What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup restructure

alien

Referee
How good could they be with an NRL contract like many of their opposition have ?

some of those jets players should have nrl contracts i reckon. don't some of the broncos 1st grade squad players play for the jets??? i thought i saw the broncos logo on a jets jacket. i was watching the grand finals with my old man today, and when we were watching the state championship, he said to me that the ipswich jets are better than the wests tigers first grade team, lol. maybe the ipswich jets should come into the nrl, and wests tigers just be a nsw cup team, haha

Last edited:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
some of those jets players should have nrl contracts i reckon. don't some of the broncos 1st grade squad players play for the jets??? i thought i saw the broncos logo on a jets jacket. i was watching the grand finals with my old man today, and when we were watching the state championship, he said to me that the ipswich jets are better than the wests tigers first grade team, lol. maybe the ipswich jets should come into the nrl, and wests tigers just be a nsw cup team, haha

Ipswich is Broncos aligned, hence the logo on the jerseys.

Daniel Vidot dropped back to Ipswich through the season and Matt Parcell was Broncos contracted but was shunned once he was going to Manly (also coincided with Nikorima being fit again).

Other than that, none of the Ipswich have NRL contracts.

Speed and size make the NRL a step up even when you and comparing the top Qld Cup team with the bottom NRL team. It is also to be remembered that every Ipswich player also works and are only part-time footballers.

franklin2323

Immortal
How can you guys north of the border say a national reserve grade comp will ruin the QLD Cup. Then in the same breath say 'there's no NRL players playing'. You can't have it both ways.

The QLD Cup version down here became the NRL. So of course QLD Cup would stay strong while NSW Cup struggled. imo why do we need to change something that isn't broke? We are still developing players so leave it as is

XXXX Cap

Juniors
So where are the Broncos, Titans, Storm and Cowboys going to get their Reserve Grade players from ?

siv

First Grade
So where are the Broncos, Titans, Storm and Cowboys going to get their Reserve Grade players from ?

8 players in their Top 25 not actually playing

Plus 9 players from their U20s who have just turned 21

alien

Referee
what if the nrl adds 2 new teams to first grade??? some of the extra 1st grade players will come from nsw cup and qld cup. the nsw cup and qld cup will still survive.

siv

First Grade
Same issue occurred recently when Sunshine Coast, Townsville and the Hunters were added to the QLD Cup

XXXX Cap

Juniors
The Queensland Cup started with 16 clubs in 1996 and now has 14 so it is not like it is continually expanding. In the years before Sunshine Coast and Townsville came in, a number of others had dropped out - Wests, Brothers/Valleys, Toowoomba, Young Guns and Aspley.

PNG is a rare case with a team coming in with its own team from its local competition. Tweed was similar when they entered.

siv

First Grade
Wasnt Aspley promoted to QLD Cup by the Broncos to act the Broncos RG

And the Young Guns werent they NQs U20s beforeNYC started

Last edited:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Yes, but the issue is with the number of available players of a particular level. What the clubs' affiliations are aren't relevant.

siv

First Grade
Each year about 10 x 21 year old players from 16 NRL clubs and 12 QLD Cup FOGS Colts teams are added to the over age playing pool each year

Or 280 players EVERY year

that could be used to support national RG

Qld alone has 150 players graduating from u20s every year

So its pretty easy to get 3 QLD NRL National RG squads of 20 from the QLD 150 player pool

siv

First Grade
RL has proven time and time again

When given an opportunity someone else will step up

But it also means 60 current players will not be lost or forced out

Also in 12 months time the next wave of 280 or 150 QLD players will hit the scene

siv

First Grade
So we now have a NSWRL Platinum League being proposed by Richo as his answer to the NSW Cup restructure

Be interesting to see where this lands after the NRL Clubs and NSWRL get a chance to actually discuss the subject

CC_Roosters

First Grade
New England
Hunter
Central and Far West
Canberra – South West
Illawarra – South Coast
Central Sydney
Canterbury-Bankstown, St George & Sutherland
Northern Beaches – Central Coast
Liverpool- Macarthur
Parramatta
Penrith.

These were the proposed teams in the recent articles. I think the team locations need work and it must incorporate the foundation brands in Norths and the Jets, but its not a bad concept as it embraces the whole state and is being promoted as a standalone competition with a central grant/cap. The first step before a state-wide competition should be to increase country representation in the Harold Matt's and SG ball so that kids don't have to leave their home areas to play in what is a development competition. Some of the much vaunted $100m/year for grassroots should be used to fund junior rep sides in:

-Northern Tigers based in Tamworth covering groups 4,19 and 21
-North Coast Dolphins based in Coffs covering groups 1,2 and 3
-Western Rams based in Bathurst covering groups 10 and 11
-Southern Redbacks- based in ??? covering groups 6 and 7
-Canberra renamed to being Canberra-Monaro covering the CRRL and group 16
-Riverina Bulls- based in Wagga covering groups 9 and 20

So taking the existing Newcastle, Illawarra and Central coast sides we could have a total of 9 country rep sides. I believe this would give a competition of 21 teams when the Sydney districts and WA are included.

My initial 12 team NSW cup would then look like
-Auckland (Warriors)
-Newcastle Rebels (Knights)
-Central coast centurions (Roosters)
-Illawarra Steelers (Dragons)
-Canberra-Riverina based in Wagga (Raiders)
-Western Rams based in Bathurst (Bulldogs)
-New England based in Coffs (Manly. And no whinging about distance you wanted Sunshine coast not so long ago!)
-North Sydney (Rabbits)
-Newtown (Sharks)
-Macarthur Magpies (Wests Tigers)
-Parramatta
-Penrith

siv

First Grade
Total NRL cap for players outside of the Top 25 is $460k today

The proposed Platinum League would have $400k grant to replace the $100k grant

U20s today is $331k cap of $250 base plus $50k beyond top 20 plus $31k

Assuming these NRL caps will double in 5y the Platinum League will look more like a revamped RM Cup than a NRL Reserve Grade

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
My initial 12 team NSW cup would then look like
-Auckland (Warriors) > Lions, probably
-Newcastle Rebels (Knights)
-Central coast centurions (Roosters)
-Illawarra Steelers (Dragons) > Cutters, more likely
-Canberra-Riverina based in Wagga (Raiders)
-Western Rams based in Bathurst (Bulldogs)
-New England based in Coffs (Manly. And no whinging about distance you wanted Sunshine coast not so long ago!)
-North Sydney (Rabbits)
-Newtown (Sharks)
-Macarthur Magpies (Wests Tigers)
-Parramatta > Should bring Cumberland Pickers back.
-Penrith > Should base it in Blacktown

Latest posts