What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Blues 2024

Howwy

Juniors
You know that reaction most of us have to a bad defeat ? After the punch wears off, we find all manner of rationales to lessen the pain: if only we had this and that, just tighten up such-and-such, then ... where is he ? I know I can beat him ...

I reckon much of the NSW commentary on the inclusion of Mitchell and Moses has had a whiff of this wishful thinking about it, e.g. with QLD somehow being fearful of the changes, Latrell being "in their minds" and Moses "kicking us to victory" etc. etc. but is there the dull basso of the Jaws theme in the background ?

Now there's no doubt LM brings plenty in attack with his strength and power, but in defence ... well it's fair to say that both he and "Critta" will likely be seriously tested on a firm and fast Melbourne track by the likes of Walsh and Hammer (among others). While there are ways and means to cope and stay with opponents who are bigger, stronger even better than you, there is a Real Problem with those who are quicker than you.

If someone has 1 or 2 yards on you, then sometimes it almost doesn't matter how smart you are, how good your skills are, how adept you are at reading the opposing attack, if you just can't get there in time, then the klaxons are going full blast to put it mildly.

My expectation is that Slater will be anxious to test both sides of the NSW defensive line with his speed men, knowing that any breach there likely can't be fixed in time by the cover defence (see: Game 1).

This is by no means to suggest that NSW is in any way pedestrian, but to me this is RL's equivalent to that circumstance in cricket where the fast bowlers touch that 150kph threshhold, where the game changes instantly and chillingly.

As for the kicking game: although it's an essential weapon, in the end it's secondary to the primary attributes of running and passing through the hands. And QLD has a pretty decent kick game as well.

I'd say that on balance this is QLD's to lose, coming down to how well DCE/Dearden can set up their outside backs: NSW will need ways to shut that down, to prevent them getting the ammo to the guns, so to speak. Lord knows QLD itself has written plenty of those sort of chapters in the book of winning against all the odds, why can't NSW do the same ?

Or to put it another way, if NSW play their best, they can win; but if QLD play their best they will win and if they stay "on" for most of the game they should win well [ did anyone else get the impression that QLD seemingly got a little bored, even careless during the middle portion of Game 1 ? ].

Oh well with a little more than 24 hours to go, we'll see just how well all this ages ... ;)

Even though Madge was on the coaching staff at the Storm while Bill was playing there, Madge would have learned more about coaching during his time with the Storm than Bill learned about Rugby League from Madge. Bill is one of the great players of the game. Madge is just very temporarily a Blues coach who learned from him.

Last edited:

Howwy

Juniors
Mitch Moses with a clinical performance. 10 out of 10.

No weak leaks for NSW tonight.
No argument with that. One of those times where all minds came together on the night.

About the only proviso I can come up with is that NSW perhaps didn't finish the job with a 50-plus score, instead QLD eked out an 18-4 2d half, aided by some NSW indiscipline.

Stinkfinger

Juniors
Mitch Moses with a clinical performance. 10 out of 10.

No weak leaks for NSW tonight.
Once again the captain left riding the pine until junk time. He did do some important tackling early but it's strange how the coach named a captain he appears to have little faith in.

Once again the captain left riding the pine until junk time. He did do some important tackling early but it's strange how the coach named a captain he appears to have little faith in.
That’s his role, defence. What I had more of an issue with was his tendency to crash the ball up when we were close to the try line. He done it a few times and was really just a waste of a tackle.

Latest posts