What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup to expand

lturner

Juniors
Siv, you raise some good points but what real value do you see in re-establishing a reserve grade competition?
NRL Clubs are increasingly struggling to turn a profit and it must be remembered that fielding a semi-pro team reserves team requires a considerable financial outlay. Do you think your average supporter really cares how their clubs reserve team is travelling?
We have the potential to develop a strong stand alone second tier competition which could be the equal or even surpass the Qld Cup in profile. But to do this we must develop our second tier clubs into marketable brands and allow them to develop their own identity.

I agree. While I can understand why some might want a proper reserve grade comp, because it is part of the tradition and history of the game, I am not one of those people.

A reserve grade side is really only of interest to existing supporters of that club, and even then only a small sub-section of those supporters, given that they already have first grade and U/20s.

Personally I am much more interested in a comp with stand-alone clubs that have their own idenity. But I think we still want to see the fringe first grade players in this competition.

I agree. While I can understand why some might want a proper reserve grade comp, because it is part of the tradition and history of the game, I am not one of those people.

A reserve grade side is really only of interest to existing supporters of that club, and even then only a small sub-section of those supporters, given that they already have first grade and U/20s.

Personally I am much more interested in a comp with stand-alone clubs that have their own idenity. But I think we still want to see the fringe first grade players in this competition.
But you also have to remember that up until the formation of the NYC, no-one gave a stuff about the U23's/U21's/U19's/U20's. They always got the early kick off and played in front of two wino's and their dog. When the idea came up of bringing in the NYC as something similar to the US Gridiron College system, then interest in these young guys picked up. I remember as a kid that if you missed President's Cup you weren't overly disappointed because the quality of footy was pretty low (and tbh, still is). You got disappointed if you missed Reserves because that is where the past and future 1st Graders plied their trade. People knew who the players were, which local side was their junior club (Joe Bloggs played for Renown Utd, John Citizen for Riverwood Legionaries, etc), and their prospects of cracking 1st Grade.

I am one of those people who want to see Reserve Grade back to the old ways. I cannot stand the current chopping and changing of lower grade sides in the NSW Cup (eg. Cronulla have been the Sharks, Cobras, Newtown Jets, and even stopped fielding a team for a while). Every year I seem to have to explain to someone that this new team from the Metro Cup is replacing another team to become a feeder side to an NRL club. Also, as a St George fan I don't get to see the future 1st Graders in Reserves because they play at Ron Costello Oval in Shellharbour. That place was hard enough to get to when I was living in Wollongong.

Here ends my rant (for now)

I would prefer to see RG re-established, we are very close at the moment, with the NSW and VIC based clubs as a 16 team comp

Souths, CC Bears, Newcastle, Parra, Penrith, Manly, Canberra, Balmain, Wests, Canterbury, Cronulla, Newtown, St George, Melbourne, Easts, Auckland

With the Bundy Cup expanded to be the new NSW Bundy Cup comp with

Wenty, Windsor, Hills, St Marys, Cabramatta, Ryde-Eastwood, Bulls, Northern Rivers (Port M), Northen Div (Singleton), Western Div (Bath), Monaro (Goul), Riverina (Wagga), Illawarra, Southern Div, Adelaide, Perth
f**k Wagga Wagga, Leeton Greens FTW!

lturner

Juniors
But you also have to remember that up until the formation of the NYC, no-one gave a stuff about the U23's/U21's/U19's/U20's. They always got the early kick off and played in front of two wino's and their dog. When the idea came up of bringing in the NYC as something similar to the US Gridiron College system, then interest in these young guys picked up. I remember as a kid that if you missed President's Cup you weren't overly disappointed because the quality of footy was pretty low (and tbh, still is). You got disappointed if you missed Reserves because that is where the past and future 1st Graders plied their trade. People knew who the players were, which local side was their junior club (Joe Bloggs played for Renown Utd, John Citizen for Riverwood Legionaries, etc), and their prospects of cracking 1st Grade.

I am one of those people who want to see Reserve Grade back to the old ways. I cannot stand the current chopping and changing of lower grade sides in the NSW Cup (eg. Cronulla have been the Sharks, Cobras, Newtown Jets, and even stopped fielding a team for a while). Every year I seem to have to explain to someone that this new team from the Metro Cup is replacing another team to become a feeder side to an NRL club. Also, as a St George fan I don't get to see the future 1st Graders in Reserves because they play at Ron Costello Oval in Shellharbour. That place was hard enough to get to when I was living in Wollongong.

Here ends my rant (for now)

I can understand your point, but I disagree that the under 19s is anything like the US college system.

