What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Blues 2024

Stinkfinger

Juniors
So it should have ended last year? They tried that but your mate got scared, realised he doesn't belong and got an "injury"

Just for your viewing pleasure, here is the achievements of the great man at rep level

SOO
3 x Player of the match
3 x Brad Fittler Medalist
1 x Player of the series
2 x series winning captain

Australia
RLWC winning captain
Player of the match in the RLWC final

Below are Dylan's rep achievements

lol

That's all he will ever achieve
Give it a miss mate. Edwards will be the 1 if he's fit, and rightly so.

blue bags

First Grade
ideally I’d have

1. Dylan Edwards
2. Brian To’o
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Stephen Crichton
5. Zac Lomax
6. Matt Burton
7. Mitchell Moses

1. Teddy
2. To o
3 critters
4. Latrell
5. Eddie
6. Ethan Strange
7. Moses
8. Barnett
9. Api
10. Hass
11. Liam Martin
12. Angus
13. Murray

Bench.
Haumole Ola
Leniu
Egan
Burton
ZAC

aqua_duck

Coach
McInness is a hooker who has converted to backrow, not the other way round. He has played there for many years and knows the role like the back of his hand. he is high quality there. It would allow Api to play in the halves if needed and one of the halves to then shuffle out to the centres if needed. Meanwhile, Murray is just an exceptional player that would not only cover centre but excel at it if called upon there. You need players with good utility value which is what Qld demonstrated aptly last night.
I don’t think anyone has accused McInness of being a high quality dummy half, he’s purely a defensive dummy half who lacks the running game and creativity required of a modern dummy half, also which half are you putting into the centres Luai or Moses because neither have ever played there. Murray is a great player no question but throwing him into the centres is just a waste.
My issue with your side is you have 4 middles on the bench who are typically all big minute players, Yeo, Haas and Jurbo are all typically big minute players too.
IMO if you have Robson at hooker and Api on the bench wouldn’t that be a better rotation than McInness on the bench when you already have 3 guys who can play 80 minutes at lock in Yeo, Jurbo and Murray?

speedster

Juniors
I don’t think anyone has accused McInness of being a high quality dummy half, he’s purely a defensive dummy half who lacks the running game and creativity required of a modern dummy half, also which half are you putting into the centres Luai or Moses because neither have ever played there. Murray is a great player no question but throwing him into the centres is just a waste.
My issue with your side is you have 4 middles on the bench who are typically all big minute players, Yeo, Haas and Jurbo are all typically big minute players too.
IMO if you have Robson at hooker and Api on the bench wouldn’t that be a better rotation than McInness on the bench when you already have 3 guys who can play 80 minutes at lock in Yeo, Jurbo and Murray?
I think you're struggling with the concept of players having utility value. And if McInness has a running game good enough for him to convert to being a representative lock, your argument that he lacks a running game falls away badly. As for creativity around the ruck from dh, not the best, not the worst which is about the same as Robson frankly.

Players have played in multiple positions during their apprenticeships so we can't say they have never played certain positions definitively unless you've really followed and studied their junior days. If a half had to shuffle one out, it is doable particularly as they already defend next to centres and edge backrowers but, alright, if I have to pick one, Luai.

My bench is a hooker/small, mobile middle, a middle/edge (that can play centre really well if needed and let's face it, shit happens in games like, send-offs and such, so ...) and 2 pure impact middles given that we have enough edge backrowers that actually do play big minutes. No one should be playing 80 minutes at lock in Origin. At edge maybe but Origin is too quick and high intensity. Maguire needs to get his middle rotation right first and foremost to be any hope.

