What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup and NYC Squads

Bob

Juniors
Another factor moving forward next year is that the current coach will not be continuing as Toyota Cup coach. My information is, and this is direct from one of the players in the 20s squad, is that Alex Melville will be taking over as coach next season. That, combined with the huge amount of players in that squad still eligible for next season, should in my opinion see our 20s team improve greatly. Melville is a sensational judge of talent, and will hopefully select players in position next year.
Great news about Alex Melville, he has been a great coach for our juniors

stretcher

Juniors
Great news about Alex Melville, he has been a great coach for our juniors
He has been a good coach for the club but he has had his share of failure as well when he coached an sgball squad with players such as Greg Waddell ,Wade Graham,Mathew Wright and Lachlan Coote in it and only made it to first semi and got beat by Canberra a few years back and in regards to Kirt Horton and the others i think they will be there for sure next year especially the way they have been playing at club footy,,,..

BOMAR

Juniors
Teach, in your opinion who are the players that are playing out of position.

Stretcher, would the canberra side that beat us in the semi's that year have the likes of Josh Dugan, Vidot, Waddell and co. If so very tough opponents,no real disgrace in losing that one.

The Teach

Juniors
Bomar,

There are 2 that spring to mind:
1. Harry Sjeka, who the current coach played at fullback for a few games, when I don't think he'd played there before and should have been in the halves or not in the team at all.
2. Matty Moylan is another that he now plays at fullback, although he does play well there so I don't have as big issue with that selection.

There are a number of others that he seems to chop and change, such as playing Damien Cook who has played 6, 7 and 9 at various stages, even though Cookie does play with 110% enthusiasm in whatever position he plays. He also seems to play favourites with a few players, and seems to dislike others within the squad and gives them minimal game time even though they would be better options than others in the teams he selects.

It's just my opinion, but I think we will be better served with Alex Melville as coach next year, as he seems to have a natural ability to bring out the best in his players.

stretcher

Juniors
Teach, in your opinion who are the players that are playing out of position.

Stretcher, would the canberra side that beat us in the semi's that year have the likes of Josh Dugan, Vidot, Waddell and co. If so very tough opponents,no real disgrace in losing that one.
Actually bomar those guys are a year older than the players i mentioned so sorry good try.........

stretcher

Juniors
Bomar,

There are 2 that spring to mind:
1. Harry Sjeka, who the current coach played at fullback for a few games, when I don't think he'd played there before and should have been in the halves or not in the team at all.
2. Matty Moylan is another that he now plays at fullback, although he does play well there so I don't have as big issue with that selection.

There are a number of others that he seems to chop and change, such as playing Damien Cook who has played 6, 7 and 9 at various stages, even though Cookie does play with 110% enthusiasm in whatever position he plays. He also seems to play favourites with a few players, and seems to dislike others within the squad and gives them minimal game time even though they would be better options than others in the teams he selects.

It's just my opinion, but I think we will be better served with Alex Melville as coach next year, as he seems to have a natural ability to bring out the best in his players.
Actually teach harry has played fullback before in the ball squad this year and last year at his own request im lead to believe and damien cook is a hooker only and is ten times the current midget hooker they have there at the moment the secret to a good coach in my opinion is selecting the right players in the right positions they are comfortable with sure if you think you can create a different position for a player give it a go but if it dosent work dont persist........

The Teach

Juniors
I stand corrected about Harry then Stretcher. Every game I had seen Harry play or whenever I'd seen his name before this year in team lists he had been selected in the halves, so that is interesting that he had played a few games in the juniors as fullback.

BOMAR

Juniors
Actually bomar those guys are a year older than the players i mentioned so sorry good try.........

Dugan, Vidot are the same age as coote and graham, the other players of note for that age group for canberra are crocker,low,mateora,mckilrick.
How many from the penrith side are still in our 20's

BOMAR

Juniors
Can someone confirm if Harry played for patrician bros yesterday against matraville. If so does anyone know why he hasnt been playing 20's

Fibroman

First Grade
The only player in that 20's side that is any chance of playing FG is Greg Waddell. He just needs some luck with injuries. This young bloke plays well above his weight. He is quick on his feet, has a great fend and can pop a pass.

All you idiots that suggested that he will finish in the back row a couple of years ago, go and take your medication. He is built like Brad Tighe. He has ability, and just needs some luck and to be given a chance.

I hope we re-sign him.

MountainMan

Juniors
The only player in that 20's side that is any chance of playing FG is Greg Waddell. He just needs some luck with injuries. This young bloke plays well above his weight. He is quick on his feet, has a great fend and can pop a pass.

All you idiots that suggested that he will finish in the back row a couple of years ago, go and take your medication. He is built like Brad Tighe. He has ability, and just needs some luck and to be given a chance.

I hope we re-sign him.

I don't think he will be the only one with the chance of playing first grade in the 20s,their is a couple others IMO..
I agree he was good and i agree he has had no luck what so ever with injury...but mate how can we re-sign a player that has played no more then 5-10 games if that in the last 2-3 years?
And what about the other centre Malakai Watene,if you had a choice who would you re-sign,Watene has played almost every game every year(schoolboys,ball,20s) and could develop into something,where as greg needs to pretty much start from scratch with his game(confidence,match fitness etc) ??

Fibroman

First Grade
Waddell has something that most of the other kids lack.....natural ability. You can't put a price on that, although I would be throwing 50k at him sign on and 2k bonus for each FG game he plays.

stretcher

Juniors
Waddell has something that most of the other kids lack.....natural ability. You can't put a price on that, although I would be throwing 50k at him sign on and 2k bonus for each FG game he plays.
What a disgrace that 20s coach is this week they havent named the midget mahoney or damien cook in the side and then put a backrower goldsmith in at hooker what has blake south done wrong SGBall player of the year and cant get a run the evidence of failure this has just been displayed good riddons culnane you couldnt coach an under 7s team stick to teaching which your probably hopeless at also.....

Fibroman

First Grade
What a disgrace that 20s coach is this week they havent named the midget mahoney or damien cook in the side and then put a backrower goldsmith in at hooker what has blake south done wrong SGBall player of the year and cant get a run the evidence of failure this has just been displayed good riddons culnane you couldnt coach an under 7s team stick to teaching which your probably hopeless at also.....

Culnane couldn't coach a choko vine over a chicken wire fence.

MrPanther

Juniors

I hope we re-sign him.

whose the idiot to make a statement like that. there are a number of boys in that team who make a very good contribution to that team every week without being flashy. i would say waddell is the least likely to make first grade given his injury record

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Whether young Greg Waddell ever recovers the talent he possessed as a junior remains to be seen.

The point is however our NYC and SG Ball have not performed well in 2010 and while the Harold Matts were successful in winning the crown the boys in that side with considerable talent and some seasons away from FG.

We've had far better NYC sides in the last couple of seasons and other than the obvious standouts, few have gone on to make the grade.

Fibroman

First Grade
whose the idiot to make a statement like that. there are a number of boys in that team who make a very good contribution to that team every week without being flashy. i would say waddell is the least likely to make first grade given his injury record

I must be that idiot. Which player is your son? lol