Most people only have a passing interest in the lower grades U19 and RG, so what is the real benefit of running both? You only need one for development of players.

Bro Bear

Juniors
It would be good if the CRL and NSWRL did their job better. The CRL should be pushing for the Country Divisions to enter this competition. So far the CRL have align themselves with the Newcastle Knights. They let the Newcastle Country Division dictate the terms for the proposed NSW Challenge Cup and this has been abandoned for the upcoming season.

Hopefully 2011 will see Manly and Canberra aligned with a Country Division in the NSW Cup.

Lets hope the NSWRL and CRL worry about the game and not themselves.

The NYC is a glorified Flegg comp and the QLD Cup and NSW Cup games should be promoted more.

Have a comp between the NSW and QLD Cup teams, PNG and NZ provinces, SA, WA and NT.

siv

First Grade
I can understand your point, but I disagree that the under 19s is anything like the US college system.

Most people only have a passing interest in the lower grades U19 and RG, so what is the real benefit of running both? You only need one for development of players.

Better development option would be as follows
- all bench players for NRL need to play 40 min of RG or NYC. you can have 8 people on the bench but only 4 can play
- 4 bench players for RG need to have played in NYC. you can have 8 on the bench but only 4 can play

allows real halfbacks and real fullback to be used as replacements if a serious injury occurs

This is for a true RG comp (open age)

Then in a revamped NSW Bundy Cup (open age) - you also play in the state based U18 and U16 comps.

Each NSW Bundy Cup side is paid $250K grant by the NSWRL from their state ARLC grant, with Perth and Adelaide supported to the tuen of $350K from their state cup grants. With a minimum wage of $10K and tehy points based salary cap system

RG has a salary cap of $1 mil on top of the $4 mil today with a minimum wage of $35K

Flapper

First Grade
With the Bundy Cup expanded to be the new NSW Bundy Cup comp with

Wenty, Windsor, Hills, St Marys, Cabramatta, Ryde-Eastwood, Bulls, Northern Rivers (Port M), Northen Div (Singleton), Western Div (Bath), Monaro (Goul), Riverina (Wagga), Illawarra, Southern Div, Adelaide, Perth

Whoa there hold on a sec. You don't include the almighty Brothers, who are ALREADY IN the Bundy Cup, but you include the St Marys scum who AREN'T? No no no, this will not do sir. Are you Don Feltis in disguise?

Last edited:

footy watch

Juniors
you guys are off your head. there will be no expansion while the current nswrl board are still in charge. they are too busy rorting the league with massive salaries and not interested in league

mono_mal

Juniors
Footywatch, perhaps that's been the case in the past though recent initiatives such as added teams, new pools, double headers and the postponed Challenge Cup show that at least someone at the NSWRL is being pro-active in developing the NSW Cup.
Its imperative though that the NSWRL really try to promote their product, the most obvious strategy being to broadcast the match of the round weekly on the ABC. A double header at Henson Park for example could attract near 5000 people if promoted extensively and would look great on TV!

yappy

Bench
You won't get me singing the NSWRL's praises as they have far too long a history of utter failure, but you have to admit they are improving. The last two seasons have been pretty good at NSW Cup level, despite some issues.

Next season's draw with 12 teams and the pool system will address most of those issues. Finally growing a pair to stop the drift of clubs to Qld and waking up to the fact that the NSW Cup was their premier competition will see the comp improve further. We could soon be looking at 14 clubs over 26 rounds (although I will miss the extra games against the other foundation clubs if it happens) with 13 of the 16 NRL clubs having feeder relationships. Whilst ABC won't happen in 2010, 2011 is being seriously looked at (the union arrangement ends next year apparently) by both the league and ABC.

They have a way to go, but they're heading in the right direction.

yappy

Bench
I have the draw, but not the venues as yet. Once I get the full draw (probably Monday) I'll post it.

siv

First Grade
Whoa there hold on a sec. You don't include the almighty Brothers, who are ALREADY IN the Bundy Cup, but you include the St Marys scum who AREN'T? No no no, this will not do sir. Are you Don Feltis in disguise?

The only issue I have is that Penrith is already represented at NRL level

The reason for St Mary's is because there is a huge gap for RL around Blacktown area, and the AFL are looking to exploit it. St Mary's were there before and should still be there. Really don't know why they dropped out of everything after they were Penrith's RG team a few years back.

And if RL is going to take on AFL and Soccor we need to maximise our pressence.

This includes Wests Tigers playing more games out of Campbelltown - rather than trying to be a Ashfield-Leichhardt based team

joejoe

Juniors
I really think free to air coverage is what is needed to give the NSW Cup the profile it needs, and to entice sponsors and supporters to get behind their local teams.