Stinkfinger

Juniors
1. Teddy
2. To o
3 critters
4. Latrell
5. Eddie
6. Ethan Strange
7. Moses
8. Barnett
9. Api
10. Hass
11. Liam Martin
12. Angus
13. Murray

Bench.
Haumole Ola
Leniu
Egan
Burton
ZAC
Both Murray and Yeo have their supporters. The difference between the two is that Yeo supporters realise that Murray is a hard working footballer and just the sort of player NSW need alongside Yeo, who is the best 13 in the game. Murray supporters don't believe Yeo worthy of making the side at all and thereby destroy their own credibility.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think you're struggling with the concept of players having utility value. And if McInness has a running game good enough for him to convert to being a representative lock, your argument that he lacks a running game falls away badly. As for creativity around the ruck from dh, not the best, not the worst which is about the same as Robson frankly.

Players have played in multiple positions during their apprenticeships so we can't say they have never played certain positions definitively unless you've really followed and studied their junior days. If a half had to shuffle one out, it is doable particularly as they already defend next to centres and edge backrowers but, alright, if I have to pick one, Luai.

My bench is a hooker/small, mobile middle, a middle/edge (that can play centre really well if needed and let's face it, shit happens in games like, send-offs and such, so ...) and 2 pure impact middles given that we have enough edge backrowers that actually do play big minutes. No one should be playing 80 minutes at lock in Origin. At edge maybe but Origin is too quick and high intensity. Maguire needs to get his middle rotation right first and foremost to be any hope.
How on earth does middle forward running game=dummy half running game?
Surely you’ve seen how well halves defend in the centres with what Nicho Hynes has dishes up this far and what about in attack? To me why would you not just have someone like Matt Burton who is a top level centre and 5/8th and has the size of a backrower?
I also never claimed any of our locks should be playing 80 however we have 3 locks who can play 80 at club level and in fact are more suited to playing longer minutes as opposed to short stints as are Paulo and Utoikamanu who isn’t a pure impact middle as you incorrectly claim, he’s a starting prop who plays 50+ minutes most weeks, mind you you’ve chosen to leave out the best pure impact middle in the comp who was arguably NSW best middle in game one.

speedster

Juniors
How on earth does middle forward running game=dummy half running game?
Surely you’ve seen how well halves defend in the centres with what Nicho Hynes has dishes up this far and what about in attack? To me why would you not just have someone like Matt Burton who is a top level centre and 5/8th and has the size of a backrower?
I also never claimed any of our locks should be playing 80 however we have 3 locks who can play 80 at club level and in fact are more suited to playing longer minutes as opposed to short stints as are Paulo and Utoikamanu who isn’t a pure impact middle as you incorrectly claim, he’s a starting prop who plays 50+ minutes most weeks, mind you you’ve chosen to leave out the best pure impact middle in the comp who was arguably NSW best middle in game one.
This is getting boring.

A running game is a running game. Please.

Hynes missing a tackle out wide does not mean no one else can ever moonlight out there during a game if needed. That's a massive stretch. Doesn't make sense.

You stated that NSW "already have 3 guys who can play 80 minutes at lock in Yeo, Jurbo and Murray". Neither of us mentioned should but it was part of your reasoning that you used to negate the use of McIness on the bench as someone who covers 2 positions which you disagree with. Fine. Disagree and let it go eh?

I have conceded ages ago that I am happy to leave Leniu in there for Utai and do not wish to argue that one over thanks.

That'll do eh? You have a different opinion which I respect. Let's not bicker thanks.

Sime_11

Juniors
yep should be named on Sunday

Moses has done better in Origin than Hynes

if you're bringing Latrell in, you replace Luai with Walker.

Yeo as the 10 and Jurbo is goneski (thanks for your efforts Jakey)

Murray on the bench to replace McInnes at 13 (let McInnes take the sting out)

speedster

Juniors
What worked last year in Origin III was Murray starting at lock with Yeo on the bench and Moses 7, Walker at 6 (MOTM).

I agree that with Souths back in some form, Mitchell, Walker and Murray teaming up would be a good fit. But they won't drop Luai and Mitchell's commitment is in question just because he said he's worried about his club. I thought they all say they focus on club footy and rep footy then takes care of itself. Do any of the other players declare that they put Origin ahead of their club? Seems a bit excessive.