional footy season. At this stage on its development, with a 10 team comp I would have 9 rounds plus 2 weeks of finals. For the first 7 rounds, 3 games per week as curtain raisers to the NRL and then the other standalone at 1PM Saturday and midday Sunday. First 2 weeks of NRL finals have them all in standalone slots. NRL prelim final weekend I would play NRLW semis as a double header in the sunday arvo.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm not saying it isn't an option, just that it would mean going against the entirety of the WBBL which is really the giant of women's sport in Australia at the moment.

Personally I think it should stay in the traditional footy season. At this stage on its development, with a 10 team comp I would have 9 rounds plus 2 weeks of finals. For the first 7 rounds, 3 games per week as curtain raisers to the NRL and then the other standalone at 1PM Saturday and midday Sunday. First 2 weeks of NRL finals have them all in standalone slots. NRL prelim final weekend I would play NRLW semis as a double header in the sunday arvo.
Then you just have the same problem womens cricket had when it was a curtain raiser for the mens comp. If you want it to stand in its own two feet. Then it needs clean air from the mens comp to attract money and sponsorship to it.

Personally I wouldn’t have had womens clubs associated with mens clubs and would have preferred they formed there own identity. Why repeat the mistakes of how the NRL came to be. Should have been a team representing east, west, north and south Sydney. A club each representing Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich and Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast.

Build it better.

Last edited: