What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Captain --- Who??

Yosh

Coach
Alan Tongue not a bad choice but he never played Origin before and doesnt really stand out as a good choice. I think Gidley is a good choice, but what does Captain mean these days anyways? You cant even talk to the ref, any of them, without getting marched these days.

8Ball

First Grade
Gidley. Only cause there are no other real candidates. Can't be anyone who's never played origin. That would just be ridiculous.

Charlie124

First Grade
Whoever it is would have to be a player who is guaranteed to be selected in the run on side every game, every year for several years to come. For this reason i dont think it can be Gidley, he is only the starting fullback this series because of Stewarts injury, if it wasnt for that he would be coming off the interchange bench.

But who in the NSW team is an absolute walk-up selection every year? Is there a single player in the blues team who will retain his spot next year if he has a shocker in this series? I cant think of anyone.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I hate the idea of Gallen being captain, but he's probably the best candidate.

I genuinely believe that Gidley probably isn't the very best fullback (Stewart when fit and not incarcerated) and really shouldn't be picked out of position - he isn't a utility.

Farah could be a decent option in the future, but is an Origin rookie this year ... and has Ennis breathing down his neck.

The only other option I can think of is Bailey if he is actually in the run on team. It'll probably be his last year and Gidley can be his VC. Worry about a new captain next year.

NGR

Juniors
Gallen will be captain...

easy money to be made this series, maroons will win... :x

KHunt

Juniors
Cooper.

Queenslander fear this bloke more than anyone out there and is the only certainty.

Rusty

Juniors
Gidley- he's a referees pet. Think about it, a couple of weeks ago he got away without being sin binned for a professional foul. Had it been Gallen? No brainer.

Ghoulies

Bench
Cooper is definitely a centre that can nullify our attack
Maybe so, but of all the NSW players that we should be worrying about, Cooper is well down on the list.

Hanscholo

Bench
I'm not sure about Gidley as captain.

Pika made a post not too long ago about how he is getting himself too involved and stifling our attack by getting into first receiver too often. And I think that might be due to his captaincy and feeling he has to make the big plays.

He does that because thats the tactic. not because hes beating his own chest

tdawg

Juniors
My NSW team:

Kurt Gidley
David Williams
Jamie Lyon
Matt Cooper
Jarryd Hayne
John Sutton
Peter Wallace
Luke Bailey
Michael Ennis
Brent Kite
Paul Gallen (c)
Nathan Hindmarsh
Glenn Stewart

Luke Lewis
Trent Waterhouse
Andrew Ryan
Michael Weyman

Anyone disagree?

Last edited:

KHunt

Juniors
:lol::lol: what QLDers have you been talking to mate??

Watch last years first game mate and that's when I first saw why Cooper prides himself on defense.

I mean, I'm sure Cooper's down the list below Gasnier, Turner, Quinn, Monaghan etc :lol: